Like Tree11Likes

Local SIM before quarantine

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Local SIM before quarantine

Given the arrivals to quarantine procedure at HKIA, is there any way of being able to buy a local prepaid SIM card - eg in Arrivals Hall - before being bundled away for 14 days? Need to be able to receive SMS on local number apart from usual calling and data.

(My past experience was to pay and order from Klook.com and pick up the SIM from counter A13 minutes from the gates in Arrivals Hall after showing voucher. Used to be quick (last done Jan 2020) but those were pre-pandemic days).

Last edited by HKFella; 21-10-2021 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add small detail

Not sure about the gates, but perhaps you can order SoSim from ParknShop for 33 hkd and deliver to your Q hotel.

HKFella likes this.

Unless something has changed, the Arrivals Hall is quite isolated and doubt any facilities have been opened.

Your best bets are to either get an eSim if your phone supports that, or buy a HK or international roaming Sim where ever you are and then HktvMall and have it delivered to your hotel.

PM me if yiu need help.. Depending on where u are quarantined (island or south island line) I might be able to drop a sosim off at your hotel for you in exchange for a beer or two..

HKFella likes this.

Some of the hotels do have the Sims at reception. You can also buy from Watsons thru Pandmart and they will deliver.

https://www.foodpanda.hk

HKFella likes this.

Effective from 11 May to 31 December 2021, you may purchase a Local Monthly Plan Prepaid SIM at a limited special price of $60 and enjoy a buy-one-get-one-free offer at Wellcome Supermarket.
    $60 for 2 sim card = 80GB + 80GB

https://eshop.hk.chinamobile.com/en/...repaidsim.html
    HKFella and Drunken Master like this.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Thanks for the wealth of useful information. Helps plan the travel knowing there seem to be a few other options for prepaid SIMs than the probably non-functional one at the airport. I'll ask the hotel when booking whether they have SIM purchase at the counter (thanks for the tip, Rani) and also whether they will deliver to the room (if they allow outside food orders surely they should be able to do the same with a SIM brought to their doorstep). eSim option can be explored at least on my kids' iphone and sammy S20 or 21. LG doesn't yet support it. Shri, thanks very much for the offer. Still early days, so I may well use the rain cheque depending on hotel etc. Even otherwise it'll be good to catch up for a couple of beers - it's been helluva long time. Miss those early day Happy Hours

I got my SIM through a deliveroo or foodpanda from 7-11

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKFella:
    Given the arrivals to quarantine procedure at HKIA, is there any way of being able to buy a local prepaid SIM card - eg in Arrivals Hall - before being bundled away for 14 days? Need to be able to receive SMS on local number apart from usual calling and data.

(My past experience was to pay and order from Klook.com and pick up the SIM from counter A13 minutes from the gates in Arrivals Hall after showing voucher. Used to be quick (last done Jan 2020) but those were pre-pandemic days).
    No. There is absolutely nothing you can buy before you get to your quarantine hotel. You are always in a "process" and nothing is open. Get someone to post it to you before you fly as you will need to show a working phone as part of the process.

If you need to work during quarantine, check out which hotel have good wifi. Some do not. If you are in a bad one, get BOTH a CM SIM AND a SOSIM (these are two of the best options) so that you have some ability to see which works best. For example CM worked well in Best Western Plus while SoSIM was useless.

How about departures? Are most things still ridiculously closed including duty free???

Duty Free is open... But most people are just too excited to be leaving to bother

Edwardstorm and JAherbert like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast