Like Tree192Likes

The PRC government is the best thing that has happened to China in the past 2 centuri

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

It's pretty easy to start attacking any government. Whether it's China, the US, the UK, France, Japan or almost any other leading nation. They all committed atrocities, faced corruption, trampled human rights. It's just a matter of when and how much...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    It's pretty easy to start attacking any government. Whether it's China, the US, the UK, France, Japan or almost any other leading nation.
    Yes, but the OP started off by praising one. The onus is therefore on him to explain why it's better than the others.
    Freetrader likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Murderers, rapist, and child molesters should all be executed in my book.
    Agree to this as well, thats one of the good things about China is that execution is done quite quickly after you have been convicted where as in the States, they still have people on death row (sentenced to death) for 10 + years, constantly arguing their case blah blah blah. What a waste of tax payers money.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Yes, but the OP started off by praising one. The onus is therefore on him to explain why it's better than the others.
    It's obvious that one can never defend an idiotic and childish statement such as the one the OP made since there's no frame of reference as to what might have happened otherwise.

Obviously there were serious mistakes made by the chinese government, it's pretty obvious that communism will be a footnote in history. However, China is not all bad as it is not all good. There are many positive things that have happened over the years and as I said before, at least they don't tend to interfere in other people's business as much as countries such as the US.

Personally, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and much of what I have is invested in China's future which I believe has more growth potential than western countries which may very be in decline.

Time will tell...
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Agree to this as well, thats one of the good things about China is that execution is done quite quickly after you have been convicted where as in the States, they still have people on death row (sentenced to death) for 10 + years, constantly arguing their case blah blah blah. What a waste of tax payers money.
    Sure...Who cares if innocent people are put to death right? They are all guilty! Much better to save money instead...

There's nothing barbaric at all about putting people to death like animals...

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Because history has shown of course that ALL CONVICTIONS are indeed CORRECT.

The Death Row (even at tax payer's expense) allow some executions to be reversed years after, when justice realizes a mistake has been made.

I'm happy to pay my taxes if it can save a few innocent, but originally proven guilty, people.
    Last edited by Mat; 15-07-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

There are few nations without some sort of shame in their past.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i guess this is is one of the best thing
    YouTube - BBC News - June 4, 1989, Tiananmen Square Massacre

...and this is one of America's best things - Kent State massacre.

Back in the mid 60s I knew a young Harvard undergrad who kept coming back home more and more radical. His friends were sons and daughters of rich Americans and they had friends close to the White House. When he told me that Nixon had talked openly of machine gunning down the students I told him he was nuts. Turned out that Nixon did say that very thing and despite their paranoia they were right.

How about the US troops and the My Lai massacre? They hid this for a year before it came out. Similar to the PRC and Tiananmen?

"Mÿ Lai – The Mÿ Lai Massacre was a massacre committed by US soldiers of hundreds of unarmed Vietnamese
    civilians, mostly women and children, on March 16, 1968, during the Vietnam War. It prompted widespread
    outrage around the world and reduced American support at home for the war in Vietnam. The soldiers in one
    platoon killed from 347 to 504 Vietnamese civilians – primarily old men, women, children, and babies. Some
    were tortured or raped. Dozens were herded into a ditch and executed with automatic weapons."

Last edited by Football16; 16-07-2010 at 12:16 AM.

"Iran-Contra – The Iran-Contra Affair took place during the 1980s involving several members of the Reagan administration who engaged in the sale of arms to Iran, an avowed enemy, and used proceeds from the sales to illegally fund the Contras, a right-wing guerrilla group in Nicaragua. President Reagan appeared before the American public and
    told a national television audience that the US had not sold weapons to Iran. Later he admitted it had
    . Oliver North and John Poindexter were indicted on multiple charges (March 16, 1988)."

The Savings and Loan Debacle – The Savings and Loan crisis of the 1980s was a wave of savings and loan association failures in the US in which over 1,000 savings and loan institutions failed. The ultimate
    cost of the crisis is estimated to have cost the US government about $125 billion. Fraud and insider abuse were the worst aggravating factors in the wave of S&L failures. Charles Keating’s conviction led to the ‘Keating Five’ political scandal, in which five US senators were implicated in an influence-peddling scheme to assist Keating.

Monicagate – The Monica Lewinsky scandal was a political sex scandal emerging from a hort-term sexual relationship between US President Bill Clinton and a then-22-year-old White House intern.
    The news of this extra-marital affair and the resulting investigation eventually led to the impeachment of Bill Clinton in 1998. Taxpayers ended up paying $40-million for Ken Starr’s investigation into the affair and President Clinton’s Whitewater real estate deals. (Compare that to the $15-million given to Kean-Zelikow Commission to
    investigate the 9/11 attacks which followed.
    )

Last edited by Football16; 16-07-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    There are few nations without some sort of shame in their past.

...and this is one of America's best things - Kent State massacre.
    YouTube - Vietnam; Kent State Massacre May 4, 1970

Back in the mid 60s I knew a young Harvard undergrad who kept coming back home more and more radical. His friends were sons and daughters of rich Americans and they had friends close to the White House. When he told me that Nixon had talked openly of machine gunning down the students I told him he was nuts. Turned out that Nixon did say that very thing and despite their paranoia they were right.

How about the US troops and the My Lai massacre? They hid this for a year before it came out. Similar to the PRC and Tiananmen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BsOysRpNbY
    Nice try. But,

1.) We were talking about China. 40 -60 million dead.

2.) My Lai massacre - horrible, one off event. Perhaps 100 - 400 dead Perpetrators prosecuted. No one, of course, talks about the hundreds of thousands murdered by Charlie.

3.) Kent State - National Guardsmen lose their cool, shoot a couple of rock thowing idiots. Get arrested. National Scandal.

In other words, if you are trying to equate the crimes and idiocies of the CCP to the crimes of the US government, you've got a lot of work ahead of you, especially since your examples are so pathetically weak - and serve to starkly underline the difference in the 'justice' systems of an open and a closed society.

BTW - I'm not arguing that America is perfect. No one criticizes the USA more than an American - which is why things that would be glossed over in many countries get focused on endlessly in the US. But I don't have to defend the USA - it's strengths are obvious, and if you want to start a thread to discuss its weaknesses and short comings, I will gladly participate with an open mind.

But this thread is about 'the greatest thing to happen to China in two centures': the CCP. Make your case about how great the CCP is, how wise and uncorruptable are its leaders, how all its faults are self-correcting in the absense of an opposition or a real legal system, and I will participate politely.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 16-07-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    dear giant, Boris and Gatts like this.

Perhaps you should turn to Russia or Germany or England or Japan or Canada... plenty of other choices... China and the US are far from being the only guilty ones

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast