View Poll Results: What does our new normal look like?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • - Indefinite country specific lockdowns with affected economy, travel, etc

4 14.81%
  • - Acceptance that COVID-19 is here to stay and a focus on treatment versus prevention

10 37.04%
  • - A hybrid of #1 and #2, punctuated by a series of stop and start lockdowns

8 29.63%
  • - ? Who knows ?

8 29.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree75Likes

Endless Lockdowns - Australia, HK, Japan, Israel - The New Normal?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You really are an idiot.
    Speaking of idiots - Congratulations - in 14 years, you are the first I've ignored for continuous egregious stupidity. Bye
    Last edited by TigerSun; 27-07-2020 at 03:20 PM.

i assume everyone still remembers where the airport is.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun:
    Speaking of idiots - Congratulations - in 14 years, you are the first I've ignored for continuous egregious stupidity. Bye
    Thank goodness for that.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Open yourself up to the possibility that I actually know more about good public policy than you do.
    Open yourself up to the possibility that you are an idiot and what you think is good public policy is in fact stupid and sometimes downright evil.

Everytime you post on covid-19, the reader should remind themselves you advocated forcibly removing children from their parents, rounding them up in concentration camps and deliberately infecting them with coronavirus.

Then remind themselves this is just the most egregious in the long line of your stupid ideas that you have been forced to adopt rather than admit you were simply wrong in the first place.

Good public policy, my arse.

Would you please stop banging on about that suggestion (from months ago...) at every opportunity. You're now framing it like an anti vaxxer shrieking about "sticking syringes full of genetically engineered deadly virus serum into children".

As I recall, early on there was some suggestion from the scientists that Covid was borderline harmless to kids. We now know a bit better but that was the view emerging.

*If* it was true, *if* immunity after infection was permanent, and *if* it was organised properly it might have been a way to avoid having to close down schools and completely fuck up the education of millions of kids, while also saving tens of thousands of lives from child-to-adult transmission.

In the end clearly it doesn't fly. But if you can't cope with someone thinking out loud on the internet that's no one's issue but yours.

Some are really good at giving “human rights” a bad name Totally insane to agree that senior citizens (read: long term tax payers) should give way for younger citizens. It’s like using Covid-19 to kill the weakest to pave the way for the rich and the young to live on!
    The ethics of some hypocrite profilers living in denial and repeatedly framing every nitty gritty to their advantage, is just beyond comprehension.

TheBrit, TigerSun and MatthieuTofu like this.

Well to set the record straight about Australia's handling of COVID-19, which varied depending on which state you were in. Victoria ( my home state ) and Sydney being the most populous city's in the country imho, farked up, and feel reasonably satisfied that we closed our Qld state borders and the airlines with restrictions early on that kept our COVID-19 cases to a single handful.

Thankfully our state premier Annastacia Palaszczuk had enough common sense/foresight to impose varying levels of lock down internally. We had the stay home mandate a few months ago, with gyms, cafes, bars, schools, beaches and leisure centres etc all closed, then they gradually opened them up again over the last month and removed the radius from home distance restrictions and lifted the visitors to ones home restrictions too.

We have a more obvious population of elderly, as it's pretty popular with retiree's from all over Australia to move up here due to the far more temperate climate. Anna P was patently aware of this fact and I think she has done a pretty good job ( I like her as far as politicians go ) of getting a handle on the pandemic up here, likely helped by, that we are MUCH less densely populated than say Melbourne and Sydney are thanks to being considerably larger in land area (spread out more ).

As a few of my family are now locked down in Melbourne and dotted along Victoria's Surf Coast, I must admit it's a bit of a concern with how rapid the increase of 100's of cases being reported every single day, now.

I think if one keeps away from Melbourne and Sydney, ( Melbourne especially) where if the number of infected folks keeps increasing at the rate that it has, even their very well established medical system that has served them well is not going to cope well in the future, its coping for the moment but if the cases start to accelerate into the 1000's per day, its going to be a BIG problem.

Unfortunately because of a few self centred people who didnt heed common courtesy and just obey the small amount of restriction they had early on, now the genie is definitely been let out of the bottle in Australia's Southern States.

So, expect Lock down with police and military personnel randomly door knocking to make sure that people that are infected are actually staying home, with a soon to be mandated 5km radius of their home movement perimetre imposed and even then, only to be able to shop for food and go directly home, with pretty decent fines if you are caught doing anything other than essential needs.

WE had a pretty well publicised case of 3 Twenty something girls who snuck across the QLD border, one or two of them infected when they returned, who are now looking at 5 years jail for lying on their airport entry cards of where they came from and the fact that they crossed the border with no care to anybody but their selfish selves.

Anyway, for the moment, I am not all that concerned and reasonably satisfied with the decisions our state has made, so things are running pretty normally here at the moment.

Last edited by Skyhook; Yesterday at 06:57 AM.
    gigglinggal and Mr Chips like this.

Is this the same Australia that showed live rugby with an utterly packed stadium yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Is this the same Australia that showed live rugby with an utterly packed stadium yesterday?
    Rugby played and broadcasted from Brisbane, then yes. I think Perth is also fine. Most of the AFL teams from Melbourne have also moved up here to the Gold Coast to live/train etc by order of their team bosses....and will play most of their matches up here until further notice. I am just waiting for Melbourne to announce when they'll shift the Australian Open from the Melbourne Tennis centre to up here, which would be a welcome bonus for me.

All good from my POV as we'll get most of the big ticket spectator sports that can't play in Melbourne/Sydney.
    Last edited by Skyhook; Yesterday at 09:30 AM.

Developed world communities without significant international connections and lower living density have done better in having lower infection rates

Key political factors seem to be
    - Locking borders early
    - Adoption of masks early
    - Good track and trace

Name:  20200530_FBC771.png
Views: 88
Size:  124.5 KB

South Island, Tasmania or Prince Edward Island probably should not be claiming that much political credit. Being remote and not having mass transit, tower housing blocks and malls rammed with people is more of a reason.