Like Tree17Likes

Privacy Concerns - New HK Govt I Am Smart App

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    At a population level, mobility data is slowly being used for social distancing and predictive purposes... globally.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It's a shame but a lot of people have the "nothing to hide, nothing to worry about" mentality.

Yes, the government does have all of our faces on file but they are very low resolution. Photos taken using your phone will have significantly more biological (depth) data available than what is currently on file.

Original Post Deleted
    Any genuine “tin-foil hatter” would already be one step ahead of what you mentioned in the first paragraph, or you face being like BBE, already at the stage of being too late to worry about it.

Yes they can cross-reference my ID manually if they think it necessary to, but for instance I don’t do credit card auto top-ups for Octopus, despite the monetary rewards (I’m a cheapo), although I don’t go as far as the forum member I see who surrenders it every 6 months.

The real question is why they need the actual ID and not just the number as mentioned by DeletedUser, and whether the Face ID thing can be used against video footage past or future. Maybe they don’t have the technical capabilities for automated identification even if they might in future, and that’s the real debate, but not “they already can find out who you are” or “you’ve mindlessly given up your privacy, I’m sure of it”.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    It's a shame but a lot of people have the "nothing to hide, nothing to worry about" mentality.

Yes, the government does have all of our faces on file but they are very low resolution. Photos taken using your phone will have significantly more biological (depth) data available than what is currently on file.
    I thought the new Smart ID program took significantly better photos than the previous one. Am I wrong in assuming that they have some pretty good resolutions stored with the replacement exercise?
    spode likes this.

The real question is why they need the actual ID and not just the number
    For starters to verify that you actually have the ID card and not a photo copy - multiple angle scans coupled in with some deep learning (tin foilers beware!). Ditto with face scans.

Keeping in mind that this is essentially going to be something that looks like it will be a venue for future interactions with the govt.

What you know + what you have ++

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I thought the new Smart ID program took significantly better photos than the previous one. Am I wrong in assuming that they have some pretty good resolutions stored with the replacement exercise?
    I think you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    For starters to verify that you actually have the ID card and not a photo copy - multiple angle scans coupled in with some deep learning (tin foilers beware!). Ditto with face scans.

Keeping in mind that this is essentially going to be something that looks like it will be a venue for future interactions with the govt.

What you know + what you have ++
    Yep, once you get past the obvious privacy concerns, it does seem like three factor auth which is the holy grail of authentication.

What you have, what you know, what you are

Not at all. A lot of fintech apps use this to verify your ID card.
    And the reason they do this is to fulfil CDD requirements for anti-money laundering and countering the financing of terrorism...plus what is for private companies is “optional”, you don’t need to use that particular app or its services ...just saying

(Noted that the govt app likely will have alternatives)
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    And the reason they do this is for anti-money laundering and countering the financing of terrorism...just saying
    They use it so that you don't need to go in and show your ID card and they don't need to take photocopies / get you to sign etc etc..

The AML and rest of the anal probing usually starts only after they've resonably verified that your docs are valid / authentic.

For what it's worth, I will be walking into the local post office in a bit to complete my registration as the lighting at work seems to mess up the ID scans.