Like Tree84Likes

What aspect of the pandemic has affected you most personally?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What aspect of the pandemic has affected you most personally?

So tell me, what aspect of the pandemic has affected you most personally?

1. Income
    My income has been slashed in half, but at least I still have money coming in each month. I know quite a few friends, both expat and locals, who are laid off and struggling to find work in this economic climate. So has the pandemic affected your income in any way?

2. Childcare
    With no idea when schools can resume and given the limited childcare services provided in this city, having at kid at home all day is tough. Some of you may got a maid at home, but that is not a long-term substitute for school and teachers. For those of you with kids, who are you dealing so far?

3.Can't go anywhere
    With the spike in cases and renewed stricter social distancing measures, where can you in HK these days on a weekend?

Have been in stay at home lockdown with the kids since March.

I was offered a new job with 40% increase in pay back in March...
    but I had to reject it because labor market was getting horrible, and I did not want to risk job security.

(current company offers amazing job security. I have been getting full payment, zero pressure for layoff)

Probably would have been happier with additional pay if I accepted the job offer with the absence of COVID

Last edited by simpsjk; 03-08-2020 at 10:26 AM.

1. Salary slashed 15% but for 3 months only so still ok

2. Im WFH on and off but we have a helper as well plus the Mother in law in the next building, still this no school is making my kid more lazy, more youtube addict lol and driving me crazy to the point of me wanting to go to the office for a breather

3. Since Im WFH, I take the kid out for a long walk as being stuck inside all day/night for a few days can make anyone bonkers, even made the mrs come with us on Sat during T3 and we got drenched but we all enjoyed it, asked her to join us again yesterday, she gave me the feck off look. We have a nice large fish/turtle pond in Chai Wan Park where we can go and feed them, get out for some fresh air. Everywhere else is closed.

I have been fighting tooth and nail to stay in China and not go back to HK. Almost no covid restrictions here.

It's funny as in the past, it was the other way around.

civil_servant and Morrison like this.

Have been "saved from myself" by having an acute ankle injury back at the beginning of the year and then a worse knee problem at the beginning of June . Haven't been able to get out, so am merely becoming increasingly pathetically grateful for a flat with all conveniences, lots of natural light and views of nicer bits of the outside world.

HK_Katherine and irisboards like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    So tell me, what aspect of the pandemic has affected you most personally?

1. Income
    My income has been slashed in half, but at least I still have money coming in each month. I know quite a few friends, both expat and locals, who are laid off and struggling to find work in this economic climate. So has the pandemic affected your income in any way?

2. Childcare
    With no idea when schools can resume and given the limited childcare services provided in this city, having at kid at home all day is tough. Some of you may got a maid at home, but that is not a long-term substitute for school and teachers. For those of you with kids, who are you dealing so far?

3.Can't go anywhere
    With the spike in cases and renewed stricter social distancing measures, where can you in HK these days on a weekend?
    Honestly? I've done a 180. I'm loving lockdown. Went from dreading it to relishing it, now dreading it will end! I'm finally 'properly' WFH which helps I think. I've rediscovered my love of trail running, getting more quality time with my boys, and I'm saving a bit more money than I was. I've been to more parties at people's houses in the past week than the five years previous lol! I'd never been to a village house prior...now I'm contacting estate agents. Funny life's twists and turns!

Long may it continue I say!
    Jackie1 and irisboards like this.

I've been out of work since December - obviously not initially due to the virus, but I can't help but partially blame the situation for me not being able to find anything since then. I've had some personal health issues this year, and I'd actually started to get into something of a minor gym routine before everything locked down again.

There is a constant level of low-level stress from worry about the virus. Masking no doubt helps, but it also contributes to the stress - it's not very comfortable, it makes everything a little bit weird in public, and I've had a couple of moments of 'panic' when I've gone out and forgotten to wear one.

The combination between person, financial and relationship stress from the lack of work, plus constant stress from the virus, has really not been good for my head this year...

Y'know, and then the political situation(s) here and elsewhere don't help.

Elegiaque and irisboards like this.

All in all COVIDs been amazing, I wouldn't mind a couple more years of this.

Perhaps the only downside is that I cant really travel anywhere, but then again there is quite a lot to do and explore still here in taiwan.

I worked since previously at home as well, so no big change there and my income has increased ~50% since covid started(I work in an industry that benefits from lockdowns), so that's also nice.

Jackie1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    All in all COVIDs been amazing, I wouldn't mind a couple more years of this.

Perhaps the only downside is that I cant really travel anywhere, but then again there is quite a lot to do and explore still here in taiwan.

I worked since previously at home as well, so no big change there and my income has increased ~50% since covid started, so that's also nice.
    What do you do may I ask? I am curious to know.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast