End of Olympics?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

End of Olympics?

Taken from AP News -- Hooligans grabbed at the Olympic torch, blocked its path and tried to snuff out its flame Sunday in raucous protests of China's human rights record that forced a string of last-second changes to a chaotic relay through London.

My comments: Is this the end of the Olympics? I know Brits hate the Chinese, but is the best way to show it to the world? And why did they attack a woman carrying the torch? I think the Brits have some explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCo:
    Taken from AP News -- Hooligans grabbed at the Olympic torch, blocked its path and tried to snuff out its flame Sunday in raucous protests of China's human rights record that forced a string of last-second changes to a chaotic relay through London.

My comments: Is this the end of the Olympics? I know Brits hate the Chinese, but is the best way to show it to the world? And why did they attack a woman carrying the torch? I think the Brits have some explaining to do.
    What a stupid post. You know Brits hate the Chinese? How? All of them? A relatively small number of protesters (not all Brits I think) made their point as would be expected. No explanations required.

This has to be a joke post right? Brits hate the Chinese? Brits have some explaining to? What a crock of shite!

This was a democratic protest by "some" people against what has happened in Tibet, not just recently, but over a period of time. Some of those protesters were the same who were at the torch lighting ceremony in Greece. They will also be in Paris today and the same thing will happen. Reporters without Borders are just one of the participants as are many other international groups. What that has to do with the Brits is beyond me.

I know Brits hate the Chinese, but is the best way to show it to the world?
    I think the inflammatory racist tone of Perryco's post, is an insult to the expat community of Hong Kong.

It's quiet sad to experience, that people like Perryco, do exist out there in the dark lonely shadows of the community, harbouring such xenophobic contempt toward the expat community.

I think its high time we stood up to this type of crap, because the moment one of us uses an off the cuff remark against another race of people, we get the book thrown at us.

Why should we have to witness assholes like Perryco's extremely RACIST pilgrimage on this expat forum ?

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read. I am now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

I think the inflammatory racist tone of Perryco's post, is an insult to the expat community of Hong Kong.
    PerryCo is an equal opportunity basher. He does nto like americans, europeans who drink beer and the list goes on....

Good entertainment though. And in some ways, there is some truth to what he / she says, when you remove all the politically correct indignaton that might be the first reaction of many.

All he had to do was perhaps rephrase it to .. "I know some brits hate chinese" ... or "A number of brits hate foreigners" or "A percentage of the population cannot deal with Asians" ...

Now who can tell me thats not true.

(Needless to say I dont' agree with the title or the conclusions... just wondering why there is so much indignation and surprise. I for one am not surprised at all that there were protests that went out of hand or took a racial turn.)

I know Brits hate the Chinese, but is the best way to show it to the world? And why did they attack a woman carrying the torch? I think the Brits have some explaining to do.
    How dare you spew that arrogant disregard for truth. If you wish to denigrate then take your bile elsewhere.

My wife is Chinese and there are many Brits here in similar relationships and who, if not, have a healthy regard for cultures other than their own. If you care to look at the AP shots of the event you will see that arrests where made from people of Asian origin and in one case a Buddhist monk. Sure there where Gweilo involved and maybe some got charged. Tibet is of global concern and brings on strong emotion, but the use of the word HATE and trying to blame BRITS is outrageous.

How many Chinese hating Brits where arrested in Lhassa ?
    Last edited by Boris; 07-04-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Thank you shri for your support. It was posted under Opinions & Humor, but many failed to see the humor. I don;t hate the Brits, and I love the Olympics, but fail to see why it is so political. Every country in the world has something bad about it, so why attack China? Too many people on Expat have very-thin skin.

All I'm doing is saying, that there are a lot of ways to read into something, like there are a lot of ways of putting a point across.

Should not be mistaken for support.

>> arrests where made from people of Asian origin and in one case
    >> a Buddhist monk

Cant they be brits and racist too?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast