Like Tree192Likes

The PRC government is the best thing that has happened to China in the past 2 centuri

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

I don't have a problem with pride per se, but I see no reason to be proud of something just by accident of birth.

dear giant likes this.

The problem I have with pride in general is that for most people it serves as nothing more than a convenient stepping stone to vanity and hubris.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzerman:
    Yes, there are plenty of examples of oppressiveness.

But at the end of the day it was the Mainland government who bled and lost limbs to unite China.
    Wow. The government bled and lost limbs? The people of china have bled and died for their country and family, but the senior CCP members have only made money and profited from China. If they ever did bleed, it was only because other more senior members sat back and watched it happen.

Your statements about the CCP are an insult to the many millions of regular chinese citizens who have had to put up with all the crap from the power-hungry leaders.

I hope the 50 Cents was worth it
    dear giant and Woodpecker like this.

I see nothing admirable about anyone who takes no pride of who they are and where they come from.

Were a choice of citizenship between the US and one of those countries you admire offered to a group of third world folks, would the majority of them take the former or latter?

Quote Originally Posted by paenme:
    I see nothing admirable about anyone who takes no pride of who they are and where they come from.
    That's your prerogative, of course, but you should probably realize that not everyone needs nationalism to define who they are. Humans can live perfectly normal lives without waving flags and hating others for their place of birth.

What a very strange point of view. Why would you take "pride" in a pure accident of birth and genetics?
    dear giant likes this.

Were a choice of citizenship between the US and one of those countries you admire offered to a group of third world folks, would the majority of them take the former or latter?
    If they have educated themselves properly then in my opinion they would take almost any developed country ahead of the US, not least because of the worldwide tax implications and restrictions on investments and banking which makes it a very expensive and awkward citizenship to hold.
    physdude1 likes this.

Quite possible the latter, for all kinds of reasons:
    1. No global taxation;
    2. Better reputation of these countries in many places and, hence, better reception and treatment for their respective citizens;
    3. Related to 2., fewer safety threats in many places;
    4. Less contentious or politicized diplomatic relations, resulting in better travel/visa arrangements
    5. ...

I could go on, but frankly the question calls for unreasonable generalization.

So now you are just saying that people from third world countries have no pride? If you have been to a third world country, the average citizen takes an enormous amount of pride in their country, despite the difficulties that they are up against. And I am not sure they would choose the USA either.

Here is a list of the Top 50 Countries by GDP per Capita.

I think you would struggle to find an average citizen of 5 of these countries who would swap their passport for a USA one.

Since it's third world residents we're talking about, they'd likely also be very interested in the comprehensive social services available in, say, the scandinavian countries.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast