Like Tree25Likes

Covid-19: HK - Domestic Helper Quarantine Changes

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Covid-19: HK - Domestic Helper Quarantine Changes

The Secretary for Food and Health, Sophia Chan on Tuesday said foreign domestic helpers will need to test negative for Covid-19 before they're allowed to enter Hong Kong, and they will also have to undergo mandatory quarantine for 14 days at a hotel.

Chan said because flats in Hong Kong are small, it was important for domestic helpers to have effective quarantine somewhere where they can have a single room and not have to share a toilet.

And she said their employers will have to pay for their tests, and their 14 days stay in a hotel.
    From: https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...7-20200708.htm

Original Post Deleted
    Point our fingers at, while aircrew, US and British citizens share quarters, yes.

Penalize, I don't know. A hotel may be a significant upgrade in accommodation and peace for a helper!

I cant remember where I saw it but some helpers that returned complained that even though they were put in a hotel for quarantine by their employers, it was left to the helper to sort out their own food for the 14 days. This will continue to happen if the govt doesnt put in full guidelines and prevent abuse of the poor helpers.

Send the helpers to govt quarantine and charge the employers 200 per day or what ever the cost was, at least they get fed 3 times a day, the cost is a lot less than hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I cant remember where I saw it but some helpers that returned complained that even though they were put in a hotel for quarantine by their employers, it was left to the helper to sort out their own food for the 14 days. This will continue to happen if the govt doesnt put in full guidelines and prevent abuse of the poor helpers.

Send the helpers to govt quarantine and charge the employers 200 per day or what ever the cost was, at least they get fed 3 times a day, the cost is a lot less than hotels.
    Yeah, that's a valid concern.

Overall though, I think that raising barriers to FDH employment in HK is generally a good thing.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0070700833.htm

As some recent confirmed cases of COVID-19 involved persons exempted from compulsory quarantine, starting tomorrow (July 8), crew members of aircrafts and vessels entering Hong Kong via the Hong Kong International Airport will be subject to a mandatory COVID-19 testing at the DH Temporary Specimen Collection Centre at the AsiaWorld-Expo, in addition to a 14-day medical surveillance, upon arrival.
    "surveillance" means stay at home limiting possible infection to your household members presumably.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    "surveillance" means stay at home limiting possible infection to your household members presumably.
    Staying at home would be quarantine

From the exemption letter:

After returning to Hong Kong, the following person will be subject to medical surveillance arranged by the Department of Health during his/her stay in Hong Kong, and will be required to wear masks and check body temperature daily, as well as to report to the Department of Health on any discomfort

Your idea of sending them to government quarantine is a good idea. I guess though the government doesn’t want to pay? This whole thing feels a bit like a scam. They made deals with certain hotels and now those hotels will make some money out of this. Give out some possible pay backs too for whoever helped them.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    Your idea of sending them to government quarantine is a good idea. I guess though the government doesn’t want to pay? This whole thing feels a bit like a scam. They made deals with certain hotels and now those hotels will make some money out of this. Give out some possible pay backs too for whoever helped them.
    Given how screwed the hotel industry is, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about conspiracies on this front.

These hotel arrangements are already significantly under their standard pricing.

Does a helper have to leave HK at the end of her contract? Or can she renew / change employers and remain in Hong Kong (and therefore this quarantine business does not apply)?

Original Post Deleted
    Really? Any good discounts to be had? Asking for a friend.
    drumbrake likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast