Like Tree186Likes

Nov 2021 - New 'Omicron' Mutants are Coming..

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I suspect the ban on countries will happen AFTER all the HK kids overseas arrive back in Hong Kong.

If the Omicron virus is so contagious that arrivals from hardhit countries have to spend 7 days in Penny Bay, then why would you transfer them on day 8 to hotels afterwards? Why day 7 ? why not day 8, 9, 10?
    Is it day 7 is considered safe because pass the incubation period??

Mrs. Jones and Cornmeal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    I suspect the ban on countries will happen AFTER all the HK kids overseas arrive back in Hong Kong.

If the Omicron virus is so contagious that arrivals from hardhit countries have to spend 7 days in Penny Bay, then why would you transfer them on day 8 to hotels afterwards? Why day 7 ? why not day 8, 9, 10?
    Is it day 7 is considered safe because pass the incubation period??
    I was asking myself the same questions...
    - Why 1 week in Penny Bay for high risk countries? It sounds to me like admitting that quarantining in hotel is not really safe for anyone.
    - Why only 1 week in Penny Bay then? It sounds to me like admitting that that is the common incubation period and the other weeks of quarantine are just overkill / deterrent to travel.
    Cornmeal likes this.

The stories on the HK Quarantine Facebook group are heartbreaking, all the countries moved to Group A means all the hotel bookings are no longer valid. Some bastard hotels are refusing to give refunds (can't use the hotel for 14 days, can't extend 7 more days). Just a complete nightmare.

Cornmeal and Mrs. Jones like this.

This Omicron thingy could actually be quite positive, a variant that is more infectious but less virulent, people showing milder symptoms. If this is case, then the original idea of 'herd immunity' does become more viable, just let everyone catch it, then can forget about vaccinations or booster shots in the future. This is like a soft way out of the mess we are in now. But still a bit early to know if this is the case.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...c63fa5d275fe12

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    The stories on the HK Quarantine Facebook group are heartbreaking, all the countries moved to Group A means all the hotel bookings are no longer valid. Some bastard hotels are refusing to give refunds (can't use the hotel for 14 days, can't extend 7 more days). Just a complete nightmare.
    and no doubt the same will happen for those forced to spend their first week in PB with hotels refusing to refund that first week.

I keep saying it but it is disgusting that the government completely washes its hands of the impact of its policies.

Japan will move to group A in a bit - first case(s) detected.

MABinPengChau and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    I was asking myself the same questions...
    - Why 1 week in Penny Bay for high risk countries? It sounds to me like admitting that quarantining in hotel is not really safe for anyone.
    - Why only 1 week in Penny Bay then? It sounds to me like admitting that that is the common incubation period and the other weeks of quarantine are just overkill / deterrent to travel.
    I believe the answer is simple: the recommendation from the committee from China that “inspected” the Covid measures recommended that Hong Kong puts everyone in dedicated quarantine facilities. Omnicron is being used as an excuse to start implementing that (Penny Bay) and for now 7 days because a) everyone secretly knows that is enough and b) there simoly are not enough dedicated quarantine facilities right now. Don’t worry, the announcement will probably come soon that new “Penny Bays” will be build soon. The rationale to the public will be that this eliminates the hassle of booking hotel rooms. And everyone can then spend 21 days in Penny Bays

https://www.thenationalnews.com/coro...can-epicentre/

Omicron:Covid patients aged 2 and under most likely to go to hospital in South African epicentre

Shut all borders

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    In view of omicron panic, I wouldn't recommend anyone come home for Christmas. After quarantine, you get very little fun time to relax and then the worry of whether you will get a flight back to anywhere in the EU/UK. Spend the money you would have spent on a quarantine hotel to have a blast in the EU/UK (within your current country's borders).
    What's your view on HKers contemplating visiting friends/family overseas for Christmas - don't bother to avoid being caught out by kneejerk policy changes?

It's a real shambles this entire situation.