Olympics Torch Relay - Best Place to Watch?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I've just been outside to scout a vantage point to watch

... it's IMPOSSIBLE. Even in the lobby of our building (Lippo Centre) the huge windows facing Queensway have bigs signs on saying "repair work in progress" and large barricades that keep you about 3m from the window (ie impossible tolook down onto the street). They were not under repair yesterday and I bet they won't be tomorrow!!!!

Outside there are police everywhere; any side walk, bridge or pavement you might be able to get a view from has barricades and/or notices saying it will be closed this afternoon..

THIS IS PATHETIC.

How can we protest against this idiocy and prevention of free speech, free movement or even free fun - which is happening HERE, not some remote land that I don't care much about!

Actually a lot better read I suspect and educated that you will ever be ,with respect -esp if you were educated here...
    We had a National Sorry Day in Australia our new PM apologised publically and is seeking to redress grievances and crimes against our aboriginal population- which you can look up at your leisure- but I suspect you are happier to sit with your preconceived opinions- heaven forbid you let the light of reasoned debate into your consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Miss P:
    Actually a lot better read I suspect and educated that you will ever be ,with respect -esp if you were educated here...
    BA(hons)(Cantab) - you?
    heaven forbid you let the light of reasoned debate into your consciousness
    I would be happy to debate with you. So far, despite repeated requests, you have declined to give us any indication of the protest you wish to make, so it's rather hard for me to debate it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    ... it's IMPOSSIBLE. Even in the lobby of our building (Lippo Centre) the huge windows facing Queensway have bigs signs on saying "repair work in progress" and large barricades that keep you about 3m from the window (ie impossible tolook down onto the street). They were not under repair yesterday and I bet they won't be tomorrow!!!!

Outside there are police everywhere; any side walk, bridge or pavement you might be able to get a view from has barricades and/or notices saying it will be closed this afternoon..

THIS IS PATHETIC.

How can we protest against this idiocy and prevention of free speech, free movement or even free fun - which is happening HERE, not some remote land that I don't care much about!
    Were you here during the WTO? Took me over an hour to walk to Wan Chai for a drink - where do all the police come from for these events?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Easy - simply notify the police in good time of your intention to hold a procession or meeting and, if necessary, the roads will be closed for you.

This happens very regularly in this town. For example, there was a very big gathering of Trades Unionists and others yesterday followed by a march to the Government Headquarters. You can read about it and see pictures here.

I very frequently observe smaller protest marches starting from the square outside the Government offices in Wanchai.

It really isn't hard to protest peacefully about anything in this town.

'THIS IS PATHETIC.

How can we protest against this idiocy and prevention of free speech, free movement or even free fun - which is happening HERE'
    My point exactly- however , not many here are too worried really
    and history has proved that ignoring and tolerating what happens in these' remote countries'means it will one day happen closer to home....

We had a National Sorry Day in Australia our new PM apologised publically and is seeking to redress grievances and crimes against our aboriginal population- which you can look up at your leisure- but I suspect you are happier to sit with your preconceived opinions- heaven forbid you let the light of reasoned debate into your consciousness
    Well I've read through the entire thread and can't find your reasoned debate. There just seems to be an assumption that everyone (sensible) automatically agrees with you.

BSc (Econ), MSc, CMCIPD (is this compulsory now?)

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

There is a rumour, unfounded at present that several thousand PLA troops have been co-opted into the HKP for the relay.
    This would explain the rather splendid convoy and motorcycle formations.

Any idea why the boys in blue are sporting black gloves? It's too muggy out there to even have a baseball cap on.

KK - I think the reserves are large enough that they don't need to bring the PLA out.

'would be happy to debate with you. So far, despite repeated requests, you have declined to give us any indication of the protest you wish to make, so it's rather hard for me to debate it with you.'[/QUOTE]
    'Free Tibet' .Clear enough?
    OK- B.ED Uni of Canberra Australia ,where you get a real education and enjoy privileges of freedom and openmindedness undreamt of here..
    English Lit ,History and Ed Psych.
    It tends to produce a pretty clear world view.Not a lot of carping and reactionary stuff survives that kind of consciousness raising.
    Sorry I honestly don't recognise the acronym (cancer on the English language )CAN what?and the Science graduate likewise -no accreditation/listing of quals is not compulsory - how hilariously HK! -its like the bumpf on the websites for local school =% of teachers with PHDs solemnly and touchingly produced as evidence of 'good teaching practises'

Last edited by Miss P; 02-05-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast