Better China AUS relations

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

To KnowItAll, what do the two red blobs under my post history mean? DLPM mentioned them as bad news. So hope you tell me what they mean.

Thumbs up Arrogance and IRAQ cost Howard dearly.

Change for the sake of change ?

One of the largest swing votes in 50 years of Australian politics, and it was all a matter of " just for the sake of it ". lol Yeah right !

Bob Hawke and Menzies were the only other PM's I can think of that had massive swings like what Rudd received. Malcom Fraser being defeated by Bob Hawke, by an even more impressive swing, for similar reasons that Howard created.

Arrogance cost the liberal party the election, IRAQ partly cost howard this election, most Australians still felt bitter that their leader went against what most people wished, and that was to butt right out of "America's " affairs, especially when it contravined the UN.

Howard is also the first PM in Australian history, to lose his own electoral seat... Pathetic and a real stake in the heart, of what people really thought, because he was too arrogant to notice, nor did he have an interest in what younger people thought in his electorate, as the demographic had changed, but he hadnt..

Industrial relations policy is what ended up sinking the liberal party most, as it took food off the average Australians plate, and increased unpaid overtime hours at the expense of family life. Under the existing IR laws, 30% of the work force on average are working 6 days a week and 50 hours, with no extra pay when working weekends etc.

No point boasting a fantastic economy when most families are finding it harder to balance the cheque book, working even longer hours, for less pay, and at the sacrifice of a happy family life.

Anyway, I am very happy that Rudd is in power, and look forward to an even better future under his leadership, thankfully, Costello didnt get into power, what a characterless prick he would have been. When you consider the alternative, Rudd runs rings around Costello in any popularity pole, even his own party hates his guts lol

Jeff Kennet ( LIB and ex Victorian Premier ) gave Costello a very big thumbs down over the last 2 days, Kennet being one of the few Libs I respect the opinion of and admire.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-11-2007 at 12:43 PM.

I think that some of the reason was definitely because of voter apathy and looking for a change. Australia has a tradition of giving the other guy a go and there was some of this in the polls.

I agree with most of the other things also, except the following was surprising:

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Under the existing IR laws, 30% of the work force on average are working 6 days a week and 50 hours, with no extra pay when working weekends etc.
    I haven't heard this statistic before. Can you let me know where this is from?

http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/Pubs/R...0/2000rn27.htm

One of many non biased statistical accounts.

Who could forget this video, Rudd kicking the boots into Howards anti Obama comments, not so long ago.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e7bhsziwJ4"]YouTube - Kevin Rudd attacks Aussie Prime Minister John Howard over Ob[/ame]

http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/Pubs/R...0/2000rn27.htm

One of many non biased statistical accounts.
    Makes for interesting reading, but the figures are from 1999. Howards IR changes came in long after that. So, after a bit of searching on the ABS (they have some great numbers there, you just need to work in Excel with about 200 columns) I have found that it has dropped (if you can call it that) to 30% since May 2005 to now. So the argument is pretty much still valid, although the statistics don't show what is paid or unpaid.

But the average hours worked has gone from about 35 hours a week, to 34 hours. Of course, statistics can be used to promote causes for both sides of most arguments, and the ABS has no shortage of statistics.

Extract from ABS
    6202.0 - Labour Force, Australia, Oct 2007
    Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 08/11/2007:
    "UNEMPLOYMENT RATE
    The trend unemployment rate generally fell from 8.1% in October 1997 to 6.0% in September 2000. After rising to 7.0% in October 2001, the trend has generally fallen to stand at 4.3% in October 2007. "

Whatever happens in the coming years in Australia, you can be guaranteed that there will be a lot of fingerpointing from both sides.

\Yes, I am a little geeky when it comes to numbers.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Ruddy Hell!

Now I know what prompted people here to vote for Lui Kewen [besides the free dim sum coupons]. It was this dashing poster of him on Cameron Rd

http://www.chinalyst.net/node/25948

Howard is also the first PM in Australian history, to lose his own electoral seat...
    I'm pretty sure Stanley Bruce beat him to that claim.

I'm happy to see the end of Howard. I was hoping for Mark Latham as PM the last time round - more entertaining. I guess Rudd is the Labor leader we had to have. Costello has demonstrated once again that he is a low-altitude flyer. I wonder if the Liberals will be able to pull it together in time for the next election.

Mr Scott, in view of Howards defeat and their current shambles party, I was thinking the same thing. Costello quit the position of shadow pm, whats left really doesnt seem worthy, well, not unless LIB Jeff Kennet runs for the top job. I agree with you about Mr Latham also.

I'd say we will see Kevin in for atleast 2 terms, and possibly Peter Garrett taking over from the Rudster during the 3rd, allowing a fresh face to take over from there. Which is what John Howard should have done, well before he called for an election. Howard just didnt have a hope, but then again, Costello had an even less likely chance of winning, you you can see that they really were in bad shape against Labor. Labor ran a flawless campaign this time, and chose the right people to take as many seats as they did. Maxine taking Howards seat was a pretty good kick in the kahuna's, too.

Hard to say what Labors long term plan is, but it's my long shot prophecy, that we will see PG as PM, eventually. .

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-11-2007 at 01:44 AM.

A back ground story about Mr Howard, and a brief summary of where he went wrong, basically covers what we have already mentioned here. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...000117,00.html

And yes Mr Scott, I stand corrected, the late Stanley Bruce, previously member for Flinders, lost his seat in 1929. Apparently he did win his seat back 2 years later, but like Howard, tried to meddle with work place reform policies and got punished, the times have changed, but the reaction hasnt.