Like Tree711Likes

May 2021: Covid Variant Cases in HK

Closed Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    From Government website only 588145 persons have been fully vaccinated so well lower than the 15.3%. For the first dose, it 1.005.425 persons so also less then the 15.3%
    Kinda misleading though isn't it? 1 dose of the Pfizer vaccine has a higher efficacy than both doses of the Sinovac, but only the latter counts as fully vaccinated
    statman, blandy62 and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    Not directing this at you personally, but the whole notion of trying to parse who did what when, when and what did they know, etc, in the hopes of assigning who's to blame, who's more to blame than others, etc, seems a pointless exercise. Contact tracing matters, but beyond that, unless there's been some crime (leaving quarantine, etc) assigning blame for individual outbreaks doesn't seem particularly helpful.

Anyway, for me it's simple who's to blame, it's everyone who is eligible to be vaccinated and is choosing not to, or dragging their heels. And right now, with our fully vaccinated rate at 15.3%, that's the vast majority of Hong Kong residents that are to blame for the weak footing we find ourselves in, which is feeding bad policy.

We can't change the government and have limited options to sway it from its draconian policies. But the one thing we can control is getting ourselves vaccinated, for our own good as well as the broader good.

Anecdotally, the latest handwringing over helpers spreading covid is interesting. I often talk to the helpers in my building, as they're generally the friendliest neighbours. And when I've asked a number of them in the past about whether they planned to get vaccinated, some told me their employers didn't want them to.

That gobsmacks me on so many levels. But just practically, if I'm doing everything I can in my power to limit my risk of covid. The one thing that would worry me the most is if I had a helper (I don't) coming and going, not knowing where they were going, who they were seeing, etc. So why wouldn't you want to encourage your helper to get vaccinated? Though why their employers should have any say in it is also beyond me.
    I agree but would go one step further.

I think the desire to blame people because someone succumbs to a virus is indicative of how dysfunctional humans are on this planet.

People feel like they should be ‘immune’ to the effects of other life and fly into fits of indignation when they realise that they’re not that special after all.

Bears and wolves and other traditional risks are destroyed as soon as they come close to posing a threat, luckily for them virus’s can’t be targeted the same way.

So sure, there are actions people can take to reduce the effect of viruses on humans, but when they fail to be 100%, people should quit being so neurotic and put their life in perspective and then take some time to consider how much other life on this planet has had to sacrifice absolutely everything just so you can exist.

As for ‘we can’t change the government’ well, as far as human responsibility goes, that’s the number one factor in virus Managment.

If the govt WAS changed I think we’d all find vaccination rates would be very different.

At least some good news

Thousands of residents to be released from quarantine
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0