Like Tree516Likes

Hong Kong: Delta from Hamsters

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

36 pet shops have been hit with CTNs... and 26 other places.

https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/ctn...18.pdf?noembed

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Let's face it, most of the hamsters were already dead long before the press conference, they are not holding them somewhere. It's just up to individual owners to hang on to the ones they have.
    I have no doubt the government of this fine city are doing everything possible to ensure the wellbeing of the poor little hamsters and they are being treated well.

As an aside and totally unrelated I am sure, I had the roast suckling pig for lunch at my local Spanish restaurant and although it was a lot smaller and scrawnier than the piglets they have had in the past it was still very good and I highly recommend.

Leaving aside the horror in culling 2000 hamsters for one moment, what about the actual logistics in how this will be carried out? I mean hamsters are tiny mammals, but even so, to cull 2000 in short order would be a logistical challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Leaving aside the horror in culling 2000 hamsters for one moment, what about the actual logistics in how this will be carried out? I mean hamsters are tiny mammals, but even so, to cull 2000 in short order would be a logistical challenge?
    Chuck 'em all in a bag, fill with CO2. Job done.
    shri and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears:
    Would be a lot of bags...wasteful of AFCD.

7 January batch of hamsters- if you bought a hamster after 7 January, mandatory quarantine. Now, after 22nd December, HAND OVER YOUR HAMSTERS to AFCD... (everywhere? Or just this shop?).
    cant be 2000 hamster in one shop, I get the impress it is all hamsters , not just that shop

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears:
    yup, they have experience, remember they culled all those chickens with co2 in bag

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    cant be 2000 hamster in one shop, I get the impress it is all hamsters , not just that shop
    Yes, clarified later in the press conference. Any hamster bought since December 22nd. Which makes no sense if you bought it from a completely different pet shop. So hopefully people don't go along with it (since it also comes with mandatory testing and, for some, mandatory quarantine, no one really wants to sign up for that...).

Yes, clarified later in the press conference. Any hamster bought since December 22nd. Which makes no sense if you bought it from a completely different pet shop. So hopefully people don't go along with it (since it also comes with mandatory testing and, for some, mandatory quarantine, no one really wants to sign up for that...).
    They tested the hamster from the warehouse as well, its also infected.
    Ya, i agree the mandatory testing and quarantine will scared people.

What would be a better suggestion to handle this though?

Denmark and Nutch culled millions of mink due to covid infection as well last year, and also banned mink farming for the next couple years if i am not mistaken.

Finland on the other hand, decided to give jab to some of their mink: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ulled-millions

I guess hamsters should be treated differently because It's a pet and they are surely cuter and more useful than a mink?

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast