Like Tree86Likes

China Bullet Train Derails

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Green trains started to be in service in the 1950's. They are not the mainstream trains any more. However, the old-style trains still have some market because poor people like the cheap fare. Actually even the green train is better than Vermonter in terms of being on time. I took Vermonter once. It stopped in the middle of nowhere several times. Much much slower than driving to NYC. But I did hear nice things about Acela Express

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    How can something be simultaneously 'slightly better than' and 'decades behind'? There is a big contradiction there. Please explain.
    Last edited by pizzalover; 31-07-2011 at 08:03 PM.

the US is a developed country.
    For long distance travel, everyone flies, full stop.
    For medium distance travel, everyone uses a car.
    I would say an irresponsible developed country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I would say an irresponsible developed country.
    So you would. Seriously, irresponsible? How? Because it is more efficient to fly than sit on a train for 25 hours? If that's your point of view, then who cares what you think?
    HongKongFoot likes this.

So you would. Seriously, irresponsible? How? Because it is more efficient to fly than sit on a train for 25 hours? If that's your point of view, then who cares what you think?
    The only reason it takes 25 hours in the USA is because the track is old and the rolling stock is old. If investment had taken place in the way it has done in Europe (or indeed China) then you would have a fast rail system that would rival flying for speed (in europe it is much faster to take a train between major cities than flying, when you take into account the time wasted getting to the airport, waiting, security etc etc) while at the same time being more efficient, comfortable and environmentally sustainable.

Saying nobody uses the train because it is crap is not an answer.

Sorry mate, forgot that environment was not part of the US vocabulary.....you prefer to drive your cars and fly as you eloquently put it.

if you had a DECENT/EFFICIENT rail system, maybe ppl would use it - ever thought of that?
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Sorry mate, forgot that environment was not part of the US vocabulary.....you prefer to drive your cars and fly as you eloquently put it.

if you had a DECENT/EFFICIENT rail system, maybe ppl would use it - ever thought of that?
    Mat, either you haven't read my posts, or you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Millions of people use US rail systems every day - I am sure more people use them in the US than in France - so what are trying to say?

If you are suggesting that people in the US should use a rail system to ride from New York to San Francisco - a distance of well over 3000 miles (sorry - 5000 kms), and a journey that would take at least three full days - then you are simply insane.

Who exactly are you suggesting should be riding the rails? And please explain your flippant accusation that Americans are somehow hostile to the environment (an accusation that is laughable coming from a Frenchman)? Maybe it would help you if you didn't come from a post-card sized country and had to deal with the tyranny of distance.

Also, considering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US, your comment about Americans hating the environment would be offensive if it didn't eloquently display your total ignorance.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

Mat will never understand the USA and travel considering France is postage stamp sized.

It takes roughly 3 to 4 days to go between both coasts by train and the price is actually more on the train than flying.

On a train you leave Monday you arrive Thursday. On a plane you leave in the AM Monday, you arrive Monday afternoon.

Yeah it really makes a whole lotta friggin sense to take the train. Sign me up for that.

Mat, either you haven't read my posts, or you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Millions of people use US rail systems every day - I am sure more people use them in the US than in France - so what are trying to say?

If you are suggesting that people in the US should use a rail system to ride from New York to San Francisco - a distance of well over 3000 miles (sorry - 5000 kms), and a journey that would take at least three full days - then you are simply insane.

Who exactly are you suggesting should be riding the rails? And please explain your flippant accusation that Americans are somehow hostile to the environment (an accusation that is laughable coming from a Frenchman)? Maybe it would help you if you didn't come from a post-card sized country and had to deal with the tyranny of distance.

Also, considering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US, your comment about Americans hating the environment would be offensive if it didn't eloquently display your total ignorance.
    Last edited by Editor; 02-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The only reason it takes 25 hours in the USA is because the track is old and the rolling stock is old. If investment had taken place in the way it has done in Europe (or indeed China) then you would have a fast rail system that would rival flying for speed (in europe it is much faster to take a train between major cities than flying, when you take into account the time wasted getting to the airport, waiting, security etc etc) while at the same time being more efficient, comfortable and environmentally sustainable.

Saying nobody uses the train because it is crap is not an answer.
    Again, Moving, just like Mat, you have either not read my posts or you don't know what you are talking about. Nothing except a Maglev would make travel from New York to Florida by rail in any way comparable to flying. And don't even talk about NY - Houston or NY - LA. Your statement that 'upgrading the track' would somehow make rails a viable alternative is simply foolish wishful thinking. Americans fly because it has a fast, deregulated, and safe airline system.

China's vaunted bullet train took twice as long as flying to get from Beijing to Shanghai - a distance of only 800 miles. It takes just as long to get to and from the trains as it does to an airport. And that is an $8 Billion bullet train. And of course, that was before it was revealed that the "amazing" Chinese govenment can't even run the things properly.

Leave your lectures to people who don't know any facts and are willing to be overawed by your sheer sanctimony.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 31-07-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

Dude, admit your train system is crap and no need to go further. I am not saying ppl don't take it, I am saying that overall riding a train (I have since part of my family is living in the US) is NOT a pleasant experience: Slow, badly maintained and late (NONE of this is related to the distance....). Riding a train in most of Europe is a relative pleasure (clean, on time)

"cconsidering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US" - yes, everything started in the US, FT; we should all bow to you great men....seriously get over it....
    MovingIn07 likes this.

It takes just as long to get to and from the trains as it does to an airport.
    Bollocks here. Most train station are in the cities not outside and most hotels you stay in for business/holidays are in the city not outside.

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast