Like Tree87Likes

Selfish Masks, HEPA Filters and ...

Reply
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,473
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    You must be so proud.
    Of course that utter bullshit didn't happen. That twat Sage is beyond parody now.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,105
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Of course that utter bullshit didn't happen. That twat Sage is beyond parody now.
    In the real world all the passengers would have had their phones out and the videos of the crazy foreigner would be all over social media.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,473
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    In the real world all the passengers would have had their phones out and the videos of the crazy foreigner would be all over social media.
    Quite. He'd be more of a Tram Twat than a Bus Uncle.
    Mcdavid, hongkong7 and kittykaitak like this.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    Well he's proud of his fabrication because it clearly didn't happen, or didn't happen like that (especially the ending).
    It's true, I get a fair degree of satisfaction out of not wearing a mask, and yet more satisfaction out of scenario's where the locals take my side as they did this morning.

    But you'd have to be pretty stupid not to see the vested interest in their stance - getting the tram moving as soon as possible (especially as I referenced it in the post) and the easiest way to achieve that, telling the driver to do their job.

    But at the same time, they were clearly smart young professionals, eloquent with good English, wearing masks because the law says so and happy to shut up an old tosser shouting about nothing.

    But what gives me even more satisfaction than that, is the roiling, seething resentment amongst the usual suspects here that I consistently get away with going maskless.

    And better still that some locals secretly and even openly approve.

    p.s. you don't need to wear your underpants on the outside, or even at all, all it takes is not to be such a doormat.

    ;-)

  5. #55

    Just some thoughts:

    - Agree or disagree with the mask rule, it is what it is, most people would wear it to avoid a fine and avoid troubling the tram driver / wait staff / receptionists who are paid way too little to deal with this type of crap. Refusing to wear a mask isn't some sort of noble Gandhi-like civil disobedience act.

    - This perpetuates the "gweilo not following the rules and would rather turn into angry expat man than to put a simple face mask over their face".

    - You won't be so lucky one day when you come across an unpleasant copper out to fine someone for not wearing a mask.


  6. #56

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,105

    What genuinely puzzles me sage is that you are so determined, pro active, full of bravado on not wearing a mask yet you despise the Chinese and Chinese culture, you have no career ties, no kids and yet you can't seem to get the motivation to leave Hong Kong like so.many others have. It puzzles me.

    TheBrit likes this.

  7. #57

    Also on "selfish valve masks": wait till Prof. Yuen sees the T8 "masks" that people are wearing! It's so thin and porous you can basically see through it.


  8. #58

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Just some thoughts:

    - Agree or disagree with the mask rule, it is what it is, most people would wear it to avoid a fine and avoid troubling the tram driver / wait staff / receptionists who are paid way too little to deal with this type of crap. Refusing to wear a mask isn't some sort of noble Gandhi-like civil disobedience act.

    - This perpetuates the "gweilo not following the rules and would rather turn into angry expat man than to put a simple face mask over their face".

    - You won't be so lucky one day when you come across an unpleasant copper out to fine someone for not wearing a mask.
    Some clarity on your thoughts:

    1) The tram/bus drivers generally don't care, there are exceptions but they are not nearly as common as you probably believe. As for wait staff, they definitely don't care, at all.

    The people that trouble the drivers are the ones who shout and throw childish fits because someone minding their own business refuses to conform to their bullshit ideas, these individuals are almost exclusively unvaxxed.

    2) Anyone who can't differentiate a stereotype from reality 'all gweilo's are rule breakers' also falls into the 'not the sharpest tool in the box' category and therefore their thoughts have little value generally, but especially not to me .

    3) I find people tend to make their own luck and by constantly pushing at the edges I've gotten extremely competent at recognising the risks. But lo, nothing is guaranteed, so I'll cross that bridge when the day comes.

    In the mean time, make hay whilst the sun shines. You can keep wearing your mask if it floats your boat.
    Last edited by Sage; 24-11-2021 at 10:31 PM.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What genuinely puzzles me sage is that you are so determined, pro active, full of bravado on not wearing a mask yet you despise the Chinese and Chinese culture, you have no career ties, no kids and yet you can't seem to get the motivation to leave Hong Kong like so.many others have. It puzzles me.

    I don't hate the Chinese.
    I do have a strong dislike for certain aspects of Chinese culture.
    I don't have yellow fever.
    I do have ethnically Chinese members in my family.
    I have a long family history and current relatives in HK.
    My wife has been learning Mandarin.
    I own a couple of properties here.
    Life is seldom black or white.

    Does that help?

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Some clarity on your thoughts:

    1) The tram/bus drivers generally don't care, there are exceptions but they are not nearly as common as you probably believe. As for wait staff, they definitely don't care, at all.

    The people that trouble the drivers are the ones who shout and throw childish fits because someone minding their own business refuses to conform to their bullshit ideas, these individuals are almost exclusively unvaxxed.
    I think that sometimes it is necessary to accept the stances of some people in the world that we cannot understand. For example, those who are unvaxxed. They are not unique to Hong Kong. Looking at the data of Germany, Austria and the US, their cases and deaths are much more serious than Hong Kong, but their vaccination rate is still similar to HK, so even if you flee Hong Kong, you have to face these unvaxxed, they are almost nowhere. Not just here. Instead of wasting time with these people, there are only 24 hours a day, I would rather spend time doing something more precious and worthwhile.
    hongkong7 and qhank like this.

Reply
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast