Like Tree21Likes

Pro-democracy primaries voting. This weekend July 11 - 12

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Any bets on how this will all go down? With 600,000+ turning out for the primaries, it's not looking too good for the pro-Beijing camp. They must be plotting they way to remain in control... I feel a bit naive and can't say I can see how this will play out. The pro-democracy side has prepared "lists" of candidates so they have back-ups ready...
    I think it's clear that either they will pull out all the stops (disqualifications, ballot stuffing, outright cheating), or they will ram through changes which make LegCo even less relevant than, let's face it, it already is. I do not think there is a snowball's chance in hell they will allow anything even vaguely resembling a free and fair election which could produce a parliament which will actually oppose the government.

Opposing the executive branch through the legislative branch is subversion.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20200714.htm

"Every political party may conduct primary elections, but conducting primary election in this format, in this scale and the way that they are conducting it, giving the picture that they are doing something under authorisation of government, people may even think the government is doing it, this is not allowed," said Priscilla Leung. Which is surprising as the government was saying it looked illegal before the event.

Elegiaque and Coolboy like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Clearly he is willing - possibly even eager - to become a martyr to the cause. I admire his courage, and I guess you might say he is slightly naive, but a mild-mannered non-violent professor would make a hell of a test case to show the world...
    AsianXpat0 and MatthieuTofu like this.

A recap of the winning candidates by HKFP
    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/16/ho...me-out-on-top/

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4