Like Tree228Likes

People not following mask rules - what to do when you see them?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...m_medium=web2x

Lucky we are in HK. Imagine having to crack this guy's jaw for getting in your face even more agressively because you called him out on not wearing a mask.
    Last edited by RMDNC; 04-08-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    Wow, this all for simply being asked to wear a mask?!

The world just needs love and peace...

Tired of all these "Karens".

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by hike:
    To be clear, I kayak alone or with family and wear a mask right up until I board (thanks to the crowd of old people that gather and even touch my kayak as I set up for launch).

Absolutely @jgl. Masks are more about herd immunity or a vaccine rather than an individual’s medical treatment. Masks prevent the spread more than they block the receiving. Those masks with filters that allow air out are selfish and defeat the whole purpose. My kids’ school banned them and the parent reaction was swift, but fortunately reason prevailed.

About air flow, try exercising in N95 masks with/without a filter and then with a surgical mask.

I have kayaked in horrid pollution with a mask I can tell you kayaking with a surgical mask is not that hard as compared to an N95 mask. The airflow is significantly different. I find that surgical masks get wetter more easily and thus make breathing harder, but then that’s because AIR (including oxygen) is being blocked.
    The N95 ones with or without outflow valves, I have personally not found much difference in wear comfort. The valve is so small that I think that a lot, if not most, of outgoing air still permeates through the mask material. And the air that does make it out the valve is directed straight downwards into the wearer's chest (this is based only on the 3M 8000 series ones, which I have an unused cache of). I think they're still quite a reasonable thing to use, initially I only brought up the topic because some people have obviously never put any thought into how they work.

I haven't worn a surgical mask for months, I prefer reusable fabric ones. But yes, they were much easier to breathe around than N95.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this, why would you use a surgical mask when exercising in high pollution? They are not going to help with pollution, for that you need to be filtering air through the membrane. In the past when I've exercised in polluted environments (cycle commuting in London) I've worn a Respro. In HK, I avoid going out when the air is bad.

I find a difference with and without 3M valves for N95, not only for breathing but also in the way water vapour is released. The valve results in less fogging up of my glasses.

I use surgical mask as a last resort. I use masks or scarves more often when the air is very dry and cool. It helps keep my mouth / throat humid especially when it’s windy.

That said, as for pollution a surgical mask can be used as a last resort. It does help especially if there is lots of marine traffic, there must be particles that are PM10 or larger. I also have noticed the same for older diesel vehicles.

As for general PM2.5, surgicals are probably useless.

If there are gases in the air, usually later in the year, a carbon filter (protestor style) mask is more suitable. I used them in 2018, but skipped it in 2019 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The N95 ones with or without outflow valves, I have personally not found much difference in wear comfort. The valve is so small that I think that a lot, if not most, of outgoing air still permeates through the mask material. And the air that does make it out the valve is directed straight downwards into the wearer's chest (this is based only on the 3M 8000 series ones, which I have an unused cache of). I think they're still quite a reasonable thing to use, initially I only brought up the topic because some people have obviously never put any thought into how they work.

I haven't worn a surgical mask for months, I prefer reusable fabric ones. But yes, they were much easier to breathe around than N95.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this, why would you use a surgical mask when exercising in high pollution? They are not going to help with pollution, for that you need to be filtering air through the membrane. In the past when I've exercised in polluted environments (cycle commuting in London) I've worn a Respro. In HK, I avoid going out when the air is bad.
    jgl likes this.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by hike:
    I find a difference with and without 3M valves for N95, not only for breathing but also in the way water vapour is released. The valve results in less fogging up of my glasses.

I use surgical mask as a last resort. I use masks or scarves more often when the air is very dry and cool. It helps keep my mouth / throat humid especially when it’s windy.

That said, as for pollution a surgical mask can be used as a last resort. It does help especially if there is lots of marine traffic, there must be particles that are PM10 or larger. I also have noticed the same for older diesel vehicles.

As for general PM2.5, surgicals are probably useless.

If there are gases in the air, usually later in the year, a carbon filter (protestor style) mask is more suitable. I used them in 2018, but skipped it in 2019 for some reason.
    If you're out doing serious and extended exercise, you might be better served with a respirator setup. The 3M 60000 series cartridges are for gasses, and you can place a P100 prefilter unit over them for particulates. Very comfortable compared to any cloth or disposable mask.

The only two downsides I can think of are that they are unlikely to enjoy being doused with salt water (I don't know how tippy a kayak is) and they might not play well with glasses.
    hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I forgot to put my mask on this evening when I popped out - made it down in the lift of my tower, out of the lobby, past the doorman, into the building courtyard before I realised. Nobody said a word to me!

I live in a pretty local area, they were probably all just thinking "oh yeah, there goes the dumb gweilo who thinks he doesn't need a mask"...
    Probably not after you went back and retrieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    surprized there is no app to report violators
    This is why HK needs to catch up and get the facial recognition technology that China are raving about!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12