Like Tree186Likes

Nov 2021 - New 'Omicron' Mutants are Coming..

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    WHO Statement: "Two letters were skipped, Nu and Xi, because Nu is too easily confounded with ‘new’ and XI was not used because it is a common surname and WHO best practices for naming new diseases (developed in conjunction with FAO and OIE back in 2015) suggest avoiding ‘causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups’”
    Mu is a way more common surname than Xi
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Last edited by Tom007; 29-11-2021 at 02:30 PM.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...tourists-entry

Seems like most countries are going back to the travel restrictions again. Never ending cycle it seems. I assume every year there will be 1 or 2 new variants.

New variant -> tighten or restrict travels -> vaccination/lowered infection rate -> 'discuss" possibility of relationations -> New variant ->tighten or restrict travels ->.....

GG

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Do you think the covid will be more problematic if more HIV patients catch it? Just more problematic for the individual or potentially new mutations? I think I am reading your message incorrectly, but it sounds like HIV and Covid could create a new super HIV virus that spreads in the air! Now that is something terrifying.
    You could substitute HIV patient for partially vaccinated or vaccinated with vaccine that has a poor ability to allow a very high percentage of people to recover quickly. It's the reduced ability to kill off the virus or to suppress it to stop it mutating.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You could substitute HIV patient for partially vaccinated or vaccinated with vaccine that has a poor ability to allow a very high percentage of people to recover quickly. It's the reduced ability to kill off the virus or to suppress it to stop it mutating.
    I understand the issues with Covid and immunocompromised people. My point was, how does the variant make a difference. The initial strain has the same inherent issue for HIV positive people. Unless the new strain is more deadly, I see essentially no difference in the macro view.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    IF omnicron were much more transmissible and had a similar hospitalisation rate then it could overwhelm hospitals in some countries. Hence the policies are not, outside of China, about zero covid but about delay as in the old phrase of flattening the curve.
    Given how widespread it is, if cases don't expotentially magnify in the next few days, this might not be as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Given how widespread it is, if cases don't expotentially magnify in the next few days, this might not be as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.
    Apart from trying to digest the shit show of the current press conference

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I understand the issues with Covid and immunocompromised people. My point was, how does the variant make a difference. The initial strain has the same inherent issue for HIV positive people. Unless the new strain is more deadly, I see essentially no difference in the macro view.
    On a macro view the virus new strains have 2 variables

Transmissibility
    Lethality

The ideal would be a highly transmissible non-lethal version that sweeps around the world building up some level of immunity for future covid strains.

So Sophia Chan said any country that records an Omicron case will go on the Category A list.

So I suppose if there is even 1 case in Australia, UK, Singapore etc then all those countries go on the 21 day list...? What a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    On a macro view the virus new strains have 2 variables

Transmissibility
    Lethality

The ideal would be a highly transmissible non-lethal version that sweeps around the world building up some level of immunity for future covid strains.
    Actually not quite true. Highly lethal viruses, like Ebola, will disappear quicker given the severity and immediate symptoms (bed ridden/hospitalized immediately).

Covid19 is hard to deal with because the symptoms take time to show up and people can go around spreading the virus with little to no symptoms.
    East_coast likes this.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast