Like Tree1007Likes

Jan 2022 - COVID-19 Omicron wave?

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    I think there it's fair to say that locals, supported by the government ironically, are treating any covid death, actually even case, as if it is that serious.

Meanwhile how many thousands of people have died from cancer etc or lost out because money is being poured into zero covid instead of R&D for other diseases?

It really makes it impossible to u turn and even start to tell the public that *one day* we will have to live with Covid here.
    This is exactly one of the huge problems in HK and has been for 2 years now.

Many locals simply don't understand the risk and consistently behave like covid and especially omi is far more dangerous than it is.

To get HK out of this fucking ridiculous state of fear, we need positive re-enforcement about that, not yet more supporting of the 'but but but covid position'.

As DYU says this place needs to move the fuck on.

We don't even need people advocating for a middle path, as the middle path in HK still means excessively fear laden responses - we need a complete about face in local attitudes.
    statman, D.YU, Insomnia and 2 others like this.

Maybe people should read the data from the UK to get things into perspective:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...eek_1_2022.pdf

2.5mln cases, overall hospitalization rateovwer all age groups for the unvaccinated 0.74% vs. 0,33% for the vaccinated. Risk of deathj withion 60 days after a positive test over all age groups 0,17% for the unvaccinated and 0,14% for the vaccinated.Risk of death for vaccinated below 50 practically no existent (0,02% at maximum), for the 50-59 age group at 0,06%. Statistical vaccine protection for the older age groups very significant, especially for those 80+, but given the very high vaccine rate in this age group in the UK, probably the ones which are not vaccinated might be in a medical condition that does not allow the vaccine so this might lead to a certain distortion.

Tandy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Surprising that after 2 years we still have people pretending it's the plague
    Surprising (and unforgiveable) that after 2 years, the government also seems to have absolutely no clue or plan as to how to live with the virus.
    ByeByeEngland and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Not correct anymore - omi is now being shown to be of less risk to vaxxed elderly then the flu.

So 'not as bad as the flu', thank you very much

If you were to keep dredging ups old arguments and misrepresenting peoples views like that tosspot the Brit then people are going to pull you up on it.
    Where is the data to support this please? I'm not saying it's not true.....I desperately want it to be true as it's the way out of this mess, but I tried to find data to support that and wasn't able to.

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    Where is the data to support this please? I'm not saying it's not true.....I desperately want it to be true as it's the way out of this mess, but I tried to find data to support that and wasn't able to.
    What I could find on short notice is flu mortality rate in the US for 2019 - 2020 seems to be lower than Omicron, i.e. 65+ years are at 0.02% mortality risk vs. 0,27 to 4,7 (80+) for vaccinated persons (from the UK data shared earlier).

Personally, I think comparison to prior flu waves are not really helping as the data might be unreliable and has never been collected in so much detail for flu than for Covid

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-age-group/
    statman likes this.

The only thing that scares me about omicron is that since it's infecting everyone and his brother (at least in the US) it has plenty of opportunities to mutate into something else that is more lethal. US has a lot of immunocompromised people and one of them gets it and it hangs around awhile, mutating away...

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think everyone on here agrees the zero covid approach is the wrong way to go.

This is the problem I think, dividing people into "we" and "them". There are a whole range of views and attitudes with only a tiny minority at either extreme. It is not " let it rip" or "paranoid, the plague". For most people it is finding a middle path.
    https://www.middlewaysociety.org/mid...he-middle-way/

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    The only thing that scares me about omicron is that since it's infecting everyone and his brother (at least in the US) it has plenty of opportunities to mutate into something else that is more lethal. US has a lot of immunocompromised people and one of them gets it and it hangs around awhile, mutating away...
    Historically speaking, virus mutates to less severity. The virus needs to spread to survive and if the virus is too strong, the host dies and ends the spread.

Hence, Omicron is more transmissable but less dangerous.
    njstone9 and statman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Historically speaking, virus mutates to less severity. The virus needs to spread to survive and if the virus is too strong, the host dies and ends the spread.

Hence, Omicron is more transmissable but less dangerous.
    Yes, this is true (and omicron is indeed a product) but I feel like all bets are off when you have 1 million infections or more per day- seems like the odds of something bad happening just got increased.

Anyway, still a relatively remote possibility. Everything else about omicron seems good news- few symptoms, spreads fast, burns out in a couple of months...
    blandy62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    What are the reasons for the unvaccinated to still refuse vaccination in HK? I am curious to know.
    Selfish, paranoid fuckwits who love the pandemic, it's the best thing that's ever happened to them.
    Insomnia, tf19, Flapster and 5 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast