Like Tree24Likes

Covid-19: Aug 4th - 75 Local Cases

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Bugger me. Wet Markets and fish stalls is not good but why would you not shut them immediately?
    fish stalls in different markets can't be a coincidence, I wonder if the market stalls had fish delivered by the same driver

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    fish stalls in different markets can't be a coincidence, I wonder if the market stalls had fish delivered by the same driver
    or the same salmon in china?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    fish stalls in different markets can't be a coincidence, I wonder if the market stalls had fish delivered by the same driver
    I assume it's just environmental - Lots of ice and cold water. Notice how you get cold and catch a 'cold'? Being cold makes you much more vulnerable to the coronavirus that causes 'colds'. Sticking your hands in iced water all day sounds very plausible to me.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    491

    jul 22 first day of 100+ cases
    jul 23 100+ cases
    jul 24 100+ cases
    jul 25 100+ cases
    jul 26 100+ cases
    jul 27 145 cases
    jul 28 106 cases
    jul 29 118 cases ............................... breakfast / lunch restriction day 1
    jul 30 149 cases ............................... breakfast / lunch restriction day 2
    jul 31 121 cases ............................... breakfast / lunch reopens, election postpones
    aug 1 124 cases ............................... stay the fuck home and be miserable
    aug 2 115 cases ............................... our great leader finds a solution
    aug 3 78 cases ................................. chinese doctors arrive
    aug 4 80 cases
    aug 5 about 85 cases

    Last edited by aquaman; 05-08-2020 at 02:35 PM.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Notice how you get cold and catch a 'cold'?
    That's an old wives' tale. You don't catch a cold from being cold. You catch a cold from a virus. The reason more people catch a cold in cold weather is because they stay indoors more often where the virus spreads more easily. You also won't catch a cold from running around outside with wet hair or while not wearing enough, but you might get hypothermia which compromises your immune system and make you more susceptible to a viral infection.

    If your job is sticking your hands into ice water all day your immune system will be used to that and nothing will happen at all it.
    TheBrit, Gatts, mused and 2 others like this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,461
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    That's an old wives' tale. You don't catch a cold from being cold. You catch a cold from a virus. The reason more people catch a cold in cold weather is because they stay indoors more often where the virus spreads more easily. You also won't catch a cold from running around outside with wet hair or while not wearing enough, but you might get hypothermia which compromises your immune system and make you more susceptible to a viral infection.

    If your job is sticking your hands into ice water all day your immune system will be used to that and nothing will happen at all it.
    Completely right - very unusually Being cold increasing the chance of catching is a cold is absolute nonsense .

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Completely right - very unusually Being cold increasing the chance of catching is a cold is absolute nonsense .
    A post of you not calling me or anyone else names, even more unusual
    shri and drumbrake like this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Completely right - very unusually Being cold increasing the chance of catching is a cold is absolute nonsense .
    Old wives tails and absolute nonsense that just happen to be supported by research into local immune system responses in cold environments and the ability of rhinoviruses to replicate more efficiently in the same.

    Nobody is claiming cold weather makes you sick, but old wives tales are often proven to have a grounding in science.

    https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ut-in-the-cold

    Cold weather and respiratory disease, including flu, also go hand in hand. Research has shown that cold spells are reliably followed by upticks in the number of deaths from respiratory disease. Some of this may have to do with a few infectious organisms, like flu viruses, thriving in colder temperatures, but there's also evidence that exposure to cold temperatures suppresses the immune system, so the opportunities for infection increase. A study published in The New England Journal of Medicine in the late 1970s famously debunked the belief that the common cold is linked to cold exposure, but British cold researchers have maintained that there is a cold–to–common cold connection. Their hypothesis: cold air rushing into the nasal passages makes infections more probable by diminishing the local immune response there.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,555

    P2P infection from fisherman to driver to fishmonger (or some family member or something) seems far more likely than it coming from the fish itself ('infected' salmon in China 'case') nor anything about sticking your hands in ice for too long. If anything environmental it's not the abundance of ice keeping the fish cold, but the fact that markets in HK aren't exactly that clean!

    TheBrit likes this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    but the fact that markets in HK aren't exactly that clean!
    That's part of my thinking too - if covid is spread more efficiently by droplets then everywhere being constantly wet or damp seems unlikely to help.

    'not exactly Clean' applies not just to surfaces with brown gunk, but in covid terms, anything that allows it to replicate and hang around more easily....

    It seems more likely than delivery's of infected goods from a single common source - packages and good containing enough virus to infect individuals hours or days later is a level of paranoia that's unjustified on current evidence.

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2