Like Tree571Likes

NSL - Jimmy Lai and Apple Daily Arrests

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

I guess the scenario of Apple Daily being forced to closed is one step closer. Freedom of assembly and academic freedom were already questionable, now here goes freedom of the press.

They don't even need to force Apple Daily to close. It's more efficient to simply scare enough of their staff into resigning / changing their editorial stance which is the probable objective of this raid.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    They don't even need to force Apple Daily to close. It's more efficient to simply scare enough of their staff into resigning / changing their editorial stance which is the probable objective of this raid.
    That would probably work for any other newspaper or media outlet in HK. But Apple Daily is known to be defiant in the face of authorities. That is their trademark brand. To change or dilute that would mean losing their existing readership. I think therefore they would rather close than compromise their editorial independence. So my negative/grim prediction is that the Daily will be closed rather than be "harmonized".

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That would probably work for any other newspaper or media outlet in HK. But Apple Daily is known to be defiant in the face of authorities. That is their trademark brand. To change or dilute that would mean losing their existing readership. I think therefore they would rather close than compromise their editorial independence. So my negative/grim prediction is that the Daily will be closed rather than be "harmonized".
    Agree. My main point is that the authorities will never force Apple Daily to close; they will just create the conditions whereby they "voluntarily" close.
    Taxmyass, ramelec and Mrs. Jones like this.

Jimmy Lau brought into the office on the live feed...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...atch_permalink

disappeared?

let’s see....highly unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Agree. My main point is that the authorities will never force Apple Daily to close; they will just create the conditions whereby they "voluntarily" close.
    "Voluntarily" be coerced to close.
    Taxmyass likes this.

With the overwhelming no. of police officers entering the headquarters of apple daily makes me wonder who they have hiding in there. ISIS?

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmyass:
    With the overwhelming no. of police officers entering the headquarters of apple daily makes me wonder who they have hiding in there. ISIS?
    Or a certain Malaysian financier.
    muzzdang and Mrs. Jones like this.

Atleast they're allowing him to use the toilet, I guess on humanitarian grounds.

https://twitter.com/dgittings...58687056568320

https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...56990028615680

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast