Last edited by Coolboy; 30-03-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Expecting announcements about the electoral reform (passed in China @ 2pm-ish) and/or social distancing and/or vaccine related news.
Given the line up I suspect this is an election related press conference.
https://youtu.be/Dfb8RvXV5rU1. Chief Executive, Mrs Carrie Lam
2. Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs,Mr. Erick Tsang Kwok-wai
3. Permanent Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs,Mr Roy Tang
Election related press conference. Will probably not cover this in too much detail...
- NPC Standing Committee voted to improve the electoral system in Hong Kong. Annex 1 and 2 have been published and publicity campaigns to explain the changes to the public will begin.
- NSL did not need local amendments. These changes need to change local laws.
- Three elections - Election Committee, LegCo and CE.
- Scrutiny and third reading to be completed by May.
- Voter registration in June - from scratch (?).
- December - Legco Election assuming everything proceeds smoothly. Current term to continue till mid December.
- January 2021 - CE Election assuming everything proceeds smoothly.
- Legco summer recess to be reduced. No trips to Paris for shopping!
Sorry, don't have the attention span to follow this press conference. This is all over the place in terms of sequencing and repetition...
Key points being made: "We have to work on this urgently" "Large amounts of ame10-ndments needed" "Better for economic situation of Hong Kong" "Omnibus bill" "Dozens of items to be considered for amendments"
Last edited by shri; 30-03-2021 at 04:18 PM.
It's OK... it's a sign of incredible weakness when you have to stop an election and reform your government system because you know you were going to lose power so badly. By making reforms, they are just highlighting more and more what their weakness is and their struggle for power that the public doesn't want.
So in a way, it is an "orderly" coup.