Like Tree265Likes

2021 Election Reforms in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    You are thinking about responsive governance in democracies. Here its the logic of authoritarian governance. When opposition occurs, the inclination is to crush it. Not to address their concerns.

That is why there will never be true long-term stability in HK. Control based on suppression is not stable over the long term.
    Have you seen Star Trek: The Next Generation? If you have, you would know what a Boarg is. Each personnel in the Boarg, do not function independantly. It is a top-down chain of command much like the CCP. Their main weakness is if someone has independent thought and enough personnel in the Boarg support it and overrun their leader then that is when it no longer functions. That is only way the CCP will go down. If the people in the CCP decide to take down itself. That's why they are afraid of any opposition because it is a threat of their survival.

Original Post Deleted
    In Singapore, even the guy trying to hold a one-person protest holding a smiley face was arrested. Told it was an an unauthorized act. People try to gain authorization, and it's never given.

I'm sure it's just that the government has worked so hard to make people happy and that's why there's stability though...

The reason Singapore is perceived "better" than HK right now is 1) it's actually getting a free pass for its authoritarianism and 2) a lot of that has to do with the presence vs. absence of China and the fact that Singapore's opposition has been so quiescent for such a long time that there are no headlines about their opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by gardabble:
    Have you seen Star Trek: The Next Generation? If you have, you would know what a Boarg is. Each personnel in the Boarg, do not function independantly. It is a top-down chain of command much like the CCP. Their main weakness is if someone has independent thought and enough personnel in the Boarg support it and overrun their leader then that is when it no longer functions. That is only way the CCP will go down. If the people in the CCP decide to take down itself. That's why they are afraid of any opposition because it is a threat of their survival.
    Actually it's spelled "Borg" not "Boarg".

Original Post Deleted
    The real difference is that Singapore cannot go totally against the wishes of its citizens. PAP is susceptible to some degree to voter pressure at the ballot box. There is a degree of responsiveness to concerns of the average citizen in Singapore which does not exist in HK.

In HK, the governing elite is accountability solely to Beijing.

As for Beijing not being able to distinguish Xinjiang and HK, not all authoritarian parties are the same, the CCP in China is not the PAP of Singapore. The CCP is governed by dictatorial ideology. It can be pragmatic in some cases, but in other areas, it is dictated solely by its communist beliefs. A leopard can't change its spots. Its very nature means it does not have the ability to comprehend any opposition voices and their demands. To the CCP they are only threats to be crushed.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 23-02-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That is why there will never be true long-term stability in HK. Control based on suppression is not stable over the long term.
    A lot of people say this but never really back the statement up

In the history books I read, suppression has generally seemed fairly stable most of the time

Original Post Deleted
    #0 tonnes more, let's take for example Turkey Saudi all of Eurasia the list continues indefinitely

#1 that period is a monkeys breath in history

#2 I give you that south america has improved, but lots of perfect democracies have regressed a lot in The period, so things are moving both ways

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    #0 tonnes more, let's take for example Turkey Saudi all of Eurasia the list continues indefinitely

#1 that period is a monkeys breath in history

#2 I give you that south america has improved, but lots of perfect democracies have regressed a lot in The period, so things are moving both ways
    I mean Eurasia in the Orwellian sense rather than the literal, obviously

Original Post Deleted
    You called me an idiot once but I'm coming to believe you are the one who lacks intelligence
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

In the history books I read, suppression has generally seemed fairly stable most of the time
    Read different books

https://www.uvm.edu/~cbeer/geddes/T1.pdf

The better question to ask is whether in the long run, liberal democratic governance is better than authoritarian oppression.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast