Like Tree86Likes

China Bullet Train Derails

Closed Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
  1. #231

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Agree. Still, the NY subway is air conditioned!
    But also rat infested, prone to flooding and so noisy that it can make you deaf.

    BTW: Some trains on the Tube already have air-con, and there are plans to add more, so public money is being spend on it.

  2. #232

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in the US of A, home of the free...
    Posts
    862

    Yes its an internet forum not a spelling bee. If things get misspelled, they get corrected the next one. Multitasking has its disadvantages, who cares?


    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Coming from a guy that claimed to work for the justice department and couldn't spell homicide, I would take this lame attempt a humor lightly. I'd wager that his first thought was to write something like Seeleecawn

  3. #233

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    Obviously you don't but in certain circumstances, it does bring to light the education(or lack of) and credibility of the poster such as a guy claiming to have a high level job in the justice department that can't spell homicide...

    Morrison likes this.

  4. #234

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in the US of A, home of the free...
    Posts
    862

    The rail system was created to help maintain levels of low unemployment and increase the GDP.

    The train from Tianjin to Beijing is fast about 45 minutes to an hour, but most people would rather drive 1.5 hours than to take the train. Its never crowded, you can even get a ticket at the last minute.

    And the populace is not happy with the existing rail system, during lunar festival no one who has to take the trains are happy. Some people stand for 18+ hours because all the seats sold out.

    The trains are so crowded that one cannot even move.

    Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Sometimes I think the rail system is there to keep the populous happy and content so there is no need to revolt. And probably the reason why the government has invested heavily.

  5. #235

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,123
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    The rail system was created to help maintain levels of low unemployment and increase the GDP.

    The train from Tianjin to Beijing is fast about 45 minutes to an hour, but most people would rather drive 1.5 hours than to take the train. Its never crowded, you can even get a ticket at the last minute.

    ..........
    It is because

    a. the train from Beijing South leaves every hour or even more frequently

    b. from BJ to TJ there are many more options. e.g. from the City centre or from Beijing West, or by bus. And by car over highway is also an easy ride ( if you are a Chinese driver).

    So I feel that is an unfortunate example,

    But in general I agree to your observation. There is a lot of double or even triple infrastructure in place now. Same in Spain, deserted highways and airports,
    from what I have read.
    Last edited by Morrison; 07-08-2011 at 04:36 PM.

  6. #236

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in the US of A, home of the free...
    Posts
    862

    I just stopped caring about things like spelling when companies started paying me more for my technical knowledge than my spelling ability.

    Im not writing a thesis or a nobel prize winning novel, spelling is really irrelevant IMHO.

    Only someone such as yourself would try to pick apart someone's internet post due to a spelling error. Credibility on an internet forum? You spend way too much time online and take things on the net too seriously.


    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Obviously you don't but in certain circumstances, it does bring to light the education(or lack of) and credibility of the poster such as a guy claiming to have a high level job in the justice department that can't spell homicide...
    Last edited by HongKongFoot; 07-08-2011 at 04:42 PM.

  7. #237

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,442
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    The rail system was created to help maintain levels of low unemployment and increase the GDP.

    The train from Tianjin to Beijing is fast about 45 minutes to an hour, but most people would rather drive 1.5 hours than to take the train. Its never crowded, you can even get a ticket at the last minute.

    And the populace is not happy with the existing rail system, during lunar festival no one who has to take the trains are happy. Some people stand for 18+ hours because all the seats sold out.

    The trains are so crowded that one cannot even move.
    I didn't say it was perfect. I am sure any system that tries to transport 400 million people in 3 weeks over the new year there will be alot of problems.

  8. #238

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    With the stuff you write, I can see why you are not concerned about credibility or spelling... Most of your posts are easy enough to pick apart without bothering about spelling errors. That's just an added bonus to laugh at you...

    Football16 likes this.

  9. #239

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in the US of A, home of the free...
    Posts
    862

    The railway's lose money every year, if ticket prices were to support the true cost of business, then there would be no one on the rails.

    The maglevs in China do not pay for the electricity to run the trains. The electricity is provided free of charge by the power companies (SOE). Fuel for the military, the oil for engine oil changes are provided free of charge from the SOE's (SinoPec).

    There is no accountability with the SOE's, no one knows the true balance sheets. They have been running in the red for decades yet no one knows, no one has a clue. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

    The maglev from BJ to TJ is only about 5% filled at any given point in time. In any normal country this would not be sustainable, only China can manage it since its all run and controlled by the SOE who takes orders from the Central Govt.

    There is so much shady business deals that go on in China, you cannot even comprehend it. Unless you have lived in China and have dealt with the SOE's, and Govt officials, you wont have a clue.

    The free 50ML bottles of supposed spring water they provide on the trains are not free BTW. If you look on the ticket receipt, you will notice a small line item charge of 10RMB for a 50ML bottle of water.

    The water is supplied by one company only, they have the exclusive contract for providing bottled water for all the public transport companies in China.

    The company is owned by the wife of one of the head politoburo members.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    It is because

    a. the train from Beijing South leaves every hour or even more frequently

    b. from BJ to TJ there are many more options. e.g. from the City centre or from Beijing West, or by bus. And by car over highway is also an easy ride ( if you are a Chinese driver).

    So I feel that is an unfortunate example,

    But in general I agree to your observation. There is a lot of double or even triple infrastructure in place now. Same in Spain, deserted highways and airports,
    from what I have read.
    Freetrader likes this.

  10. #240

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in the US of A, home of the free...
    Posts
    862

    Whats even funnier is your big concern about your online cred. You kinda remind me of those wannabe thugs from the rich neighborhoods going into the ghetto talking about their street cred...


    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    With the stuff you write, I can see why you are not concerned about credibility or spelling... Most of your posts are easy enough to pick apart without bothering about spelling errors. That's just an added bonus to laugh at you...