Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau

Travel and Covid Insurance Policies

Closed Thread

Travel and Covid Insurance Policies

I see a few countries indicating travel insurance with "covid" specific coverage minimums required for entry.

However, I found a few travel policies in HK with contradicting T&Cs. Their marketing shows covid covers, but their policy jacket says pandemic including covid19 is excluded... I used to write these contracts and the ambiguity here is not looking hot for the consumers.

Split this out as it is a good independent topic by itself.

Had asked our insurance agent a few weeks ago when I was planning a trip. They have provided the ifs and buts via email / Whatsapp and they have been saved.

However to be in th safe side, best to buy the locally approved policies before leaving - specifically aware of Singapore and Thailand needing insurance and their local policies / minimum requirements are quite reasonable.

go local
    Ukraine , Thailand, and who else ?
    Most countries don’t require insurance anymore.
    I remember Brazil did. for a short while but has dropped this req. quickly

Singapore needs some sort of specific covid coverage.

Bupa covered me for travel last year to the US (not a US requirement but you would be crazy to travel to the US without such coverage). Required that your country of residence (HK, for me, TW) not have warned residents against travel to that country. TW had a warning saying don't go unless essential and I think I read that definition as it applied to family issues and worked for me (thankfully did not need to test my coverage). I was in the US over 3 months so relatively expensive but you do what you have to do...

https://www.bupaglobal.com/en/corona...ual-and-single

shri likes this.

I called a few insurers today and most of them exclude all or most Covid related losses. My main concern is trip cancelation due to government flight bans. Especially for my trip, I am stopping in another country for a week before going to Canada. If flight is banned to my first destination, then my connecting flights are all missed.

Friendly advice, do not trust the travel policy jackets. They have changed the wording slightly to protect themselves. For example, AIG did not mention anything related to pandemics/infectious diseases/covid/etc on their policy jacket, however, they put a "notice" on their website as a T&C. In my view, they are liable to clearly define their coverage in their contract between insured and the insurance company. Unethical shit company. I used to work for them lmao.