Like Tree186Likes

Nov 2021 - New 'Omicron' Mutants are Coming..

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Germany stays low risk until Merkel leaves office. Politics.

Penny Bay will be full with one day's arrivals if they try to stick with using it for anywhere with Omicron... It is very clearly out and on its way to becoming prevalent everywhere in Europe and North America by now. Hopefully the trend for mild symptoms being reported holds out.
    Austria and Germany now added to high risk together with Australia and others, the criteria being confirmation that the new variant exists. If their yardstick is confirmation of new variant community transmission for any country to then be added to the 7 day PB list then quite frankly they have finally lost the plot.

It would break my mother’s heart if I cancelled my trip back to the UK. With UAE also high risk for no reason there is no viable plan B except possibly Finland. I’m seriously considering my options.

With UAE also high risk for no reason there is no viable plan B except possibly Finland.
    I suspect by early next week, pretty much every country will have some degree of Omicron community transmission.

In a couple of weeks I expect we will have some good data on how effective the Pfizer doses and boosters are. This might hopefully bring back some amount of pragmatism in countries which do not have a zero transmission goal.
    qhank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Austria and Germany now added to high risk together with Australia and others, the criteria being confirmation that the new variant exists. If their yardstick is confirmation of new variant community transmission for any country to then be added to the 7 day PB list then quite frankly they have finally lost the plot.

It would break my mother’s heart if I cancelled my trip back to the UK. With UAE also high risk for no reason there is no viable plan B except possibly Finland. I’m seriously considering my options.
    Any chance family can meet up with you in a "safe" third country? Although by Christmas, pretty sure everyone will have some omicron cases so the entire world becomes a "Group A" country in Hong Kong's eyes. Glad I got back before the shit hit the fan, just a matter of time before it picks off the rural unvaccinated in the US.

A Finnish Christmas- would surely be a "White Christmas" for your whole family to enjoy...

Hope you find somewhere you all can meet up...

Maybe there should be a system whereby VIPs can skip PB as they are not used to such privation?

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Any chance family can meet up with you in a "safe" third country? Although by Christmas, pretty sure everyone will have some omicron cases so the entire world becomes a "Group A" country in Hong Kong's eyes. Glad I got back before the shit hit the fan, just a matter of time before it picks off the rural unvaccinated in the US.

A Finnish Christmas- would surely be a "White Christmas" for your whole family to enjoy...

Hope you find somewhere you all can meet up...
    the problem is my wife’s Mum who is in her 90s so Christmas needs to be at home.

I shouldn’t say problem by the way, my mother in law is absolutely fantastic, sharp as anything though just starting to become unsteady on her feet. Her mum lived to 3 months short of the ton and she has two older sisters still alive !!!

@Ern - More and more you'll see that "VIPs" are not going to opt to travel to HK if they don't get exemptions, which are now going to be severely restricted after the last ungrateful clown said that his bank could outlive the CCP.

"I just imagine to myself, what if the head of HSBC comes back to Hong Kong and has to spend a week in Penny's Bay, before going to his hotel - Mandarin Oriental or wherever. It may not be ideal for Hong Kong to ask everybody to stay in Penny's Bay first."
    Gets tedious when they keep mentioning the head of *Bank ... They don't need to travel and should not even be attempting to travel to HK unless they're trying to score some patriotic brownie points.

Lets see how the few uni / boarding school kids who were / are planning to get to HK for Christmas will manage. I suspect like most uni kids in our group - they're going to opt to stay back in the UK / EU and have a relatively normal xmas without being taken to camp in HK.
    Ern and MABinPengChau like this.

In view of omicron panic, I wouldn't recommend anyone come home for Christmas. After quarantine, you get very little fun time to relax and then the worry of whether you will get a flight back to anywhere in the EU/UK. Spend the money you would have spent on a quarantine hotel to have a blast in the EU/UK (within your current country's borders).

shri and blandy62 like this.

I suspect the ban on countries will happen AFTER all the HK kids overseas arrive back in Hong Kong.

If the Omicron virus is so contagious that arrivals from hardhit countries have to spend 7 days in Penny Bay, then why would you transfer them on day 8 to hotels afterwards? Why day 7 ? why not day 8, 9, 10?
    Is it day 7 is considered safe because pass the incubation period??

Mrs. Jones and Cornmeal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    I suspect the ban on countries will happen AFTER all the HK kids overseas arrive back in Hong Kong.

If the Omicron virus is so contagious that arrivals from hardhit countries have to spend 7 days in Penny Bay, then why would you transfer them on day 8 to hotels afterwards? Why day 7 ? why not day 8, 9, 10?
    Is it day 7 is considered safe because pass the incubation period??
    I was asking myself the same questions...
    - Why 1 week in Penny Bay for high risk countries? It sounds to me like admitting that quarantining in hotel is not really safe for anyone.
    - Why only 1 week in Penny Bay then? It sounds to me like admitting that that is the common incubation period and the other weeks of quarantine are just overkill / deterrent to travel.
    Cornmeal likes this.

The stories on the HK Quarantine Facebook group are heartbreaking, all the countries moved to Group A means all the hotel bookings are no longer valid. Some bastard hotels are refusing to give refunds (can't use the hotel for 14 days, can't extend 7 more days). Just a complete nightmare.

Cornmeal and Mrs. Jones like this.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast