Like Tree33Likes

China plans manned moon mission

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fairly pointless demonstration of China's wealth and power that will cost billions of dollars which could be spent on much better things.

All it does is show they are decades behind the US. Why not go somewhere else...maybe unmanned.

Loz_2 and dear giant like this.

While it's hard to disagree that the money could be better spent elsewhere, that's just not the way the world works. The US spends more with its military than the rest of the world combined and it's not because of need. It's about perception and projecting a powerful image. China is nowhere near the US yet and may never surpass it but it is certainly consolidating its position as the second most influential country in the world.

They have more US treasury bonds than everyone else combined, they now have an aircraft carrier, a dinky one but it's still better than most other nations, Europe was recently begging them hat in hand for money and they are venturing into space. That's a far cry from the China of twenty years ago... I know where I'm investing most of my money.

bryant.english and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    While it's hard to disagree that the money could be better spent elsewhere, that's just not the way the world works. The US spends more with its military than the rest of the world combined and it's not because of need. It's about perception and projecting a powerful image. China is nowhere near the US yet and may never surpass it but it is certainly consolidating its position as the second most influential country in the world.

They have more US treasury bonds than everyone else combined, they now have an aircraft carrier, a dinky one but it's still better than most other nations, Europe was recently begging them hat in hand for money and they are venturing into space. That's a far cry from the China of twenty years ago... I know where I'm investing most of my money.
    A spaceship?

All of these things are for national pride and getting people to start being inventive.
    dear giant likes this.

Sure that's one of the reasons why Kennedy pushed for it in the 60's and also to compete with the Soviet...

Whether it's worth the billions of dollars that have been invested and the lives that have been lost is certainly debatable regardless of the country spending it...

dear giant likes this.

Well maybe its time countries like the U.S. and China spent money on other things. What's the point in an expensive space program when there are huge social problems and countless people living in poverty. And look at how both countries have dealt with recent natural disasters. Frankly its quite disgraceful that they even have space programs...but as you said, its not the way the world works.

Your statement about China holding more US treasury bonds than everyone else combined is false. I guess it's easy to make compelling arguments if the truth is stretched!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...eign_ownership
    Last edited by paul9; 02-01-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    getting people to start being inventive.
    Hardly -

Aircraft Carrier ( also Fleet in general) - Soviet technology , Aerospace - Soviet technology until they con EADS to build an Airbus factory to show them how to do things properly. Automotive - thanks VW, GM etc etc etc. Space - Rockets and Capsules - Soviet technology.

I leave it to others to lead the way and show us where China is innovative or trying to be so unless it is developing something to replace a western alternative under the "China for the Chinese" initiative. - GPS, Mobile Protocols, Automotive etc etc etc.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul9:
    Your statement about China holding more US treasury bonds than everyone else combined is false. I guess it's easy to make compelling arguments if the truth is stretched!

United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes it should have read that China holds more of the US debt than any other nation. That doesn't change the argument much and the fact that Europe was recently begging China for money. As I said the US remains the most influential country on the planet and will continue to be for decades to come however in my opinion China is now in the number two seat and consolidating a little bit more as time goes by...

European attitude is often amusing... it reminds me of those "old money" folks who lost most of their wealth yet will always look down their nose at the "nouveau riche" even though they've become largely irrelevant while the others are now shaping the world... Attitude often seen in pommies

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Hardly -

Aircraft Carrier ( also Fleet in general) - Soviet technology , Aerospace - Soviet technology until they con EADS to build an Airbus factory to show them how to do things properly. Automotive - thanks VW, GM etc etc etc. Space - Rockets and Capsules - Soviet technology.

I leave it to others to lead the way and show us where China is innovative or trying to be so unless it is developing something to replace a western alternative under the "China for the Chinese" initiative. - GPS, Mobile Protocols, Automotive etc etc etc.
    No way, China develops its own technology.

China announces new HD optical format called CH-DVD - SlashGear
    dear giant likes this.

I was in China when the first mission into space was a success. It was huge in the media and China will do everything to spur on it's nationalistic tones for a strong political point scoring with the nation. With the technology available now then back in '72 it will have a huge impact across the world.

Unfortunately it will waste billions in the process...

dear giant likes this.