Olympics.. opportunity to demonize China...?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Olympics.. opportunity to demonize China...?

So apparently Spielberg and Mia Farrow is using the Olympics to condemn China's involvement in the Darfur crisis, while a Brit prince (forget which one) is bringing attn to the Tibet issue. I think the Olympics is going to turn into a 'china-bashing' circus by the west... so unfortunate... Honestly I'm so tired of celebs who are so far removed from reality and don't even LIVE in the same world the rest of us live in to even comment on the state of the world today...! Ridiculous...

What do you guys think?

Well I believe that there is freedom of speech and people are allowed to have their own opinion on these things. It's up to them. It's up to others how they interpret what has been said and whether they choose to agree, disagree or ignore.

I just don't understand why Spielberg accepted the role as artistic advisor for the Beijing Olympics in the first place.
    He did not really believe he could change China's politics within a year by using his role as advisor to the opening ceremony?
    When he was appointed, he could have listed down his conditions right away if he was really so concerned.

So, would that mean you are in favor of China in Darfur and Tibet? Or you just don't like celebrities voicing what amounts to your opinion simply because they are celebrities and, therefore, can?
    The awarding of the Olympics to China seems to have been pure politics anyway so this is just the price to be paid.
    Even athletes are starting to speak out (about the pollution), so I am sure there will be plenty more to come.

so is the US going to have their athletics sign a no-political-comment declaration to be selected and sent to BJ, just like UK ?

If you read the news now it says that the BOA have withdrawn the form and are back-pedalling.

Linky, linky

Last edited by Lammarite; 13-02-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    so is the US going to have their athletics sign a no-political-comment declaration to be selected and sent to BJ, just like UK ?
    I think that if the United states of Aggression were to do such a thing links between their human rights record and Guantanamo Bay amongst others would be brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk:
    I just don't understand why Spielberg accepted the role as artistic advisor for the Beijing Olympics in the first place.
    He did not really believe he could change China's politics within a year by using his role as advisor to the opening ceremony?
    When he was appointed, he could have listed down his conditions right away if he was really so concerned.
    Well its all academic now as he's just resigned from this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    So, would that mean you are in favor of China in Darfur and Tibet? Or you just don't like celebrities voicing what amounts to your opinion simply because they are celebrities and, therefore, can?
    The awarding of the Olympics to China seems to have been pure politics anyway so this is just the price to be paid.
    Even athletes are starting to speak out (about the pollution), so I am sure there will be plenty more to come.
    More about celebs taking on the U.S.-save-the-world mentality trying to be the righteous "hero" to all...

Clarify but I don't think China is actually 'IN' Darfur - just that it's not fully supporting UN initiatives... and as for China "in" Tibet... isn't Tibet part of China? It's like saying the United States is "in" Nevada... Is Tibet a country that China is brutally taking over? By not agreeing with everything fed by the western world... China is the ultimate evil? As that is literally the tone of many articles that are out there: Prince Charles knocks China for British sport - Telegraph

The article calls China one of the must "brutal regimes on the planet" - c'mon gimme a break. China has always been dominated by foreign regimes - carved to pieces and handed over to the western world in the late 1800's then taken over by Japan. Talk about brutality and dominance...

It's very much a double standard out there it seems. Nuclear weaponary should be controlled and inspected via a microscope in all non-western countries as they are considered a "threat" because it's in 'unstable/barbaric' hands... but it's ok for the U.S. to stock up as much as possible..? It's just very one-sided... the longer I'm in Asia, the more I notice the spin...it's a joke..

why is awarding the olympics to china pure politics again? sorry I haven't been caught up to speed on that scandal...

Last edited by goleoboy; 13-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast