Like Tree87Likes

Selfish Masks, HEPA Filters and ...

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    Well he's proud of his fabrication because it clearly didn't happen, or didn't happen like that (especially the ending).
    It's true, I get a fair degree of satisfaction out of not wearing a mask, and yet more satisfaction out of scenario's where the locals take my side as they did this morning.

But you'd have to be pretty stupid not to see the vested interest in their stance - getting the tram moving as soon as possible (especially as I referenced it in the post) and the easiest way to achieve that, telling the driver to do their job.

But at the same time, they were clearly smart young professionals, eloquent with good English, wearing masks because the law says so and happy to shut up an old tosser shouting about nothing.

But what gives me even more satisfaction than that, is the roiling, seething resentment amongst the usual suspects here that I consistently get away with going maskless.

And better still that some locals secretly and even openly approve.

p.s. you don't need to wear your underpants on the outside, or even at all, all it takes is not to be such a doormat.

;-)

Just some thoughts:

- Agree or disagree with the mask rule, it is what it is, most people would wear it to avoid a fine and avoid troubling the tram driver / wait staff / receptionists who are paid way too little to deal with this type of crap. Refusing to wear a mask isn't some sort of noble Gandhi-like civil disobedience act.

- This perpetuates the "gweilo not following the rules and would rather turn into angry expat man than to put a simple face mask over their face".

- You won't be so lucky one day when you come across an unpleasant copper out to fine someone for not wearing a mask.

What genuinely puzzles me sage is that you are so determined, pro active, full of bravado on not wearing a mask yet you despise the Chinese and Chinese culture, you have no career ties, no kids and yet you can't seem to get the motivation to leave Hong Kong like so.many others have. It puzzles me.

TheBrit likes this.

Also on "selfish valve masks": wait till Prof. Yuen sees the T8 "masks" that people are wearing! It's so thin and porous you can basically see through it.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Just some thoughts:

- Agree or disagree with the mask rule, it is what it is, most people would wear it to avoid a fine and avoid troubling the tram driver / wait staff / receptionists who are paid way too little to deal with this type of crap. Refusing to wear a mask isn't some sort of noble Gandhi-like civil disobedience act.

- This perpetuates the "gweilo not following the rules and would rather turn into angry expat man than to put a simple face mask over their face".

- You won't be so lucky one day when you come across an unpleasant copper out to fine someone for not wearing a mask.
    Some clarity on your thoughts:

1) The tram/bus drivers generally don't care, there are exceptions but they are not nearly as common as you probably believe. As for wait staff, they definitely don't care, at all.

The people that trouble the drivers are the ones who shout and throw childish fits because someone minding their own business refuses to conform to their bullshit ideas, these individuals are almost exclusively unvaxxed.

2) Anyone who can't differentiate a stereotype from reality 'all gweilo's are rule breakers' also falls into the 'not the sharpest tool in the box' category and therefore their thoughts have little value generally, but especially not to me .

3) I find people tend to make their own luck and by constantly pushing at the edges I've gotten extremely competent at recognising the risks. But lo, nothing is guaranteed, so I'll cross that bridge when the day comes.

In the mean time, make hay whilst the sun shines. You can keep wearing your mask if it floats your boat.
    Last edited by Sage; 24-11-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What genuinely puzzles me sage is that you are so determined, pro active, full of bravado on not wearing a mask yet you despise the Chinese and Chinese culture, you have no career ties, no kids and yet you can't seem to get the motivation to leave Hong Kong like so.many others have. It puzzles me.

I don't hate the Chinese.
    I do have a strong dislike for certain aspects of Chinese culture.
    I don't have yellow fever.
    I do have ethnically Chinese members in my family.
    I have a long family history and current relatives in HK.
    My wife has been learning Mandarin.
    I own a couple of properties here.
    Life is seldom black or white.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Some clarity on your thoughts:

1) The tram/bus drivers generally don't care, there are exceptions but they are not nearly as common as you probably believe. As for wait staff, they definitely don't care, at all.

The people that trouble the drivers are the ones who shout and throw childish fits because someone minding their own business refuses to conform to their bullshit ideas, these individuals are almost exclusively unvaxxed.
    I think that sometimes it is necessary to accept the stances of some people in the world that we cannot understand. For example, those who are unvaxxed. They are not unique to Hong Kong. Looking at the data of Germany, Austria and the US, their cases and deaths are much more serious than Hong Kong, but their vaccination rate is still similar to HK, so even if you flee Hong Kong, you have to face these unvaxxed, they are almost nowhere. Not just here. Instead of wasting time with these people, there are only 24 hours a day, I would rather spend time doing something more precious and worthwhile.
    hongkong7 and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by binance345:
    I take off my mask outdoors as well, and I don't really care about people who still wear masks outdoors because it's their choice and it doesn't affect others. In fact, the law has relevant requirements, I do not blame them.

I understand that some people think that the over-reliance on masks and the failure to further increase the rate of vaccination is the reason for the delay in opening the border. But think in this way, even if the vaccination rate in Hong Kong is raised to 100% and everyone gives up using masks, will the hk government open up the border? Absolutely not. The point is the Chinese central government's stance, and that is a decision that no one can change, no matter what we do.
    Perhaps you should consider the situation from an alternative angle?

Who made and continues to make the mask mandate? - Carrie Lam's govt.
    Who enforces the mask mandate? - The police
    Who gets upset when the mandate is flouted?    - The unvaccinated (And some on Geo ;-)
    Who is put in danger when the mandate is flouted? - No one.

Which of the above groups are you seeking to protect?

Quote Originally Posted by binance345:
    I think that sometimes it is necessary to accept the stances of some people in the world that we cannot understand. For example, those who are unvaxxed. They are not unique to Hong Kong. Looking at the data of Germany, Austria and the US, their cases and deaths are much more serious than Hong Kong, but their vaccination rate is still similar to HK, so even if you flee Hong Kong, you have to face these unvaxxed, they are almost nowhere. Not just here. Instead of wasting time with these people, there are only 24 hours a day, I would rather spend time doing something more precious and worthwhile.
    I Agree completely.

I never demand anyone remove their mask. I never demand anyone get vaccinated.

I have a red line I won't cross: I won't wear a mask to satisfy an idiot or a hypocrite.

A taxi driver stepping out of his car, not wearing a mask, and suddenly surrounded by some kind of government official. Or am I misunderstanding this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpMaQuYo8bI

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast