Like Tree123Likes

Australia: "Safe Haven" Visa / Govt Actions

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Damn, I left my briefcase in Hong Kong on Jan 11th thinking I would be in Aus just for a few weeks and come back to collect it. That was 6 months ago and now my stupid HK coworkers laughing and taking the piss out of me sending pictures of some fungus growing on it. I think my briefcase has become a casualty of COVID and now this travel warning I can not even visit to give it a proper burial

Name:  bag.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  343.3 KB

MandM!, shri, Mrs. Jones and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I'll be interested to know just how "many" will take up that offer...
    I’ll take the passport but doesn’t mean I’d move there at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Damn, I left my briefcase in Hong Kong on Jan 11th thinking I would be in Aus just for a few weeks and come back to collect it. That was 6 months ago and now my stupid HK coworkers laughing and taking the piss out of me sending pictures of some fungus growing on it. I think my briefcase has become a casualty of COVID and now this travel warning I can not even visit to give it a proper burial

Name:  bag.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  343.3 KB
    Joke's on them, they have to share an office with a mold infested briefcase. The next time they'll send you a photo of the bag, reply with an article on Aspergillosis
    shri and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I’ll take the passport but doesn’t mean I’d move there at this moment.
    Don't mean to move there...ever.
    Mrs. Jones and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Don’t judge a book by its cover. The title promises more than the description. I looked into relocating to Aussie, they offered a PR on landing! Plus cash allowances to buy property. Still wasn’t interested.

Australia should offer a PR on landing for any HKPR or HK passport holder if they want their statement to mean anything. US is only offering asylum which is stupid. Singapore Amos Yee went to US for asylum, he spent 18 months in jail in Chicago until it was awarded to him.
    The PR route to Australia is never offered on landing. You need to hold that PR visa before you leave. The fast track of few months comes with the condition of 5 million per head (not 1 dollar less) OR being an international expert in the application. I am not sure who would promise such a thing but predatory immigration consultancies and property agents would put that offer up. Especially with cash allowances for property under the first home buyer policy - that comes with another catch.

To gain access to an Australian passport requires citizenship. Seven years in Australia, under certain visas including the PR, and passing the citizenship test are needed for citizenship. That or join the ADF.

The Australian offer of extension actually appears like a way to weed out the poor from the wealthy HK students already present there. The extension requires health insurance which is pricey as heck. No entitlement to Medicare or the social welfare net.

Caveat emptor.
    Last edited by Fymmie; 10-07-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Grammar ack

Is it worth it to fight from freedom and democracy? I guess you could ask the people from the former USSR. I'd say the majority of Romanians, Bulgarians, Czech, Slovaks and people from former Yugoslavia would say yes... Perhaps it would also just have been easier to let the Nazis win the second world war.

The CCP in China stands for repression, corruption, censorship and autocracy. One can be a collaborator making money out of it or one can at least mitigate the damage... Very easy to see where some people stand.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8