Like Tree45Likes

China Forbids International Tourism to Tibet Indefinitely

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

China Forbids International Tourism to Tibet Indefinitely

China Forbids Tibet Tourism

Lovely...not like I ever wanted to go see such a beautiful place or anything.
    drumbrake likes this.

That's really sad. I was incredibly lucky to visit Lhasa in the mid 80's and do the overland trip to Kathmandhu. Such incredible beauty both natural and man-made. And inspiring people.

bookblogger likes this.

Ive wanted to go for eons, but never found time. Anytime that I actually did want to go it would get temporary bans from the PRC. Now...this? Well, looks like I may have missed my chance unless some sort of western intervention...but I doubt that will happen.

It is very sad to think of what will most likely be happening to those people inside there, with such tight control of media and now no foreign tourism, the world will be blind to the atrocities they commit there to rid Tibet of its naysayers.

If the article's main concern is about money,
    Chinese tourists will make more than up for it. Best example is HK

Yup, just had a trip over Dragon Boat Festival in the works. Was planning on taking the train in from Xining in Qinghai. Was going to cost an arm and a leg but there were about 7 of us dead set on making it. Got word earlier this week of the "closure", pretty bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    If the article's main concern is about money,
    Chinese tourists will make more than up for it. Best example is HK
    To me it is not the money at hand, its the process of cutting them off from the world more and more until they cave in to becoming more obedient and reliant on China alone, begging for assistance from CCP. Also, any who resist will be easier dealt with if no one is around to see it.

For those who hold Hong Kong home return permits to China, did you need special permits for Tibet or were you treated like other mainlanders.

Very unfortunate. My thoughts are with the Tibetans living under oppressive Communist rule. Foreign intervention, if any, is more likely to happen in the South China Sea than in Tibet. That is, unless the Indians decides to up the pressure on China for Tibetan autonomy (which they bloody well should, those hapless water buffaloes).

dear giant and HowardCoombs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tallwithdimples:
    For those who hold Hong Kong home return permits to China, did you need special permits for Tibet or were you treated like other mainlanders.
    Special permits not needed if you have the home return permit.

I suppose China is in a tough position.

People are setting themselves on fire.
    If it gives in because people are setting themselves on fire the idea that setting yourself on fire will achieve desired results will flourish.
    Cutting tourism to Tibet will achieve two goals:
    1.) Slow reports of people setting themselves on fire
    2.) Hurt normal Tibetans by reducing their tourism income, this may make them have negative feelings toward those people setting themselves on fire.
    An entirely predictable response from Beijing IMO.

Presumably, if China leaves Tibet, they'll be happy to start dying at age 35 again on average instead of enjoying the 67 years they get now.

I know it's cool to say free Tibet and all that but.....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast