Like Tree192Likes

The PRC government is the best thing that has happened to China in the past 2 centuri

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

maybe this is a dumb question....

but what is the benefit of keep the country in one piece instead of separating it into several countries? If they can't really regulate a country this big with that many ppl in it... would it be better after they separate it into small countries??

just a thought...

Renotommy, dear giant and jpinst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wcluk:

but what is the benefit of keep the country in one piece instead of separating it into several countries? If they can't really regulate a country this big with that many ppl in it... would it be better after they separate it into small countries??

just a thought...
    Economy of scales, resources come to mind.

and you think splitting it will be easy? how, based on what? language? ethicity? geography? a kind of long and painful process.

whenever you have people from different ethnic groups, values, religion, or affluence, there will be talk of separation.

Personally, I think it is better to allow for some form of self government when these situation arise. However, pride often gets in the way and some are reluctant to change the status quo.

Economically, it's better to have control over territory particularly when resources are involved. The argument for having large entities is always the same whether it's countries our business. It comes down to power and influence. That was part of the idea behind forming the EU to counteract the growing north american influence.

It's interesting to read some of the negative comment on China. They may have a repressive system and lots more work to do with freeing markets and the press but they certainly don't have a history of sticking their nose in other people's business as the US loves to do...

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wcluk:

just a thought...
    I have been a citizen of both a small and a large/powerful country and can certainly appreciate the benefits that come with being a citizen of a large country. The pride, priviledges, and the respect (generally) of being part of a world super power is not easy to describe until you have experienced it. I have no doubt why China would want to stay large, both for the benefits of the nation and its people.

Sure there are a lot of "mid-size" rich countries that are doing fine, but most of them will never attain the status of world super power (top of the world both economically and militarily), and there is something missing in that in my opinion. If China has a chance at being a super power (in fact it may already be there), why give that up?
    Last edited by paenme; 15-07-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Really? You might want to try telling that to Singaporeans (or the Irish, or Kiwis, or Scandinavians). I don't think there's a good correlation between size and pride, privilege or respect.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paenme:
    I have been a citizen of both a small and a large/powerful country and can certainly appreciate the benefits that come with being a citizen of a large country. The pride, priviledges, and the respect (generally) of being part of a world super power is not easy to describe until you have experienced it.
    As someone who has not had the (apparent) pleasure of being citizen of a large/powerful country, I would like to hear more detail of the pride, privileges and respect that goes with citizenship. Then I would also like to see how that relates to China.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzerman:
    Yes, there are plenty of examples of oppressiveness.

But at the end of the day it was the Mainland government who bled and lost limbs to unite China. They were the ones who fought and bled to unite China, Long March and all; while you were sitting at home being an armchair critic eating your big mac getting fat.

They did the work. They paid the price in blood. You did nothing except logging onto the internet to criticise.

And it was also them who opened the doors to foreign investment and brought china out of its isolationist policy which lasted for 200 years. You could say the mainland government saved China from another few centuries of disorder and poverty.

Look at next door in India. You have pluralistic democracy. But the Indians are lagging very far behind China in advancement and standard of living. I would take living in Shanghai over Mumbai anyday.

Every Republic has its fair share of oppressiveness. Britain invaded 1/3 of countries in the world, killed and plundered the locals, and leeched off their riches. She also kidnapped hundreds of thousands of her own children and sent them abroad. I don't see you voicing your disapproval of that.

Is that any better than what has happened in the history of China? Not to me. Over the 100 years of British rule in Hong Kong, was there any elections or democracy? No.

Why didn't the British implement democracy in Hong Kong if they are such fervent believers of the democratic system? They had 100 years to do it but they didn't.

You know the answer to that question.

It is naive of one to expect the development of China to go smoothly without any kinks. But at the end of the day, did they stick it in, pay the price and get the job done?

I would say they did.

If they were to put you in charge of just a small city in Guangdong, I doubt you would last a week Boris.
    Seems you will just float any rubbish to try an support your ludicrous views.

FYI - My wife is Chinese, her family has been oppressed and persecuted. I have lived in the poverty poor area of China putting my own efforts to give employment for over 250 people. I get no income from it and it all stays in China. What have you done for the poor and oppressed?

Love the "You did nothing except logging onto the internet to criticize.". So what did you do specifically. We should all sit here, educated people, and just nod our heads because you say so? Seems you want us all to just be CCP autobots. I am just loving the really educated and worthy comments coming out of contributors here. You just get to look more naive by the second.

Finally - because some of us have real jobs to do - "If they were to put you in charge of just a small city in Guangdong, I doubt you would last a week Boris."
    I fail to get the meaning. Never asked to do it, never would ever want to do it. I am not a corrupt person relying on payments to the police and " kindnesses " to my bosses to give an air of power to men with incredibly small penis, and a liking for copious amounts of BiZhou so could never possibly qualify.

If it was meant to be a bitching sword swipe to cut down the lowei then -- you missed and I'll take my 2,390 contributions to the community against your 25 any day.
    Last edited by Boris; 15-07-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Really? You might want to try telling that to Singaporeans (or the Irish, or Kiwis, or Scandinavians). I don't think there's a good correlation between size and pride, privilege or respect.
    Every citizen can (and should) be proud of their country, I am still proud of where I came from, but there is a difference in scales/perspectives. Something to be said about being a citizen of a super power, it is just not the same.

China has the potential to be a super power, it arguably already is. Singapore, NZ, Ireland etc. however nice and beautiful, likely never will be. Sad things about being small countries, there is after all a limit to how much better/greater they can ever be.
    Last edited by paenme; 15-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Something to be said about being a citizen of a super power, it is just not the same.
    Go on then, enlighten us - what is this "something".

Personally I can think of a few countries I admire, and most of them are small. None has more than 100m citizens.

Every citizen can (and should) be proud of their country
    Should? Why? What good has ever come from pride?
    dear giant and physdude1 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast