Olympics Torch Relay - Best Place to Watch?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Olympics Torch Relay - Best Place to Watch?

Does anyone have some brilliant ideas on what would be a good place to take the young son to watch the Torch relay without getting mobbed by hippies and the pro-tibet mafia?

I would be interested in knowing where a good vantage point would be also, as i'd like to take my 10 year old Chinese nephew along to see it too. I am thinking that the Tsing Ma bridge leg might be a good spot, but not sure what the story is regarding where spectator points will be located, if any along the bridge itself.

I might be on the Tsingma bridge....but hopefully not! Will try to skive off that! I'm not sure if the public will be allowed on the bridge. If the public is allowed, think, that'll be a nice spot.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The route is open for change on the day. So pick some place which it can hardly avoid.

Otherwise, perhaps one of the walkways over Queensway. You could would have a view of the procession as it comes down the road.

Here is the route.
    Torch Relay route

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    ... I am thinking that the Tsing Ma bridge leg might be a good spot, but not sure what the story is regarding where spectator points will be located, if any along the bridge itself.
    It's supposed to be stopping briefly at the Lookout Spot between the two bridges.

Thank You Claire bear, I will find out where those look outs are located, and if they are accessed by car or taxi etc.

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-04-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Skyhook, it's the Lantau Link View Point and Visitors' Centre. I think you'll need to take a taxi from Tsing Yi. Some parking for cars available. I also think you might need binoculars...

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 28-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Better Red Then Dead

The police in an effort to have the second best behaved OT crowd, will move heaven and earth to ensure the NOTHING will disrupt the OT relay.
    Any vantage point would therefore have to be closed. If you can see the torch you can grab the torch.
    I plan to put on my red t shirt and wave my hand drawn Tibet flag when the OT passes, on my tv.

I think Shatin is going to be our best location for us to see the Olympic Torch relay at 1:20pm. Parking is also pretty easy at Ikea, and its only a short walk from the Rowing centre.

The Tsing Ma bridge looks like its going to be the least viable from a spectator point of view, but I'll bring the 3 ft aluminium step ladder along for the young bloke, so he can see above the expected crowds.

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-04-2008 at 07:21 PM.

I work in Lippo Centre - we just got a notice from

the landlord that the bridge between Lippo and HIgh Court (ie the one that goes over Queensway) will be closed, as will the areas next to the bridge. Pathetic. I wanted to watch it and our windows face the other way!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast