Olympic boycott threats

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Before you guys jump on me, I think communism is the worst form of evil there is. However, maybe in this Tibet situation there are 2 sides to the story.

Watch the video towards the 20 min mark:

Don't watch it if you're offended by strong opinions & language!

[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=572_1199143270"]LiveLeak.com - Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Holier Than Thou[/ame]

Last edited by KnowItAll; 20-03-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: fixed embedding - warning .. don't watch the video if you're easily offended

there are two things that are absolutes in life:

1. NOTHING is ever what it seems.

2. There are always 2 (or more) sides to every story.

I think both apply to Tibet.

Olympic Boycott is standard routine prior to all Olympic Games. USA did in it the late 70s, refused to play ball. Olympics were supposed to be sports, but now its all politics. Even the athletes are professionals, basketball and hockey come to mind, and all athletes are trained and paid by governments. Too bad this protest has to spoil China's opportunity to entertain the world. I wonder how many athletes will be captured, killed or terrorized this time.

Tibet is ethnically, linguistically and culturally different to the Han Chinese. Before 1200AD, Tibet was an independent country for hundreds of years. At one point they even invaded China and the capital at that time Xian.
    The Chinese government have oppressed the Tibetan people denying them their culture, religion and language. They are trying to dilute the Tibetan way of life by mass emigration of the Han Chinese (offering them economic benefits by moving to Tibet). The Chinese authorities even shoot and kill Tibetans, who over the years have tried to flee Tibet and visit their spiritual leader. As previous apartheid systems and suppression of different ethnicities has proven, time and time again throughout history, people will eventually stand up and rightfully rebel against this inequality.
    The latest riots started after peaceful hunger strikes by Buddhist monks. The monks were assaulted by Chinese police/army. This inevitably led to rioting as violence unfortunately breeds further violence!
    It is unbelievable the tyrannical Chinese government can even dare blame the Dalai Lama for the recent violence.
    It is not difficult for an educated person to make an informed decision on whom to trust - a Nobel peace prize winner who preaches Holy, Spiritual and non-violent values or a government who has historically proven to have no respect for Human rights and often uses torture and violence!

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus:
    It is not difficult for an educated person to make an informed decision on whom to trust - a Nobel peace prize winner who preaches Holy, Spiritual and non-violent values or a government who has historically proven to have no respect for Human rights and often uses torture and violence!
    Al Gore's wife says the same thing about the 2000 US presidential elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Great posts Sleuth and Jay Kay.

... blah blah blah ...
    If you build cars today, with the amount of crash safety data thats been recorded over the last 3 decades, you'd have thought the Chinese would have used some of that known data and either utilised it into their own design, or copied somebody elses proven design, like a 1980's W124 Mercedes E class under the skin design, and packaged it as their own. Either way the crash test result would have been within acceptable tolerances, unlike the disaster this crash test revealed.

China manufacturing is the epitome of the Pelicans of Monteray Cliche.
    If anybody else is familiar with that saying, you'll know what I mean.
    I am a big Mercedes fan, but even they get it wrong sometimes. I am not sure it we are comparing "apples with apples", but the A-pillar in 1995-97 Mercedes Benz E-Class CAN bend....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2N0gce0-k]YouTube - IIHS Crash test Mercedes E Class[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    I am a big Mercedes fan, but even they get it wrong sometimes. I am not sure it we are comparing "apples with apples", but the A-pillar in 1995-97 Mercedes Benz E-Class CAN bend....

YouTube - IIHS Crash test Mercedes E Class
    All the crash data related to that particular crash test, as per the Insurance Insitute of Highway Safety listed below.
    IIHS-HLDI: Mercedes E class

The occupant would have survived this 40mph crash test, and considering that the roof didnt fold in onto the front occupants like the Chinese car did, further adding to front occupant trauma, the only area of failure mentioned, is that the drivers door opened during later part of the impact, thus increasing the "chance" of partial or full passenger ejection. Which didnt occur in this scenario.

Peking Games = Puppet Show?

... or like Prince Charles said about the Chicomms: "Appalling old wax works".

how would you react if...?

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus:
    The Chinese government have oppressed the Tibetan people denying them their culture, religion and language. They are trying to dilute the Tibetan way of life by mass emigration of the Han Chinese (offering them economic benefits by moving to Tibet). The Chinese authorities even shoot and kill Tibetans, who over the years have tried to flee Tibet and visit their spiritual leader. As previous apartheid systems and suppression of different ethnicities has proven, time and time again throughout history, people will eventually stand up and rightfully rebel against this inequality.
    The latest riots started after peaceful hunger strikes by Buddhist monks.
    I dun have any comment on to boycott the Olympic in Beijing or not.
    But its a big shame for China govt. how they treat to Tibetans for years. The way they treat Tibetans is worse than killing them. So I agree with "The latest riots started after peaceful hunger strikes by Buddhist monks."
    I dunno why people just look at what happened recently in Tibet. If they look at the history, there is no way to support Chinese govt. This issue is not a matter between Westerns and China. This is a matter of humanity.
    I want to ask Chinese people or everyone that if any other or your own government treats you or your people just like Chinese government treats Tibetans for years, how would you react?