Like Tree14Likes

Omicron: HKU Vaccine

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omicron: HKU Vaccine

HKU has become the first in Asia to successfully isolate Omicron, four days after the variant's first two cases were confirmed in the city and five days after it was reported by South Africa to the World Health Organization on November 24.

HKU microbiologist Yuen Kwok-yung said the partnership is aimed at producing a new generation of jabs that carry deactivated Omicron variants, but refused to disclose the name of the mainland firm as contracts have yet to be signed.

Yuen said existing vaccines - including the Beijing-made Sinovac and German-made BioNTech/Fosun available in Hong Kong -can still offer protection against Omicron infections.

He cited two cases in Hong Kong as an example, in which a South African man carrying the Omicron variant infected a Canadian staying in the opposite room at quarantine hotel Regal Airport.

Yuen said both men have received two BioNTech doses less than six months ago and only suffered mild symptoms.

"We have been doing blood tests for them. In just several days after diagnosis, their antibodies level rose tenfold, meaning mRNA vaccine [BioNTech] has made the immune system memorize the virus, triggering it to quickly produce antibodies," he said.

"This is a very good sign and once again points to the need that everybody should consider taking the vaccine as soon as possible."
    And this was mentioned earlier in the thread..

But Yuen said it is also possible that the Omicron mutations occurred in AIDS patients.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ion/11/236650/
    Elegiaque and SirNotAppearing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And this was mentioned earlier in the thread..

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ion/11/236650/
    Glad to hear this but not surprised. HKU Faculty of Medicine is one of the best medical school in Asia, they have the talent and know-how to do this, especially with the SARS experience. My only concern is the mainland partner. That I have...rather more questions.

LOL, I believe it when I see it. What happened to that nasal vaccine that HKU announced over a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    LOL, I believe it when I see it. What happened to that nasal vaccine that HKU announced over a year ago?
    TL;DR - Its on a long list of things no one gives a crap about...

Question: What is the time schedule for conducting the phase 1 clinical trial in HK?
    Answer:

The phase 1 clinical trial is conducted by the HKU Clinical Trials Centre

This is a phase 1 trial which consists of 2 parts. Part 1 is for dose identification and will involve 30 volunteers. Part 2 is an expansion study and will involve 85 volunteers at the dose level identified from Part 1.

Part 1 has started in March. The main stage will last for about 6 months. The volunteers will however need to come back 12 months after the first vaccination to follow up on their immune responses.

Part 2 will start in July. Again, the main stage will last for about 6 months, with an immune responses follow up in 12 months from first vaccination.

The phase 1 trial is supported by CEPI’s funding of US$4.89 million and the Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) grant. Phase 2 trial has not been planned yet and separate funding will be required. We would need further funding from CEPI for phase 2 and 3 , hopefully also from investors when phase 1 data are promising.

https://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_22571.html
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    They didn't need to produce it or produce it so qyickly now when other vaccines are available. You seem pretty ignore about the expertise of hku medicine to question their ability.

TL;DR - Its on a long list of things no one gives a crap about...

https://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_22571.html
    Like I said, the urgency of producing that vaccine is a lot lower now. So its way down the to-do-list. But to question the competence of hku medicine because of that just reveal one's ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Like I said, the urgency of producing that vaccine is a lot lower now. So its way down the to-do-list. But to queation the competence of hku competence because of that just reveal one's ignorance.
    Just to avoid 893 posts about this... it has nothing to do with HKU's competence. If you read the FAQ, the problem is clear - no one gives a crap about this work in HK. From investors to the bureaucracy ... "because it is easier to just buy some shit from somewhere else".

This problem plagues virtually all levels of innovation or attempts at.

So yeah.. no one gives a crap about what HKU puts out...

Question: What are the major difficulties encountered?

Answer: We need to have investor funding first. But most HK investor do not like to take risk. Our vaccine has been in the laboratory for 3 to 4 years, but there is not enough funding to go forward until the emergence of COVID-19. After that, the biggest difficulty is the absence of vaccine production plant in HKSAR. It finally has to be manufactured in collaboration with Xiamen University, Wantai and Chang Chun BK corporations. Same as mRNA vaccine, there are more investors during the pandemic. Nasal delivery of vaccine is being actively explored right now for the response in the next stage of the pandemic.

Question: Why take such a rather long time to start the phase 1 clinical trial in HK?

Answer: There is no clear approval mechanism or precedence for the exportation of an HKSAR produced vaccine seed which is expanded and manufactured in Mainland vaccine plants. Therefore, it will take time and effort. We are grateful to Mr. Matthew Cheung, the Chief Secretary of HKSAR government who spent time to clarify and facilitate this process and finally got the vaccine to HKSAR for phase 1 clinical trial.

Just to avoid 893 posts about this... it has nothing to do with HKU's competence. If you read the FAQ, the problem is clear - no one gives a crap about this work in HK. From investors to the bureaucracy ... "because it is easier to just buy some shit from somewhere else".

This problem plagues virtually all levels of innovation or attempts at.

So yeah.. no one gives a crap about what HKU puts out...
    I wouldn't necessarily against this. If they made an omnicron vaccine that works, then its a different story. I don't think you should rely on past events to say this time it won't work either. The two events are not necessarily the same situation.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 02-12-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Glad to hear this but not surprised. HKU Faculty of Medicine is one of the best medical school in Asia, they have the talent and know-how to do this, especially with the SARS experience. My only concern is the mainland partner. That I have...rather more questions.
    As long as the mainland partner sticks to HK requirements. I see no issues with them, if they veer too far off then I have an issue.
    Coolboy likes this.

"This is a very good sign and once again points to the need that everybody should consider taking the vaccine as soon as possible."
    "should consider" a stronger endorsement won't be found...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast