Like Tree64Likes

Tracking HK progress towards reopening

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile Tracking HK progress towards reopening

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3151495/coronavirus-hong-kong-airport-worker-tests
    Leung said authorities should not drop their guard and keep testing airport workers twice a week, “especially if they are vaccinated”, as being inoculated would reduce symptoms and make infections harder to detect without regular screening.
    https://twitter.com/bencowling88/sta...77208561336322
    drumbrake, dossier and William06 like this.

If I had known a year ago that we are not going to relax COVID measures, I would have had a different opinion on vaccination
    Bullshit. Vaccinations and relaxations are two different things in my opinion.

My bets are relaxations somewhere after that meeting in October 2022..
    rs4 likes this.

I have been saying 2023 for normal travel since Mar 2020. It used to get a laugh it now gets 'I hope so'

Corrib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That's not exactly true in general. If we were talking about a vaccine with a larger number of adverse reactions (Dengue, maybe rabies) and an illness with a more conventional sequence of incubation->symptoms->shedding, then he would have a point. But with covid, 'aiming to have a minimal number of infections' without a vaccine is Russian roulette. Heck, with Delta, put one infected person on the Bund right now and even China won't be able to return to zero.

Original Post Deleted
    And that might also apply to ppl who have been vaccinated with non Chinese drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

My bets are relaxations somewhere after that meeting in October 2022..
    I think (from reading the rest of the tweet) that he means, vaccinations are no benefit when the zero COVID strategy is being used. All of us who rushed out to get a vaccine thinking it was the key to freedom now have waning immunity. We need a booster to keep us safe when things open up / we travel.

On balance, we in HK have a higher risk of complications from the vaccine than contracting Covid- the balance is wrong under the current restrictions.

Ben Cowling said the vaccines should have been targeted to those most at risk of infection under the current restrictions. Essentially, vaccination was unnecessary for now- we should have opened up!

I see what he's saying if he believes zero covid is infallible (clearly it isn't), and in respect of those who accept being hermetically sealed into HK/China for the next x years. That's essentially the conclusion the 50% of unvaxxed Hkers drew for themselves.

There isn't enough pressure to counter this while Japan and other favourite Asian holiday destinations for locals remain closed. The grumbling will get much louder when they are open up, especially if mainland remains restricted.

He'd be better dropping the faux-naivety act, and getting off social media and keeping his trap shut. Tarnishing his reputation.

HK has had practically no local cases in 50 days, such an impressive feat, yet still Shenzhen city or Guangdong province is not opening up quarantine-free travel for those travelling from HK, that means it will never be enough for them, the message is clear.

nickvv likes this.

21 days at best for every Covid case. QT for all air crew.

The sensible answer would just be to say sorry our measures are draconian enough and we are moving (by millimetres) in the other direction.

bigtooth81 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast