Like Tree571Likes

NSL - Jimmy Lai and Apple Daily Arrests

Reply
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,478

    I guess the scenario of Apple Daily being forced to closed is one step closer. Freedom of assembly and academic freedom were already questionable, now here goes freedom of the press.


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Hong Kong SAR China
    Posts
    1,681

    They don't even need to force Apple Daily to close. It's more efficient to simply scare enough of their staff into resigning / changing their editorial stance which is the probable objective of this raid.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    They don't even need to force Apple Daily to close. It's more efficient to simply scare enough of their staff into resigning / changing their editorial stance which is the probable objective of this raid.
    That would probably work for any other newspaper or media outlet in HK. But Apple Daily is known to be defiant in the face of authorities. That is their trademark brand. To change or dilute that would mean losing their existing readership. I think therefore they would rather close than compromise their editorial independence. So my negative/grim prediction is that the Daily will be closed rather than be "harmonized".

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Hong Kong SAR China
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That would probably work for any other newspaper or media outlet in HK. But Apple Daily is known to be defiant in the face of authorities. That is their trademark brand. To change or dilute that would mean losing their existing readership. I think therefore they would rather close than compromise their editorial independence. So my negative/grim prediction is that the Daily will be closed rather than be "harmonized".
    Agree. My main point is that the authorities will never force Apple Daily to close; they will just create the conditions whereby they "voluntarily" close.
    Taxmyass, ramelec and Mrs. Jones like this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,083

    Jimmy Lau brought into the office on the live feed...

    https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...atch_permalink


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    106

    disappeared?

    let’s see....highly unlikely


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Agree. My main point is that the authorities will never force Apple Daily to close; they will just create the conditions whereby they "voluntarily" close.
    "Voluntarily" be coerced to close.
    Taxmyass likes this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    227

    With the overwhelming no. of police officers entering the headquarters of apple daily makes me wonder who they have hiding in there. ISIS?


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    42,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxmyass:
    With the overwhelming no. of police officers entering the headquarters of apple daily makes me wonder who they have hiding in there. ISIS?
    Or a certain Malaysian financier.
    muzzdang and Mrs. Jones like this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    42,355

    Atleast they're allowing him to use the toilet, I guess on humanitarian grounds.

    https://twitter.com/dgittings...58687056568320

    https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...56990028615680


Reply
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast