Like Tree192Likes

The PRC government is the best thing that has happened to China in the past 2 centuri

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Last edited by fth; 17-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Skyhook likes this.

To be clear this thread started with a post of someone who clearly missed out on some Chinese history classes can we get back on topic please?

Freetrader likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is form here. They were just too busy elsewhere to bother the Europeans (apart from a bail out)
    All this is beside the point/irrelevant. The poster asked about the 'isolationist' policy which related to US/Europe & Asia, not to these events in the Western Hemisphere.

The economic policy, was, of course, part of the isoliationism.
    Renotommy likes this.

[QUOTE=Freetrader;910445]All this is beside the point/irrelevant. The poster asked about the 'isolationist' policy which related to US/Europe & Asia, not to these events in the Western Hemisphere.

The economic policy, was, of course, part of the isoliationism.

While most of the world is criticizing the USA muddling into other nations' business and acting like a world police. Just for argument sake, what would happen if the USA decided to stop supporting Israel, Taiwan, and started to withdraw all the troops from Iraq, Afghanistan, the Middle East, Europe and all other nations and to promise the world nations that it will never ever get involved in others business again. As long as America is being left alone, we don't bother anyone......something like what China is doing. Do you think this world will be more peaceful or will wars be broken out everywhere?
    In short, do you think the world may be better off without this World Policeman?

Freetrader likes this.

For one thing, they might have money to fix their own economy and health care which are in shambles and they wouldn't be facing terrorist threats as much as they have already.

The US spends more money on the military than the next 10 nations combined. It's pretty hard to justify that kind of money for self defense.

Policemen implies that they maintain order, unfortunately that isn't the case. All they are doing is protecting their interests which are far and wide which wasn't the case 100 years ago. I think at best we should hope that the US tries harder to stay within the framework of the UN and provides logistical support for humanitarian aid as opposed to invading and deposing people they don't like.

If you spend a bit of time in Africa, you would be surprised to see how much presence the Chinese have there. They are quietly building roads, factories, infrastructure in return for deeply needed resources.

Renotommy likes this.

Policemen implies that they maintain order, unfortunately that isn't the case. All they are doing is protecting their interests which are far and wide which wasn't the case 100 years ago.

I tend to agree with you that "World Policeman" may NOT be an appropriate title for the USA; frankly, I don't know what to call it. However, when Kuwait was invaded by Iraq in 1990s, the USA did a good deed by kicking Saddam out and I think the world would pretty much agree with that.

We are straying from the original topic, so I am going to shut up and let others to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:

Christ, are we still talking about this irrelevant topic?

For one thing, they might have money to fix their own economy and health care which are in shambles and they wouldn't be facing terrorist threats as much as they have already.

Nonsensical, no response possible.

The US spends more money on the military than the next 10 nations combined. It's pretty hard to justify that kind of money for self defense.

Possibly so, but since the US has to provide defense for all the NATO countries and most of East Asia except China, it is understandable. Also, the 'next 10 countries' is a gross exaggeration, unless you accept the PRC's numbers at face value.

Policemen implies that they maintain order, unfortunately that isn't the case. All they are doing is protecting their interests which are far and wide which wasn't the case 100 years ago. I think at best we should hope that the US tries harder to stay within the framework of the UN and provides logistical support for humanitarian aid as opposed to invading and deposing people they don't like.

Another idiotic statement. The world is more peaceful now and has more 'order' than at almost any time in history. The US would love to work within the UN, and generally attempts to do so (having founded it, after all), but as we saw only last week, it is feeble and has no enforcement ability. As long as China and Russia have vetoes, there will be no effective UN 'police force'.

If you spend a bit of time in Africa, you would be surprised to see how much presence the Chinese have there. They are quietly building roads, factories, infrastructure in return for deeply needed resources.

Thanks again for that brilliant remark. They are indeed building bridges and infrastructure to support and entrench iincompetent theives such as Zenawi in Ethopia...the list there is endless.
    Comments above. As I have said, please start another thread if you want to discus "is the US good or evil." This thread is about the greatness of the Chinese Communist Party.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 17-07-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    paenme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Thanks again for that brilliant remark. They are indeed building bridges and infrastructure to support and entrench iincompetent theives such as Zenawi in Ethopia...the list there is endless.
    So it's OK for the US to support Saddam Hussein and then change their mind and invade his country and sit on their ass on Darfur and Rwanda but China is wrong when they (peacefully I might add) provide support to African country.

And as I said, feel free to stop discussing anytime...

Please remind us what the US deficit currently is? How about the debt? I know those pesky money problems are nonsensical...

The US HAS to provide he says... Of course no one can look after themselves. I remember the Philippines begging you guys to stay... Oh whoops, Am I bad? They kicked the US out! You seriously think Japan wants US bases on its soil? The SK are split on the issue and I don't blame them. Taiwan is pretty happy to have the US umbrella. As for the others, well I guess they don't count...

At any rate, you currently have a president that has some sense since he is trying to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and stop wasting billions on something that is counterproductive.

The world is safer now than its ever been? Please find some facts to base this allegation. With all the nukes and terrorists around, I don't feel any safer. Would you say that people take more security precautions now or before? I don't remember taking my shoes and my belt off before in airports. I was actually banned from taking a tennis racquet on a US flight. Yeah you guys are feeling real safe...

An now the US singlehandedly founded the UN and on top of it, you complain when they don't follow along with YOUR ideas...

Good and evil are typical words for an american, I don't see the world that way...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    All they are doing is protecting their interests which are far and wide which wasn't the case 100 years ago.
    So the distance from Cuba to Korea isn't far and wide?

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    What color is the sky on your planet? You have a very distored illusion of right and wrong. China's support of those S African countries is for the explotation of its precious minerals or for its strategic value, no more no less.

Have you ever seen China support a butt poor, mineral poor, non strategic POS country? No, China only supports those countries it deems to be economically viable or strategic in the long run.

It is willing to sacrifice its people and support terror regimes in the name of the mighty Yuan, nothing more nothing less.

Bashing the USA and painting a rosy picture of China does nothing but show your myopic and distorted vision of the world.

We know you hate the USA for whatever reason it may be. Perhaps you were denied a Visa?
    One day when you hone your reading skills, you might notice that I said exactly that: China trades support for resources... and so do the US. I see no difference whatsoever between the two in that regard. Of course China hasn't really invaded anyone yet. It was simply in response to someone that saw China as a stay at home power.

I certainly never painted a rosy picture of China but I guess people see what they want to see...

My contention is and always has been that the US is simply no better than China. It treats its citizen better but tends to interfere more in global politics mostly because it has more interests to defend. The only thing that really bothers me with the US is that they often try to sugarcoat it by calling the other side evil and clothing themselves as liberators and bringers of freedom and democracy.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast