Like Tree265Likes

2021 Election Reforms in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The better question to ask is whether in the long run, liberal democratic governance is better than authoritarian oppression.
    Better for who?
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Ladies expand your viewpoint a little bit please. Your factoid above refers to a few warlords in 20th century Africa, let's think longer term for a moment.

Tell me about democracy starting with Greece and Rome, for example. Taking history in a fuller sweep. How did that end up @East_coast?

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Better for who?
    For the majority.

Original Post Deleted
    Look at the mass murdering leaders in history and what do they have in common? They all led totalitarian/authoritarian regimes. People like Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot, murdered countless people. No democratic leader in any multi-party democracy has that record.

Interesting debate, but tough to make the distinction when some of them come to power via a proper democratic process and subsequently use majorities to “democratically” unwind the checks and balances. Hungary and Poland are current low grade examples that come to mind.

GentleGeorge likes this.

Look at the mass murdering leaders in history and what do they have in common? They all led totalitarian/authoritarian regimes. People like Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot, murdered countless people. No democratic leader in any multi-party democracy has that record.
    No-one is denying that many of them do horrible things and would not be very nice places to live.

What is at issue is the longevity question.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    No-one is denying that many of them do horrible things and would not be very nice places to live.

What is at issue is the longevity question.
    Longevity is a misleading criteria if it does not bring true prosperity and stability.

Longevity is a misleading criteria if it does not bring true prosperity and stability.
    That's fine and I'm not saying I disagree with it, but your original point was a different one and referred explicitly to longevity.

What you said yesterday was:

That is why there will never be true long-term stability in HK. Control based on suppression is not stable over the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    That's fine and I'm not saying I disagree with it, but your original point was a different one and referred explicitly to longevity.

What you said yesterday was:
    I think you are not getting my point. Long term stability with suppression is illusionary. So crushing dissent ling term is not a true viable form of governance.

I think you are not getting my point. Long term stability with suppression is illusionary. So crushing dissent ling term is not a true viable form of governance.
    At the risk of going around in circles here, that is exactly the point I am challenging and which you haven't backed up with evidence

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast