Like Tree79Likes

ESF: Unpaid leave / Disciplinary Actions For Teachers Refusing Tests

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

So now that vaccinated teachers will not have to do testing ( Vaccinated = 2x jabs + 14 days ), and there is 2/3rd resumption, does this discussion change?

From what I understood of this discussion is that teachers who do not want to be tested, think its too dangerous for them to be exposed

• So are these teachers locking themselves in their homes for now (or having minimal outings?)
    • When do they propose schools resume? I think we can all agree the young kids are missing development years that are impossible to replace
    • Not everyone in HK works from home. A lot of people are going to work full time. Including parents who have to, to pay the 100% fees teachers are getting. What happens if those parents think the same and schools start having to scale down
    • Recent government announcement allows kids under 18 to be accompanied by adults for quarantine. That should ease some fears
    • Out of curiosity, isn't sewage testing applicable to a place where you live and are bound to use the facilities. Will sewage testing ensure the same level of coverage in a school?
    Last edited by krypton; 29-03-2021 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krypton:
    So now that vaccinated teachers will not have to do testing ( Vaccinated = 2x jabs + 14 days ), and there is 2/3rd resumption, does this discussion change?

From what I understood of this discussion is that teachers who do not want to be tested, think its too dangerous for them to be exposed
    • So are these teachers locking themselves in their homes for now (or having minimal outings?)
    • When do they propose schools resume? I think we can all agree the young kids are missing development years that are impossible to replace
    • Not everyone in HK works from home. A lot of people are going to work full time. Including parents who have to, to pay the 100% fees teachers are getting. What happens if those parents think the same and schools start having to scale down
    • Recent government announcement allows kids under 18 to be accompanied by adults for quarantine. That should ease some fears
    • Out of curiosity, isn't sewage testing applicable to a place where you live and are bound to use the facilities. Will sewage testing ensure the same level of coverage in a school?
    I’ve heard even some of the big name international schools are making cost cuts - not replacing certain staff etc. A lot of IS teachers trained in a state school system in their home countries and struggle with the realities of the private system. Parents DO pay their salaries, whether they like it or not. And so the demands of those parents matter directly to the school’s ability to stay open.

Oh - and of course the teachers aren’t locking themselves in. Which is why I never bought the exaggerated fear in the first place. I saw a group of ESF teachers at a bar having drinks together a few weeks ago while that petition was going around saying they were risking their liberty and access to their kids if they had to test.
    shri, FrancisX, ThatOneGuy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I’ve heard even some of the big name international schools are making cost cuts - not replacing certain staff etc. A lot of IS teachers trained in a state school system in their home countries and struggle with the realities of the private system. Parents DO pay their salaries, whether they like it or not. And so the demands of those parents matter directly to the school’s ability to stay open.

Oh - and of course the teachers aren’t locking themselves in. Which is why I never bought the exaggerated fear in the first place. I saw a group of ESF teachers at a bar having drinks together a few weeks ago while that petition was going around saying they were risking their liberty and access to their kids if they had to test.
    And you approached the group and they all confirmed that they signed the petition. Right?
    Mcdavid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    And you approached the group and they all confirmed that they signed the petition. Right?
    Perhaps a lazy assumption on my part as A) they’re all parents as well as teachers B) 2 in the group had previously told me about their worries related to quarantine and testing. I was grabbing a takeaway at the time so didn’t linger to inquire further.

For what I’ve given up in my social life to reduce contacts so my kids can go to school with a minimal chance of being vectors, while also working full time and handing them a chunk of my earning each month - I think teachers must meet us halfway.

Anyway hope they all get their shots now so they don’t have to test and can back to focusing on education our children.
    Mrs. Jones and hongkong7 like this.

Perhaps a lazy assumption on my part as A) they’re all parents as well as teachers B) 2 in the group had previously told me about their worries related to quarantine and testing. I was grabbing a takeaway at the time so didn’t linger to inquire further.

For what I’ve given up in my social life to reduce contacts so my kids can go to school with a minimal chance of being vectors, while also working full time and handing them a chunk of my earning each month - I think teachers must meet us halfway.

Anyway hope they all get their shots now so they don’t have to test and can back to focusing on education our children.
    Drip feeding now.

Did I tell you that I saw a group of parents who'd signed the letter all refusing to be tested to get back to their own work at X-location where they care for X-people? The number of parents in the group was the number of teachers you saw + 1.
    kittykaitak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Drip feeding now.

Did I tell you that I saw a group of parents who'd signed the letter all refusing to be tested to get back to their own work at X-location where they care for X-people? The number of parents in the group was the number of teachers you saw + 1.
    Wouldn’t it be better for teachers if their students parents refused to test? So they have less chance being picked up as a close contact? Don’t get your story sorry.

But the waiver only kicks in 14 days after the second shot. Does that means schools don't open until then? I have also heard the some teachers would not like to be tested and would refuse vaccination as well (not sure why but then rights and all that)
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9