Like Tree122Likes

The Great Cathay Quarantine of 2021...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If it is down to CC providers, there has to be some commonality either some ccs have provided transaction data or all?

The only public info available is that a large track and trace team was setup and manned by folks from various agencies...

I am still trying to work out what wound be the most efficient way to get to transaction data - given that there are three card providers (Visa/MC/Amex) and hundreds of banks and multiple countries and privacy laws.

I am assuming it is not Hollywood level stuff like computer enhance. Zoom in.. Don't think Jack Bauer got a quarantine exemption to come in and work in this data.
    I imagine there is a defined procedure for competent authorities to request data from banks, telco's, credit card providers etc. Police would have these powers if they suspect laws around quarentine are being broken.

Most likely the request was put in to HSBC or whoever supies the credit cards, not the back end provider like Visa or MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I wonder if there will be shortages of supplies
    Maybe good to stock up on perishables that come via Germany.
    I will be when I fly there mid Dec. Hopefully food, booze and everything else good but not covid. Vaxxed but there is this mutant strain now...another new one.

I need to read up more about the pilots situ before I can comment. Here in Sweden, despite the high and rising covid rate, all restrictions are lifted....

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I imagine there is a defined procedure for competent authorities to request data from banks, telco's, credit card providers etc. Police would have these powers if they suspect laws around quarentine are being broken.

Most likely the request was put in to HSBC or whoever supies the credit cards, not the back end provider like Visa or MC.
    The banks cannot and will not just share the data to employers like that. A request would need to come in from law enforcement, with a very strong reason (e.g suspected money laundering or sex trafficking) why the data needs to be shared before banks provide any customer data. I highly doubt this case would fall under that criteria......
    Sage likes this.

He 'imagines' an awful lot, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Can't beat a good conspiracy theory though eh Brit?

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    The banks cannot and will not just share the data to employers like that. A request would need to come in from law enforcement, with a very strong reason (e.g suspected money laundering or sex trafficking) why the data needs to be shared before banks provide any customer data. I highly doubt this case would fall under that criteria......
    I don't know if you read what I wrote but I said the police would have to request it, not the employer. I'll leave other readers to judge how over-seriously HK takes quarentine and how the police over-use their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by statman:

OK let's deal with some facts rather than your opinions

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29V0FY

Banks in Hong Kong have little choice but to comply with police requests, the senior bank executive told Reuters: "The aggrieved party can go to the court if they think their accounts were frozen or their transaction details were shared for wrong reasons, but there's very little we can do here."
    So we know police have powers to demand information from banks, we know this doesn't have to be anything serious like trafficking, we know the police have already been using these powers and we know the banks have no choice but to comply.

So, exactly as I said in the first post
    qhank likes this.

OK let's deal with some facts rather than your opinions

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29V0FY

So we know police have powers to demand information from banks, we know this doesn't have to be anything serious like trafficking, we know the police have already been using these powers and we know the banks have no choice but to comply.

So, exactly as I said in the first post
    Actually, what I wrote is fact and not an opinion. The article you linked doesn't change that. I said that banks only share the data when it's demanded by law enforcement and I highly doubt a potential quarantine breach in a foreign country would be something that law enforcement in HK would be able to get a warrant or subpoena for a bank to provide them with all the transactions they've performed. However, saying that, I'm not a lawyer so don't know the intricacies of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    A three minute opinion talk that does not give any new insights and just concludes with "don't break the rules" - this is whats left of SCMP.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    A three minute opinion talk that does not give any new insights and just concludes with "don't break the rules" - this is whats left of SCMP.
    I think if given a freer hand, SCMP journalist and editors could do much better. But they are not allowed to say what they really want, so the end result is inane and stating the obvious.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast