Like Tree238Likes

China vs Japan on islands now

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

I tend to agree with East here. Alot of the reports in the media is fuelling the hate and it's disguised as nationalism. These reports can be squashed quickly by the Central Govt but not. The protests can be broken up quickly but not and then reported widely. There are dozens of period TV dramas about Japan/China war and about 2-5 major films a year about the Japanese occupation.

You would be amazed at the comments from the locals here and there are dozens of reports daily about the protests. They are all talking about soon there is going to be a war with Japan and the whole 1.3 billion will be behind the Govt as they are already brainwashed with the constant media reports and all looking for blood.

There is no real debate about the islands, only one sided vitriol of Japan is the bad aggressor and stealing our islands.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    How many countries China has problem with for Territory ?
    For all of China's talk of peace and mutual respect and understanding, isn't it odd China does not really have any ally except maybe for North Korea.
    dear giant and punchdrunk like this.

and Zimbabwe.

I now hate Japan from today. They totally added an hour onto my trip today due to road closures in Hangzhou due to two big protests in the city today.

The Japanese should have more respect to my travel plans.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You forgot Russia, Pakistan & Butan
    Which neighbor is left out of the list means with whom they don't have problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I now hate Japan from today. They totally added an hour onto my trip today due to road closures in Hangzhou due to two big protests in the city today.

The Japanese should have more respect to my travel plans.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile
    I saw some pics in Standard / Internet few weeks back. People in Shenzhen were attacking Japanese cars owned by Chinese people.
    What is the meaning of causing damage local people's property ??
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    You are no doubt joking again as you noted that on another thread you didn't mean what you were saying but trying to get a rise. The irony is that some like this post - I assume likes is to agree with this.

The Chinese gov't fear the people. They fear uprisings as with their numbers and they would not be able to control mayhem and revolts. Seeing how easy it is to whoop up the people into a frenzy is no doubt why - that and the history of China.

The downside to being open with people is that they cannot balance the issues and come to a reasonable conclusion - that and the concept of face.

These islands have some history to Chinese - I get that - so Chinese want them back. Japan was brutal to China and Hong Kong in WW2 so that is never far from their thinking. No doubt some territorial water issues come in here for China as they need to lock up as much offshore resources they can for their population.
    No I'm not joking. You are naive. You mentioned "The Chinese Government fear the people" and that is exactly why they are letting this happen. If the people focus their rage on anti-Japan sentiment they will not be focused on the corruption of the Chinese government. People will have the illusion of freedom. The Goverment is fearful only if 1.3 billion people rise up at once and that will never happen. The Government has effective control of the media so those uprisings in small provinces won't make the news in other provinces and big cities.

The Chinese may have traditionally controlled the Islands, but they have not disputed the sovereignty of the Islands since 1898. The only time they became interested is when they found out about a possible wealth of resources. China has disputes with everyone over territory.
    Last edited by punchdrunk; 17-09-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    I saw some pics in Standard / Internet few weeks back. People in Shenzhen were attacking Japanese cars owned by Chinese people.
    What is the meaning of causing damage local people's property ??
    No meaning, just outrage and more to do with stupidity and lack of education (or more to do with what is actually been told to them through the media and Govt)....there were incidents only recently back in 2010 but seems more intense this time.

I have seen these campaigns a number of times in the last 10 years throughout China but as I said it's a bit more intense this time. China has grown into a superpower and uses the masses to get support from the people for national sanctioned agendas like this one.

The PRC are masters of this frenzy whipping agenda. It helps keep the population engaged in nationalism and pursuits of the Govt, keeps them focused on other issues and a good time at the moment when the balance of powers are involved in political turmoil due to the transition later this year.
    Last edited by virago; 17-09-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    No meaning, just outrage and more to do with stupidity and lack of education (or more to do with what is actually been told to them through the media and Govt)...
    Careful, BJIT...err, I mean HKITperson will be along shortly to denounce you for calling violent protesters uneducated, uncouth and uncool. "The nerve!!! How dare you!!!"
    Gatts, virago and dear giant like this.

Apart from a lone protester burning the Japanese flag, rallies in Hong Kong have so far remained peaceful and orderly, not a single Japanese product or shop has been destroyed or vandalised. Clearly we are not patriotic enough.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 17-09-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    bookblogger and dear giant like this.

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast