Beijing Olympics Security Measures

Closed Thread

Beijing Olympics Security Measures

Looks like Beijing (and perhaps IBM or whoever is in charge of this part of their IT) might be taking some huge risks with implementing a new ticketing system.

In a move unprecedented for the Olympics, tickets for the opening and closing ceremonies are embedded with a microchip containing the bearer's photograph, passport details, addresses, e-mail and telephone numbers.

The intent is to keep potential troublemakers from the 91,000-seat National Stadium as billions watch on TV screens around the world. Along with terrorists, Chinese officials fear protesters might wreck the glitzy ceremonies, unfurling Tibet flags, anti-China banners or even T-shirts adorned with strident messages.

Aside from concerns about privacy and identity theft, the high-tech tickets also threaten chaos at the turnstiles.

Tickets for the Aug. 8 opening ceremony are the most expensive of the Games - with a top price of US$720 - and many are in the hands of dignitaries and friends. Delays could create terrible publicity on opening night.
    and

Microchips are embedded in all Beijing Olympic tickets, but only opening and closing tickets contain the photos and passport data. This makes them - in theory - nontransferable. The other tickets are transferable, and the RFID technology is being touted as a deterrent and an anti-counterfeit device. That's useful in China, which produces fake products from DVDs to heart medicine.
    Never thought about this .. will we be able to buy fake tickets in Shenzhen?

This looks like a PR disaster in the making.

Huge crowds, VIPs, RFID systems storing personal info. Pass me the popcorn.

I'd like to see what the clever guys do with RFID scanners .... look ma, I got Gordon Brown's passport details!