Like Tree176Likes

National Security Law - Banter

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Those who support the new law don't seem to realize that they can also be affected by it. For example, Xi's anti-corruption campaign in HK or Carrie's reshuffling of her cabinet again. It is now easier to accuse other government workers on being soft on national security and make them an example to the rest of government.

MatthieuTofu and juanalias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by historian:
    Those who support the new law don't seem to realize that they can also be affected by it. For example, Xi's anti-corruption campaign in HK or Carrie's reshuffling of her cabinet again. It is now easier to accuse other government workers on being soft on national security and make them an example to the rest of government.
    I think they have no choice to support it or not. And they will try to be ahead of others in their nationalistic speech.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:

Thought I was going to get lynched again....
    I don't think you understand what you have just posted.
    Gatts, MatthieuTofu and eIIe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I don't think you understand what you have just posted.
    As the other thread was closed and everyone was directing their comments to me yesterday, I thought this was quite appropriate....

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    As the other thread was closed and everyone was directing their comments to me yesterday, I thought this was quite appropriate....
    You clearly don't understand what you posted. Be careful. The law has passed now.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    From today's press conference.

https://twitter.com/maryhui/s...67590813065216
    So criticizing police action is now threatening national security? Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...62358397886464

Or they could just want the window dressing.
    That's like saying we should be thankful that Godzilla simply strampled on our city and destroy some districts rather than unleash his atomic breath and burn down the city as well.

Original Post Deleted
    I mean the international reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I mean the international reaction.
    It seems that Europe doesn't do anything, as usual. UK and US might, Trump is so unpredictable, nobody can say for sure. But we are in an election year, maybe this is vote gaining?

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    It seems that Europe doesn't do anything, as usual. UK and US might, Trump is so unpredictable, nobody can say for sure. But we are in an election year, maybe this is vote gaining?
    I hope I am wrong, but I doubt the EU will take any meaningful action apart from words of condemnation. Their decision-making apparatus is very inefficient and their internal division between members means it is difficult to take a unified approach to China. UK on its own probably would be very reluctant to do anything either, but if the US got London's back, then they might develop a stiffer backbone. The US will most likely take the most meaningful action.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast