Like Tree86Likes

China Bullet Train Derails

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The only reason it takes 25 hours in the USA is because the track is old and the rolling stock is old. If investment had taken place in the way it has done in Europe (or indeed China) then you would have a fast rail system that would rival flying for speed (in europe it is much faster to take a train between major cities than flying, when you take into account the time wasted getting to the airport, waiting, security etc etc) while at the same time being more efficient, comfortable and environmentally sustainable.

Saying nobody uses the train because it is crap is not an answer.
    Again, Moving, just like Mat, you have either not read my posts or you don't know what you are talking about. Nothing except a Maglev would make travel from New York to Florida by rail in any way comparable to flying. And don't even talk about NY - Houston or NY - LA. Your statement that 'upgrading the track' would somehow make rails a viable alternative is simply foolish wishful thinking. Americans fly because it has a fast, deregulated, and safe airline system.

China's vaunted bullet train took twice as long as flying to get from Beijing to Shanghai - a distance of only 800 miles. It takes just as long to get to and from the trains as it does to an airport. And that is an $8 Billion bullet train. And of course, that was before it was revealed that the "amazing" Chinese govenment can't even run the things properly.

Leave your lectures to people who don't know any facts and are willing to be overawed by your sheer sanctimony.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 31-07-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Mat, either you haven't read my posts, or you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Millions of people use US rail systems every day - I am sure more people use them in the US than in France - so what are trying to say?

If you are suggesting that people in the US should use a rail system to ride from New York to San Francisco - a distance of well over 3000 miles (sorry - 5000 kms), and a journey that would take at least three full days - then you are simply insane.

Who exactly are you suggesting should be riding the rails? And please explain your flippant accusation that Americans are somehow hostile to the environment (an accusation that is laughable coming from a Frenchman)? Maybe it would help you if you didn't come from a post-card sized country and had to deal with the tyranny of distance.

Also, considering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US, your comment about Americans hating the environment would be offensive if it didn't eloquently display your total ignorance.

Dude, admit your train system is crap and no need to go further. I am not saying ppl don't take it, I am saying that overall riding a train (I have since part of my family is living in the US) is NOT a pleasant experience: Slow, badly maintained and late (NONE of this is related to the distance....). Riding a train in most of Europe is a relative pleasure (clean, on time)

"cconsidering the fact that the environmental movement essentially began in the US" - yes, everything started in the US, FT; we should all bow to you great men....seriously get over it....
    MovingIn07 likes this.

It takes just as long to get to and from the trains as it does to an airport.
    Bollocks here. Most train station are in the cities not outside and most hotels you stay in for business/holidays are in the city not outside.

Hmmmm, the Brit has gone quiet.....probably busy Photo-shopping some more bullshit photos for his favourite daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Dude, admit your train system is crap and no need to go further. I am not saying ppl don't take it, I am saying that overall riding a train (I have since part of my family is living in the US) is NOT a pleasant experience: Slow, badly maintained and late (NONE of this is related to the distance....). Riding a train in most of Europe is a relative pleasure (clean, on time)
    Again, Mat, if you had bothered to read my posts you would note that I stated that riding a long-distance train in the US is not that pleasant (unless one buys a first-class ticket) and then I explained why. You could have saved yourself a lot of effort by simply reading that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Bollocks here. Most train station are in the cities not outside and most hotels you stay in for business/holidays are in the city not outside.
    That's great if you happen to live in a city center and have a meeting in another city center serviced by a bullet train. Would be kind of a rare coincidence though for one to live within convenient access to a train station that provides a bullet train that finishes close to your intended meeting place...since fast trains only work if they only stop once or twice during the trip. Anyone who has actually conducted business would be able to tell you that only occassionally is business conducted in a city center. In the specific case of China's bullet train, however, as discussed, even that occassional advantage is lost since the Shanghai bullet train actually shares a terminus with the airport. The proposed Guanzhou bullet train ends out in the countryside 10 miles or so outside of town. Go figure.

All you have to do is admit that the USA lost a great opportunity when it failed to invest in the rail network.

In Europe (or Japan) you can walk from your office in the city centre and be at the train station in 5 or 10 minutes; then you can spend 3 hours on a train instead of a 1 hour flight (or 1+1+1+1 for transit, security/checkin, flight and transit at other end) during which you can eat a nice meal on a real table with real plates, knives, forks etc or hold a meeting across a table your colleague to discuss the upcoming meeting; or plug in a laptop, connect to the internet, talk on the phone and generally get 3 hours of useful work done without elbowing your neighbours or having a small child kick the back of your seat. All in a smooth quiet environment with no turbulence and minimal chance of delay. And then spend 5 or 10 minutes getting to the meeting at the other end.

I agree, the USA has none of this. But they COULD have had it, since they had the basic rail infrastructure and corridors at the same time as Europe, but chose not to invest. It's just a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    The Frog will never understand the USA and travel considering France is postage stamp sized.
    From my limited experience the US really does have an inefficient (not just slow and dirty) train service. I doubt anyone is suggesting a full nationwide network of high speed trains but as a minimum on the very busy eastern corridor

The above train line will be 426 miles and take 3 hours from Boston to Washington and be completed in 2040 if approved.

People sometimes suggest going to the US is like going back to the 90's but with trains it is like going back to the 1890's. Conductors still clip dollar/cent amounts from segmented value tickets.
    Last edited by East_coast; 01-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    From my limited experience the US really does have an inefficient (not just slow and dirty) train service. I doubt anyone is suggesting a full nationwide network of high speed trains but as a minimum on the very busy eastern corridor

The above train line will be 426 miles and take 3 hours from Boston to Washington and be completed in 2040 if approved.

People sometimes suggest going to the US is like going back to the 90's but with trains it is like going back to the 1890's. Conductors still clip dollar/cent amounts from segmented value tickets.
    That's correct - the US is starting to build some bullet or maglev trains in certain areas - East Coast corridor, California, parts of Texas. Regional travel is the only thing that makes sense. If it can be in a small enough (by US standards) area, then it might have a chance to compete with flying for the shorter 'long' trips. Still, there is plenty of question as to whether it is even needed, or wanted. I personally think that it is worth giving it a shot on a limited basis.

Dollars and cents clipped on tickets? For shame! I've never encountered that, but every region is different. Yes, how backward we Americans are, not spending trillions of dollars of public money on infrastracture no one really wants. How primitive.

Yes, how backward we Americans are, not spending trillions of dollars of public money on infrastructure no one really wants. How primitive.
    It does not cost trillions to have an efficient train cleaning contract in place or a 'modern' ticketing system.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast