Like Tree31Likes

Quarantine Hotel List - Dec 2021 - Feb 2022

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you have a particular hotel in mind, call them, make a reservation now (as long as it's refundable). Many of the hotels repeat, list to list. If refundable, make redundant reservations, possibly for slightly different dates in case of the very real possibility that your flight is changed (mine was changed returning to TW, stories are all over the quarantine group of canceled/rescheduled flights). I think my coworker had 3 redundant bookings for his return to HK. Keep trying until you find an acceptable (to you) hotel will to take your reservation, then check when the list comes out if you're still in business.

And, yes, it's totally nuts and if you do ever decide to go on Facebook there are some heartbreaking stories of things that have happened to people, arbitrary denial of boarding because a comma was missing on a document somewhere, it's nuts.

Morrison and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Bloody ridiculous that the government imposed quarantine does not have a proper central portal to allow for bookings. It would save everyone (hotels, travellers) a lot of time and agony if this was coordinated properly.
    Look at New Zealand, they have a central portal and people complain about it even more. With a central portal, if your internet is slow you'll have no chance of getting a spot at all. The fundamental issue is supply and demand, if you're trying to fly in during a period of high demand like Christmas, it's always going to be hard, no matter how you book your spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Bloody ridiculous that the government imposed quarantine does not have a proper central portal to allow for bookings. It would save everyone (hotels, travellers) a lot of time and agony if this was coordinated properly.

I have to travel to HK in the summer (unfortunately have some business that can’t be handled remotely) but all I see are big unknowns :

1. Hotel list not published yet
    2. quarantine changing every time… I need to make a transfer from where I live and today if I fly through Germany quarantine is 14 days, if I fly Spain or NL it is 21 days … lord knows what it will be like in the summer
    3. The notion that Facebook groups are the way to go is ridiculous, I don’t have facebook, never will get facebook and so condemned to scramble once hotels are published to find a decent place.

Luckily 95% of hotels on the current list are utter rubbish so the actual viable options are limited to two or maybe three hotels.
    Which do you think are recommended? I'm going to be looking shortly, and decent options seem to be:

- Kerry
    - Four points (notwithstanding latest issue)
    - Courtyard by Marriott?
    - 181 Hotel
    - Landmark Mandarin ($$$)
    - Nina
    - Ovolo Southside
    - Hotel Indigo?
    - Lanson Place ($$$)
    - Mira Moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    Which do you think are recommended? I'm going to be looking shortly, and decent options seem to be:

- Kerry
    - Courtyard by Marriott?
    - 181 Hotel
    - Nina
    - Ovolo Southside
    - Hotel Indigo?
    - Lanson Place ($$$)
    - Mira Moon?
    To be honest, the only three I saw that I am familiair with (as I stayed there before) are Crown Plaza, Ovolo and Landmark Mandarin Oriental. Only stayed once at Ovolo and in my recollection the rooms were tiny. I typically stayed in other hotels (Intercontinental, Sheraton and W hotel) but they are unfortunately not part of the prisons you can choose so I will most likely try to get the Crown Plaza if they are still included in the list for July/August

You might need to filter the list with a budget in mind. The FB group has all the reviews you'll ever need so you can find one which suits.

- Kerry
    - Courtyard by Marriott?
    - 181 Hotel
    - Nina
    - Ovolo Southside
    - Hotel Indigo?
    - Lanson Place ($$$)
    - Mira Moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    You might need to filter the list with a budget in mind. The FB group has all the reviews you'll ever need so you can find one which suits.
    I'm a member of the group and have been following avidly for 18 months. I wanted to ask this smaller, (more discerning?) community. The above (excluding Mandarin and Crowne Plaza) are my shortlist (ideally don't want to spend more than 3k / night.

I'm a member of the group and have been following avidly for 18 months. I wanted to ask this smaller, (more discerning?) community. The above (excluding Mandarin and Crowne Plaza) are my shortlist (ideally don't want to spend more than 3k / night.
    for 3K max a night, I would recommend you to look at Kerry Hotel in Hung Hom, the view is great, the food is great, the rooms are good size (based of all the reviews, photos I've seen on FB group)
    shri and Edwardstorm like this.

they jacked up the seaview room price @ kerry in this last round update, figuring that all the rich kids coming back home will want to see the symphony of light every night and enjoy their champagne

chuckster007 likes this.

As usual.. in a mess now.. all the 14 days --> 21 days extension of Q period.. those especially flying these two weeks are trying hard to rearrange.. some will have to cancel i am sure.. i think the hotels will lose out due to these changes as well as they are bound to have 20/30% of rooms not fillable..

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    As usual.. in a mess now.. all the 14 days --> 21 days extension of Q period.. those especially flying these two weeks are trying hard to rearrange.. some will have to cancel i am sure.. i think the hotels will lose out due to these changes as well as they are bound to have 20/30% of rooms not fillable..
    Yes there is a mix of people in the Facebook group either managing to get extensions or giving up their rooms and giving up their travel plans. Some of the stories are so sad. This Government is evil. Their policies are SO fucking stupid it beggars belief. No reason for a greater than 14 days quarantine in the first place so no reason to change a low risk, low covid country just because they found ONE case (or in the case of some African countries which don't test, don;t find the hundreds that are probably there). HK just moves pieces around on a chessboard with no regard to the fact that human lives are affected. Bastards.
    AsianXpat0, mucaari, Sage and 2 others like this.