Like Tree225Likes

Kindergarten & Primary Suspended Until After CNY

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

My youngest is not going near a sinovac vax. If it becomes mandatory for attending school, I think they'll be a lot of push back.

My oldest already has the Pfizer, but that was his choice as he wanted to be able to do school football, etc.

Edit - re read original post

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Why are people being so dramatic about Penny’s Bay? I would rather my kids GO TO SCHOOL for the minuscule percentage chance of getting sent to quarantine. And it’s 14 days from contact, meaning by the time any patient zero kid stops attending school, tests positive, and they actually identify the classmates you’re looking at 9-10 days maybe.

I’m hearing teachers say they are “living in fear” of PB. Calm the F down.
    If you have pets, it is a big problem. If you have dying pets, as I did, it is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    If you have pets, it is a big problem. If you have dying pets, as I did, it is unacceptable.
    Sorry for your pet.

In the case of school exposures it’s usually only the kid or teacher, not their entire household. Except for the family where the virus originated I guess.

I stopped watching Netflix cos HK Gov is way more entertaining! I feel sorry for all HK parents, WFH and homeschooling in those noisy little apartments.

Skyhook and hannah01 like this.

I'm curious to see the impact it will have on the kids for missing so much school. I was reading a French teacher saying last year already that the writing level went down a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I'm curious to see the impact it will have on the kids for missing so much school. I was reading a French teacher saying last year already that the writing level went down a lot.
    Speaking as a teacher... It's impossible for children to stay focused all day on Zoom. Impossible and unrealistic.

Far too easy to switch to another tab and do something else.

Teachers can't pick up on students who aren't paying attention or who haven't grasped something just by looking at their face or body language.

Being on Zoom also removes all those little in office conversations about students which are so helpful.

Parents might think being on Zoom is fine but as a teacher I can tell you it is extremely damaging to their progress.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    Speaking as a teacher... It's impossible for children to stay focused all day on Zoom. Impossible and unrealistic.

Teachers can't pick up on students who aren't paying attention or who haven't grasped something just by looking at their face or body language.

Being on Zoom also removes all those little in office conversations about students which are so helpful.

Parents might think being on Zoom is fine but as a teacher I can tell you it is extremely damaging to their progress.
    Yeah I have done professional training and webinars. It is very frustrating because you rely on seeing people's expression to see if they are lost or not. Also people are more scared to ask questions. That and technical problems, it's a fucking nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I know I have said this repeatedly but I am not worried so much about my kids' learning. Yes they have a wonderful dad but more importantly the class plans have been completely rewritten to make the teaching online friendly.

It seems to me that in Hong Kong they have just put the face to face classes onto zoom. Here they have only one or two hours online each day. Everything is presented for online teaching and study. But the teachers know face to face classes will not start anytime soon.

Where they are missing out is the social side of school.

Name:  IMG_20220106_140906.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  22.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:

The best post of this whole thread. Those without kids just don't realize the impact of the lack of face-to-face teaching has on students, so its not just the impact on overwhelmed parents like me.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 11-01-2022 at 07:49 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast