Like Tree263Likes

2021 Election Reforms in HK

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears:
    I love how it's still called an "election". The CCP does have a thing for dubious and ironic names. But let's call it for what it is, an elaborate appointment process. The only competition that exists is to see who can outdo each other to be more loyal to Beijing (see Broomhead's example).
    Last edited by Coolboy; 30-03-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears:
    And yet- still two seats per GC just in case...
    https://twitter.com/galileocheng/sta...717795332?s=21
    Coolboy likes this.

This Binomial system is advanced level stuff... I wish I had the mental capacity to understand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_voting

March 30th - CE Press Conference @ 4PM

Expecting announcements about the electoral reform (passed in China @ 2pm-ish) and/or social distancing and/or vaccine related news.

Given the line up I suspect this is an election related press conference.

1. Chief Executive, Mrs Carrie Lam
    2. Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs,Mr. Erick Tsang Kwok-wai
    3. Permanent Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs,Mr Roy Tang
    https://youtu.be/Dfb8RvXV5rU

Election related press conference. Will probably not cover this in too much detail...

Announcements

• NPC Standing Committee voted to improve the electoral system in Hong Kong. Annex 1 and 2 have been published and publicity campaigns to explain the changes to the public will begin.

• NSL did not need local amendments. These changes need to change local laws.

• Three elections - Election Committee, LegCo and CE.

• Scrutiny and third reading to be completed by May.

• Voter registration in June - from scratch (?).

• December - Legco Election assuming everything proceeds smoothly. Current term to continue till mid December.

• January 2021 - CE Election assuming everything proceeds smoothly.

• Legco summer recess to be reduced. No trips to Paris for shopping!

Sorry, don't have the attention span to follow this press conference. This is all over the place in terms of sequencing and repetition...

Key points being made: "We have to work on this urgently" "Large amounts of ame10-ndments needed" "Better for economic situation of Hong Kong" "Omnibus bill" "Dozens of items to be considered for amendments"
    Last edited by shri; 30-03-2021 at 04:18 PM.

It's OK... it's a sign of incredible weakness when you have to stop an election and reform your government system because you know you were going to lose power so badly. By making reforms, they are just highlighting more and more what their weakness is and their struggle for power that the public doesn't want.

kungpaochicken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    This Binomial system is advanced level stuff... I wish I had the mental capacity to understand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_voting
    The method is convoluted and complicated but the aim behind it is clear and simple enough in this case: keep out anyone the CCP doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It's OK... it's a sign of incredible weakness when you have to stop an election and reform your government system because you know you were going to lose power so badly. By making reforms, they are just highlighting more and more what their weakness is and their struggle for power that the public doesn't want.
    In a way, it resembles a coup. Certainly a bloodless one compared to what's happening in Myanmar and "legal" in the sense the CCP has the power to do this. But the logic and rationale behind these election changes are the same as a coup, depose or prevent someone from gaining power, in many cases to overturn people's will by removing or preventing democratically elected people from assuming office.

So in a way, it is an "orderly" coup.
    mucaari and kungpaochicken like this.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast