Like Tree192Likes

The PRC government is the best thing that has happened to China in the past 2 centuri

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

<deleted message>

Last edited by Mat; 16-07-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    BTW Boris, the invasion of Iraq was not supported by the UN, .

Excatly what I was saying. but as we said, this can be another debate later.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Yeah if you ever poll the people in the prison, they all claim to be innocent. The butler did it with the candlesticks.

Sacrifice a few to protect the many.
    Did I say poll? you really are something....

Wow, where did I even mention western Europe and the Cold war? I equated China's support of NK with the US support of Hussein and the Taliban. How are the facts so different may I ask?

I never said that the current leadership should not be held accountable for their current actions simply that you can't blame Hu Jintao and his cronies for what Mao did for example just as I wouldn't blame Obama for the invasion of Iraq.

BTW Boris, the invasion of Iraq was not supported by the UN, it was and is not supported by the majority of US citizens who finally had their say several years later and voted Bush out of office. Of course, it's not easy to get yourself out of such a mess so Obama is stuck with his predecessors decision just as the PRC is can be held back with the errors of the past.
    Lots of irrevelant stuff here. The US never supported the Taliban - you are referring to Majahadeen fighting the Soviet invasion which is a completely different thing and a long story. The Iraq War was supported by a majority of Americans and by quite a lot of liberal interventionists world wide. When it got ugly, they turned against it, as people do. Not sure what you think the UN approval would have done. The fact that you obviously consider the Iraq War some kind of crime -- and that you think it is on par with say, the Great Leap Forward -- indicates a lack of understanding and context. Anyway, unless you are prepared to go on record a stating that the "Communist Government of the PRC is the best thing to happen to China in two centuries" I suggest we agree to disagree and take up the topic, if ever, on an appropriately designated thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wcluk:

FYI
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now exactly how many Chinese citizens voted for Hu Jintao?

No you didnt, I said that. Since you claimed that you would gladly spend our tax dollars on housing prisoners instead of executing them since a few are innocent.

For a Banker, im shocked that your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Remind me never to bank with the bank you work for.
    We select our customers, so no worry.

There has been numerous cases of ppl initially condemned and later on the condemnation was revoked.
    The life of those innocents mean something.

If by any chance (I do not wish it to you of course) you are in this position of being wrongly accused and sentenced to death, you will be very glad, people like me agreed to pay taxes to help solve cases like yours.

The death penalty is a barbaric act in itself.
    gilleshk and bookblogger like this.

So if I ever am sentenced to die, make it quick. Dont waste my time.

As barbaric as executions are, its for the greater good. The world is over populated as is, whats 1 or two lives mean in the whole scale of things? Absolutely nothing.

You are just a big mouth....and your arguments (the world is over populated..) my oh my....!

BTW Boris, the invasion of Iraq was not supported by the UN,
    REALLY ???
    Seems you better tell the UN to amend its records and change history then.

UN Security Council resolutions relating to Iraq

Some people really need to learn to remember the facts, even if like most politicians wanting to get re elected. they disown resolution 1441.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Lots of irrevelant stuff here. The US never supported the Taliban - you are referring to Majahadeen fighting the Soviet invasion which is a completely different thing and a long story. The Iraq War was supported by a majority of Americans and by quite a lot of liberal interventionists world wide. When it got ugly, they turned against it, as people do. Not sure what you think the UN approval would have done. The fact that you obviously consider the Iraq War some kind of crime -- and that you think it is on par with say, the Great Leap Forward -- indicates a lack of understanding and context. Anyway, unless you are prepared to go on record a stating that the "Communist Government of the PRC is the best thing to happen to China in two centuries" I suggest we agree to disagree and take up the topic, if ever, on an appropriately designated thread.
    The Taliban and Bin Laden were mujahideen. Invading another country without provocation is a crime and so was funneling arms as in the Contra scandal.

Bush wasn't technically voted out of office but very obviously the country had enough of the republican BS including its warring ways.

No one knows whether the PRC was the best or the worse thing to happen to China since there are no points of reference. They happened, they screwed up majorly with communism but not necessarily with being authoritarian. I don't see a huge problem with a somewhat authoritarian regime as long as there's a free market, reasonable freedom for the people and freedom of the press. Singapore has a decent model that has brought them success. The so called democratic process is mostly a sham anyway since it's all controlled by money.

In HK, I don't think the death penalty is necessary because crimes in this city are USUALLY not as violent and hideous as those committed in the USA. When was the last time HK had a serial killer that went around killing 25-30 prostitutes, and dumping their bodies in the river afterward? When was the last time in HK, an entire family of 6 was raped, tortured and eventually murdered and yet the killer was proud to admit freely in court that he had done it? However, I do agree that the appeal process in the USA is far too long. Some convicted killers are still waiting to be executed 25 years after his sentence was handed down. Fortunately, now that with DNA available, hopefully there MAY BE lesser and lesser innocent ppl put to death by mistake.

Last edited by Renotommy; 16-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast