Like Tree117Likes

South China Sea

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Another poster came up with the defence that it is called the South China Sea and so must belong to China.
    By that logic what will you do with Irish Sea, Sea of Japan, Persian Gulf, English Channel and the biggest - Indian Ocean ?

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Let's not forget the South China Sea is probably half full of prowling submarines from a dozen nations.
    would they be saying Hi to each other while passing by - like we pass a smile at familiar face in MTR

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    It's not the same. I believe the US claims an exclusive economic zone (EEZ) according to international maritime law, which is 200 nautical miles (I think). Also, these EEZs cannot intrude on another nation's EEZ. You'll see the Chinese claim doesn't adhere to either of these principles.
    BB sure agree with you, was only reverting to Moving who seemed surprised by the size.

China's claim is stupid but we all know that will not stop them from claiming.
    dear giant likes this.

Thailand cozying up to the Chinese over the past few days, with the South China Sea issue being discussed as well.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    The leaders of China know what is best for the people of all of China. I trust the leaders of China 100% in what they are doing, they give great sacrifices by working so hard for us.
    Absolutely! China is building a country of extraordinary magnitude. Hu Jintao, Wu Bangguo, Wen Jiabao, Jia Qinglin, Zeng Qinghong and Li Changchun are magnificent leaders! They forge their spirits in the same traditions as their ancestors. They have our gratitude. Let's all give them a great big hand!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If it was a legal dispute between two individuals I think China's case would be thrown out for being frivolous. Anyway everyone knows "Britain rules the waves" so we claim the islands.
    Actually I'm surprised we never did!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    BB sure agree with you, was only reverting to Moving who seemed surprised by the size.

China's claim is stupid but we all know that will not stop them from claiming.
    But that was exactly my point. It's clearly stupid - so why on earth would a large and reasonably sensible nation make themselves look so stupid? That's what surprises me. Sure - North Korea can do this kind of stuff, we all know they are a basket case, but CHINA?????

China does not give a shit. They think, in Asia at least, that they are at the top and abuse their position in whatever way possible.

dear giant likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Actually that's a terrible negotiating strategy. What you need to do in a negotiation is ask for more than you want, but LESS than the amount that either makes you look stupid, or overtly aggressive. What happens if you ask for waaay too much is that the other side walks away and refuses to negotiate. Think about it. The last time you entered into a negotiation .... what did you do if the price was ludicrous? Did you start methodically working your way down to something sensible, or did you just go "what a joker" and walk away?

As someone who does negotiate (high value power contracts mostly) this is something I'm quite familiar with. So, I say again, I am very surprised that a country like China is this stupid.
    dear giant likes this.

No one is (at least not me) disputing this gritty and agree that this is purely negotitation skills and nothing else.

It remains ridiculous to claim that much - but as I said they don't give a shit cos for them the aim is to get as much as possible.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast