Like Tree86Likes

China Bullet Train Derails

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast
  1. #141

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    New Haven to NYC commute train and Vermonter are abysmal. It is only slightly better than China's green trains.. decades behind China
    How can something be simultaneously 'slightly better than' and 'decades behind'? There is a big contradiction there. Please explain.

  2. #142

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,593

    FT, agree that PL post is weird but there is no denying most trains in the US are a shame (and certainly not what is to be expected from the so called most powerful country on earth).

    China is a developing country you can't compare the two.


  3. #143

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    FT, agree that PL post is weird but there is no denying most trains in the US are a shame (and certainly not what is to be expected from the so called most powerful country on earth).

    China is a developing country you can't compare the two.
    But that is exactly the point - the US is a developed country. For long distance travel, everyone flies, full stop. For medium distance travel, everyone uses a car. Most cities have pretty good public transport systems, which include trains, and although it may be true that more Americans should use trains for day-to-day commuting, many already do, and those that don't, don't want to.

    It may be worth mentioning that the US had a 'European' or Chinese style long distance train system for many years, until 30 or 40 years ago, when it was realized that no one wanted it and it was just sucking up public sector money. There's a great Arlo Gunthrie song, "The City of New Orleans" about the dying of passenger trains in the US. They aren't needed, or wanted.

    There is no need for a developed country to 'compete' with a developing country in the space of an inefficient form of long distance transport. It's a little like China starting a space program now - sure, they get to brag about possibly going to the moon, but it's been done, and it would be a waste of money to emulate.

  4. #144

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    568

    Green trains started to be in service in the 1950's. They are not the mainstream trains any more. However, the old-style trains still have some market because poor people like the cheap fare. Actually even the green train is better than Vermonter in terms of being on time. I took Vermonter once. It stopped in the middle of nowhere several times. Much much slower than driving to NYC. But I did hear nice things about Acela Express

    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    How can something be simultaneously 'slightly better than' and 'decades behind'? There is a big contradiction there. Please explain.
    Last edited by pizzalover; 31-07-2011 at 08:03 PM.

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    the US is a developed country.
    For long distance travel, everyone flies, full stop.
    For medium distance travel, everyone uses a car.
    I would say an irresponsible developed country.

  6. #146

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I would say an irresponsible developed country.
    So you would. Seriously, irresponsible? How? Because it is more efficient to fly than sit on a train for 25 hours? If that's your point of view, then who cares what you think?
    HongKongFoot likes this.

  7. #147

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    So you would. Seriously, irresponsible? How? Because it is more efficient to fly than sit on a train for 25 hours? If that's your point of view, then who cares what you think?
    The only reason it takes 25 hours in the USA is because the track is old and the rolling stock is old. If investment had taken place in the way it has done in Europe (or indeed China) then you would have a fast rail system that would rival flying for speed (in europe it is much faster to take a train between major cities than flying, when you take into account the time wasted getting to the airport, waiting, security etc etc) while at the same time being more efficient, comfortable and environmentally sustainable.

    Saying nobody uses the train because it is crap is not an answer.

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    So you would. Seriously, irresponsible? How? Because it is more efficient to fly than sit on a train for 25 hours? If that's your point of view, then who cares what you think?
    Sorry mate, forgot that environment was not part of the US vocabulary.....you prefer to drive your cars and fly as you eloquently put it.

    if you had a DECENT/EFFICIENT rail system, maybe ppl would use it - ever thought of that?
    MovingIn07 likes this.

  9. #149

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Sorry mate, forgot that environment was not part of the US vocabulary.....you prefer to drive your cars and fly as you eloquently put it.

    if you had a DECENT/EFFICIENT rail system, maybe ppl would use it - ever thought of that?
    Mat, either you haven't read my posts, or you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

    Millions of people use US rail systems every day - I am sure more people use them in the US than in France - so what are trying to say?

    If you are suggesting that people in the US should use a rail system to ride from New York to San Francisco - a distance of well over 3000 miles (sorry - 5000 kms), and a journey that would take at least three full days - then you are simply insane.

    Who exactly are you suggesting should be riding the rails? And please explain your flippant accusation that Americans are somehow hostile to the environment (an accusation that is laughable coming from a Frenchman)? Maybe it would help you if you didn't come from a post-card sized country and had to deal with the tyranny of distance.

    Also, considering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US, your comment about Americans hating the environment would be offensive if it didn't eloquently display your total ignorance.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

  10. #150

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in the US of A, home of the free...
    Posts
    862

    Mat will never understand the USA and travel considering France is postage stamp sized.

    It takes roughly 3 to 4 days to go between both coasts by train and the price is actually more on the train than flying.

    On a train you leave Monday you arrive Thursday. On a plane you leave in the AM Monday, you arrive Monday afternoon.

    Yeah it really makes a whole lotta friggin sense to take the train. Sign me up for that.



    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Mat, either you haven't read my posts, or you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

    Millions of people use US rail systems every day - I am sure more people use them in the US than in France - so what are trying to say?

    If you are suggesting that people in the US should use a rail system to ride from New York to San Francisco - a distance of well over 3000 miles (sorry - 5000 kms), and a journey that would take at least three full days - then you are simply insane.

    Who exactly are you suggesting should be riding the rails? And please explain your flippant accusation that Americans are somehow hostile to the environment (an accusation that is laughable coming from a Frenchman)? Maybe it would help you if you didn't come from a post-card sized country and had to deal with the tyranny of distance.

    Also, considering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US, your comment about Americans hating the environment would be offensive if it didn't eloquently display your total ignorance.
    Last edited by Editor; 02-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast