China sends in the clowns

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

PATRIOTISM:
    Didn't Bernard Shaw once say patriotism is a person thinking their country is better than another's simply because he/she was born/originates from there.

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    by the way it is NOT ACCEPTABLE for americans to publicly burn the American flag... !! Are you nuts?! You'll get arrested right then and there!!
    Er, wrong. Burning the US flag is protected as an act of free speech under the First Amendment. This was last reaffirmed by the US Supreme Court in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).

Hm... more exclamation-marked knee-jerk reactions in defence of the PRC (by one-party rule).

Like I've mentioned elsewhere - Criticism of one's government and SOME of its policies is NOT equivalent to "damning" its people, whole culture or race.

While living and working in the West, I could "bash" Bush and Blair (and now even, G. Brown) if I wished, and others also felt free to do so because we're expressing our views of SOME of their administration's / cabinet's POLICIES; especially the badly thought-out and poorly executed ones.

But, er... starting to repeat myself... so, better SHUT my trap here; 'else be dismissed again as "traitor". (Note: no ill-intent.)

Maybe let 'em have "the last word" ...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, wrong. Burning the US flag is protected as an act of free speech under the First Amendment. This was last reaffirmed by the US Supreme Court in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).
    Thanks PDLM, I didn't have time to respond to that one yet.

The fact that every nation has problems ranging from inequality to other socio-political issues is no secret. US is not perfect and has plenty of historical and modern dirt and blood on their hands (Native American displacement, slavery, internment camps, wars, etc., etc.) However, the problems that many nations face are not at the heart of this issue. What is at the issue is the denial of basic human rights.

Let me start off by saying that I do not hold a view of the current Olympic protesters. I think that the Tibet issue in particular is misunderstood in the West and has been skewed in large part by Western media (which is first and foremost a business made to generate profits based on ratings and popular stories). I also have found it disturbing when the Paralympics athlete (the girl in the wheelchair) was attacked by an angry mob. Additionally, as a former athlete I find it sad that the certain movements are calling for boycott of the games. These people have no knowledge of the hard training, personal sacrifice and dedication that these men/women go through each quadrennium in order to test themselves against those at the pinnacle of their respective sports.

Having said that, what I do believe in is that the protesters and boycotters have the right to their opinions and more importantly have a right to express them (peacefully) without the fear of retaliation. I do not agree with the Chinese PLA “brut squad” sent all over the world, nor do I agree with their recent “sudden” discriminatory and retaliatory immigration policies. Also, although I think the comments made by Jack Cafferty of CNN were stupid, I find it quite ironic that people who are protesting in the streets of China against him and CNN have never been allowed to watch it, or have access to any unfiltered media. China thought that they will be able to host a global event and yet be able to apply their “filters” and bully the world into painting a perfect rosy storybook image of their country??? Well guess what…..Tough Sh*t! This current situation simply proves the point that economic might does not equal geo-political maturity. China had a chance to show to the world that through it’s newly found wealth and power it will focus more energy of improving human rights (hell forget Tibet let’s just focus on simple things like Child slavery), through implementing policies similar to Glasnost and Perestroika under Gorbachev in USSR. Yet, instead of showing restraint China turned off the cameras and used unmeasured force to bring down the protesting monks, while sealing off its own borders. Brilliant!

I believe in a borderless world…one without nationalistic identities…one where just saying I am a citizen of the earth would be sufficient (unfortunately we are a long way from that, we treat people differently based on the color of their skin and hate each other over what “God” fairy tale they chose to believe). I disagree with many of the policies of the US government and think that many things are wrong with my home country. Thus, I would not be willing to fight and die for it (especially when it’s run by the likes in the current administration). Looks like that doesn’t make me a patriot. However, what I will fight and if necessary die for is an idea of freedom and a way of life of a free person. I will always fight those who stand in a way of my freedoms (both foreign and domestic). As one wise American once said, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

So, although I will not be joining PDLM in waiving Tibetan flag this Friday, I will support him for exercising his right to do it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4