Chinese "Thugs" protecting the olympics torch...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

How come no streakers?

Before the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, a student pretending to be an Olympic athlete and carrying a torch made out of a burning pair of underpants inside a can on the end of a chair leg presented it to the mayor of Sydney and fled before anyone realised he was an imposter. The hoax was to protest against the "reverence" towards the flame despite its Nazi origins.

Ten burning questions about the Olympic torch | World news | The Guardian

in the U.S. right now and the torch coverage is top news - since it's coming to SF. and of course, the spin is how horrible china is and they don't deserve the olympics. honestly , it's kinda sad that such a positive event is being marred because of the political agenda of a few. i remember i used to love watching the olympics as a child, but honestly have no desire to watch coverage this year as it's just gonna be a year long china-bashing ordeal... whatever...

goleo : you must have been a child much before me .... I seem to recall the US boycotting the Russian Olympics.

Personally I'd be happier if they stopped pretending that anyone gave a rats arse about the sport and glory to the country and it was all about Visa and Nike and Coca Cola. Their agencies make far better commercials and seem to have better PR people working for them.

hahah r u saying i'm O.L.D.??? :-)) i kinda remember that boycott... but yea was a while ago.

btw, how come the chinese guys protecting the flame are called "thugs" but the protesters who attack torch bearing athletes aren't called "thugs"? oh, forgot - double standard...

hmmm...wonder where the dalai lama is right now... having coffee with oprah or golf with richard gere perhaps...?

Well, yes, there is a double standard for sure. After all, it was an old british guy who has been knighted.

BUT .... did you see their photos? PLA guys for sure.

I knew my title was not far off ...

Less than a year ago these mysterious “men in blue” were elite students from China’s Armed Police Academy and were selected amid great fanfare to form the grandly titled Sacred Flame Protection Unit.
    Unmasked: Chinese guardians of Olympic torch - Times Online

You have to wonder what you would do if you were rushed by an unwashed hippy protesting about somewhere he has never been and never will. I reckon it be giving boots to the nuts too and wouldn't really care if I was seen as a thug or not.

Well, matter of who was doing the kicking ...

Would you, if you were a french hippie rather be kicked by a Sacred Flame Protector or a surrender primate on designer roller skates?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Well, yes, there is a double standard for sure. After all, it was an old british guy who has been knighted.
    ACTUALLY --- Its a British Olympic Medal and World Record Holding Hero. Knighted once but is now in fact a Lord and head of the 2012 Olympic " machine ". Also a prime reason that London won the bid. He has a HUGE standing and reputation in the international Olympic movement and sport as a whole.

On the other hand, and you might appreciate this, THUG is a derivation of the word Thugie ( sorry if spelt wrong ) which as you will know is Indian. So we should blame it all on the Indians ??

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Did you know?
    No I didn't, but now thanks to this handy dandy guide I can be the belle of the bore.

Olympic Games Torch Relay 1936 Berlin

Thug by Mike Dash the definitive work on thuggish behaviour by the hindoos.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast