Like Tree86Likes

China Bullet Train Derails

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yes, not even Bryant can suggest they were right to start burying the trains before removing the bodies.... Can he?
    No, and I didn't, but that never stops you from trolling does it......twat..

However, you said this:

"Rather than dragging out the tragedy they've decided to clean up the mess and carry on. "

and then said this:

"I respect there (sic) decision...bury the bloody thing and get on with it.."

Now you are saying they are wrong to get on with it so quickly, in the absence of any proper investigation or even bothering to remove the dead (and alive?) bodies from the trains......

Seems like bryant is very much out of touch with the feeling about this in China

‘Grandpa Wen’ visits crash site as criticism grows - FT.com

Spurred on by the speed of the internet and huge numbers of citizen micro-bloggers using China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo, public outrage at the official response to the crash has been growing by the day.

Even China’s tightly-controlled state media have lambasted government officials for their arrogance and incompetence and, in response to the crash, the country’s most conservative newspaper, Communist Party mouthpiece the People’s Daily, called in an editorial for an end to the country’s blind pursuit of “blood-smeared GDP”.
    Loz_2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    RTHK: Wen vows punishment for rail crash

He just doesn't get it. The problem is not the individuals, but the whole system, which he heads.
    Up North it's never the system. It's always a bad apple or a group of bad apples. Instead of insitutional reform and changing systems of corporate governance, you publically punish or execute the culprits to please the blood thirsty masses. It's primitive as the root of the problem is seldom addressed, but what else can one realistically expect. A fair trial/inquiry and a self-critical look at key issues? No chance.

I occasionally go to guangzhou by catching the train from shenzhen. It's always seemed excellent... fast (200kmh+) and reasonably priced.

Now I'm pretty scared of doing it, having seen the attitude towards safety. Anyone else thinking twice about using trains in China? But then again I don't see a safer alternative.

I'd be more worried about taking a taxi or a minibus in HK than a train up in China. Although serious accidents are rare, a cabbie with 5 phones on the dashboard or cruising down a steep hill in a red minibus at 55km/h doesn't really comfort me here either. In China, you could alwas take a bus, that could be a safe alternative....or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Seems like bryant is very much out of touch with the feeling about this in China

‘Grandpa Wen’ visits crash site as criticism grows - FT.com
    Even CCTV is mentioning micro bloggers and showed the TV statement of Premier Wen Jiabao saying that they have to react to the concerns of the people. They know public opinion is growing in importance with the internet.

Yes, the risks are higher on the roads in China and in taxis (our taxi is SZ a few weeks was driven by a car falling asleep on the freaking highway).

A rail crash is seen around the world and is not good for China - tourism or international image. These high speed rail services are marquee infrastructure for China and they want to showcase this to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    In China, you could alwas take a bus, that could be a safe alternative....or not.
    Exactly what I was thinking! Maybe i'll just walk, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Exactly what I was thinking! Maybe i'll just walk, haha.
    Bloody hell, crossing the roads is one of the most dangerous activities known to man.

China: Third World systems + First world toys + lots of people travelling = disasters.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast